Connor Macgregor Reviews Thread

→ in
Tools    

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Transcendence

Wally Pfister is known for being the cinematographer to Christopher Nolan's filmography. A talented individual, who is responsible for creating the right type of atmosphere needed for Nolan's storytelling. But after The Dark Knight Rises, Pfister decided to go on his own an direct his first film. With Johnny Depp in the lead, and a strong supporting cast in addition, Transcendence seems to be the type of film that could really find a crowd.

Dr. Will Caster (Johnny Depp) is the foremost researcher in the field of Artificial Intelligence, working to create a sentient machine that combines the collective intelligence of everything ever known with the full range of human emotions. His highly controversial experiments have made him famous, but they have also made him the prime target of anti-technology extremists who will do whatever it takes to stop him. However, in their attempt to destroy Will, they inadvertently become the catalyst for him to succeed-to be a participant in his own transcendence. For his wife Evelyn (Rebecca Hall) and best friend Max Waters (Paul Bettany), both fellow researchers, the question is not if they can...but if they should. Their worst fears are realized as Will's thirst for knowledge evolves into a seemingly omnipresent quest for power, to what end is unknown. The only thing that is becoming terrifyingly clear is there may be no way to stop him.

The film itself has a very interesting premise. The idea of Artificial Intelligence is presented very differently in this film, playing it in a realistic story environment. While AI has been tackled before, its here where we really get to the roots of the concept and see this creation evolve in a fascinating way. Johnny Depp does well in the lead, but isn't a performance worth remembering. It was interesting to see him become a villain in this story, a very subtle one I might add, and the way he slowly begins to control the environment around him, from within the cyber space. Supporting performances are strong too. Rebecca Hall does a good job as Will's wife Evelyn and the struggles she goes through, as well as the disbelief and confusion of what is happening around her and what her husband has become. She delivers at really good points in the film. Paul Bettany is also good, but disappoints as the film goes on. His role in the film is quite limited and only to serve story threads. Other good performances include Cillian Murphy, Kate Hara, and Morgan Freeman.

I quite enjoyed some of the sequences in this film, namely the end battle. It was interesting to see just how almost impossible it was to fight what was going on, and how it required a huge sacrifice to assure its defeat. The Special effects were well done, as was the overall direction of the film. It feels like a 70s movie with a very gritty feeling to it. Like a sense of hopelessness attached to the world and its story, and your not really expecting much to come out of it.

Overall, Transcendence is a good film with some intriguing ideas, solid direction, and it leaves you thinking as you walk out the theatre.

Rating - 71% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Under The Skin

Rating - 75% - B+
Thanks for the review I want to see this

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Annie Hall

Its arguably Woody Allen's finest film to date and the one that won him the most oscars in his career. But when one watches Annie Hall, I kind of feel this is slightly overrated in many ways.

Annie Hall is the romantic adventures of neurotic New York comedian Alvy Singer and his equally neurotic girlfriend Annie Hall. The film traces the course of their relationship from their first meeting, and serves as an interesting historical document about love in the 1970s.

This film marks a course of change in Woody Allen's filmmaking, opting for a more serious autobiographical turn in his filmography. The chemistry between Allen & Keaton is strong, and you buy into their characters very quickly. One thing that hooked me about Keaton's character was her fashion sense. I really liked it, as it brought out her character and personality in many different ways. Praise to the costume department for that wonderful transformation. The film also shoots New York very well, really capturing the time the city was in, and giving it a very different personality that film goers maybe used to about present new york films today. It combined its aspirational rich side with its grit rough working class side of it together, adding a very intellectual personality to it. The film's plot is paced very well, and allows you to watch the relationship unfold and the characters change over time, especially Keaton's character. The ending itself is one that really makes you think about relationships, and whether they can really last despite the closeness of the two people involved.

Overall, Annie Hall isn't Woody Allen's best work in my opinion, but it is one to watch and sets the tone and standard for many of his work to come.

Rating - 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug

The Second in the Hobbit trilogy was released this time last year to disappointing numbers. But was it better than the first film?

After successfully crossing over (and under) the Misty Mountains, Thorin and Company must seek aid from a powerful stranger before taking on the dangers of Mirkwood Forest--without their Wizard. If they reach the human settlement of Lake-town it will be time for the hobbit Bilbo Baggins to fulfill his contract with the dwarves. The party must complete the journey to Lonely Mountain and burglar Baggins must seek out the Secret Door that will give them access to the hoard of the dragon Smaug. And, where has Gandalf got off to? And what is his secret business to the south?

I really enjoyed this edition of the series. The film started to take pace with its narrative, and brought back some very much loved characters including Legolas, played by Orlando Bloom. He fits right back into the role and feels like he has never left. The action scenes are top notch keeping you on the edge of your seat throughout the film and letting you believe the time flies. This is also the first proper introduction of Smaug the dragon, voiced and motion captured by Benedict Cumberbatch. He does a beautiful job with the character making him both sinister and funny at the same time. But mostly sinister and exciting to watch. Cumberbatch also voices The Necromancer who plays a smaller but still significant part in the film, towards the film's climax.

Overall, Desolation Of Smaug is an improvement from Film 1 and adds geniune exciting moments to keep the audience engaged, intrigued and wanting more for Film 3.

Rating - 92% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies

The final film in the Hobbit trilogy, destined to put to rest The Middle Earth saga for a generation. But does it live up to expectations?

After the Dragon leaves the castle, the people of lake town see a threat coming, the orcs, dwarves, elves and people prepare for war. Bilbo sees Thorin going mad and tries helping everyone. Meanwhile, Gandalf still needs to break out of the orc prison.

This film is somewhat of a disappointment to me. It lacks the real thrills of an epic battle, and isn't as long in running time as the past instalments. The majority of the focus takes place during a battle between the orc forces of Sauron, and the mixture of Men, Dwarfs & Elves of Middle Earth. It culminates a number of character arcs and sets up the events of The Lord Of The Rings to follow. Martin Freeman comes out strongly in this edition, bringing a sense of grit, determination, and warmth to a grim setting. Richard Armitage also shines in the film, portraying a complex Thorin whose mind is in multiple places and moods. The film's beginning takes place where the last film ended, focusing on Smaug's attack on the village beside The Lonely Mountain. Its a disappointment as its not as long or intense as one would expect, and its pretty much over in 5 minutes. With that comes a gap of plot development and exposition which goes at a snail's pace. When the battle kicks off, its good fun, but compared to Return Of The King it doesn't hold up nearly as good.

Overall, Battle Of The Five Armies is a sweet but lackluster end to The Hobbit Trilogy, and a disappointment overall to The Middle Earth Saga.

Rating - 84% - A-

I believe I did An Unexpected Journey a while back when it came out. Thanks seanc. Not masterpiece critiques but just overall impressions I guess.

Been a while since I posted another review in this thread. Hopefully now, that all changes.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Birdman

One of the most interesting films to have been released in the past number of months in the film world. The Film has gone on to win a number of oscars, baftas, and golden globes to cement its status in cinema, and may have revived a career in the process. But was it just well arranged oscar bait? Is it really a film that will last the time? My review of Birdman.

Actor Riggan Thomson is most famous for his movie role from over twenty years ago of the comic book superhero Birdman in the blockbuster movie of the same name and its two equally popular sequels. His association with the role took over his life, where Birdman is more renowned than "Riggan Thomson" the actor. Now past middle age, Riggan is trying to establish himself as a true artist by writing, directing, starring in and co-producing with his best friend Jake what is his Broadway debut, an adaptation of Raymond Carver's story, What We Talk About When We Talk About Love. He is staking his name, what little artistic reputation that comes with that name and his life savings on the project, and as such will do anything needed to make the play a success. As he and Jake go through the process of the previews toward opening night, Riggan runs into several issues: needing to find a replacement for the integral supporting male role the night before the first preview; hiring the talented Broadway name, Mike Shiner, for that role, Mike who ends up being difficult to work with and who may end up overshadowing Riggan in the play; having to deal potentially with a lawsuit based on one of his actions to ensure success; needing to be there for his daughter, Sam, who he has hired to be his production assistant and who has just come out of drug rehab; and pleasing the New York Times critic, Tabitha Dickinson, who wants to use any excuse to give the play a scathing review which in turn would close the show after the opening night performance. But Riggan's biggest problem may be his own insecurities, which are manifested by him constantly hearing what he believes to be the truth from the voice of his Birdman character, who he often battles both internally and externally.

There is a lot to admire in Birdman. Its a film where each performance stands out as its own, and all contribute to an ensemble unlike anything seen in years. But that's the problem with BIrdman: Its a film all about performances and nothing else. The film's plot doesn't feel very complex nor believable enough to be sucked into the story. Every now or then, I'd be pulled out after I notice some error or praise there and then. There's also the whole idea of the film. Its a film satirising anything and everything you decide it to be. It satirises comic books, cinema, broadway, life behind the scenes, life in the spotlight, and trying to rebuild what is a broken career. I kind of felt the film was trying to make a comment on the state of cinema in a sense; a rather stuck up snootish look at the run down state of hollywood & broadway, and how american media has descended into obsession with franchises, stars, and the opinions of those so detached from the mainstream and agenda driven towards the talent attached.

Compare this film to Boyhood and I prefer Boyhood by a mile. Boyhood was all about celebrating cinema, and how cinema has evolved as well as the world as a whole, and did so in a creative way. Birdman came off to me as cynical and opinionated. Despite that, I'll give it full marks mainly because I was thoroughly entertained throughout, and would welcome another viewing regardless of my views.

Review = 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Pitch Perfect 2

Sequel is up for what was the surprise hit of 2012. Pitch Perfect 2 hopes to extend in quality and quantity from the first edition. But how far will the film go?

The Bellas are back, and they are better than ever. After being humiliated in front of none other than the President of the United States of America, the Bellas are taken out of the Aca-Circuit. In order to clear their name and regain their status, the Bellas take on a seemingly impossible task: winning an International competition no American team has ever won. In order to accomplish this monumental task, they need to strengthen the bonds of friendship and sisterhood, and blow away the competition with their amazing aca-magic! With all new friends and old rivals tagging along for the trip, the Bellas can hopefully accomplish their dreams once again.

Compared to the first film, Pitch Perfect 2 is a tad dissapointing. But only a tad. The film overall is fun to watch, and very much like the first film, you find yourself tapping away to the music as the film rolls on. The jokes are strong, and made me laugh on a number of occasions. Performances are also very good. Anna Kendrick continues to shine as her career goes from strength to strength. Rebel Wilson is also terrific and adds her own comedic style to the picture with great success. Hailee Steinfeld also delivers very well in the film, and becomes a very good supporting role throughout the film, having her own moments of humour as the film goes on. The one downside in terms of characters was the weakness of the male characters. I understand this is meant to be a film aimed at females, so therefore strong female characters, but the males felt very underdeveloped and just there for background decoration. It was a bit disappointing and something that they got so well with the first Pitch Perfect film. If there is a third edition, that is something that should be looked at better.

Overall, Pitch Perfect 2 is a strong sequel from the first edition, despite one or two flaws, and is an excellent family film with funny jokes, characters, and story.

Rating - 93% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Avengers: Age Of Ultron

The first Avengers film broke records and a few tearducts during its initial run in 2012 (And hearts if you were die hard Batman fans). So anticipation for the second instalment has been high, hoping for a repeat performance of the first film, critically and commercially.

When Tony Stark tries to jumpstart a dormant peacekeeping program, things go awry and Earth's Mightiest Heroes, including Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Incredible Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye, are put to the ultimate test as the fate of the planet hangs in the balance. As the villainous Ultron emerges, it is up to the Avengers to stop him from enacting his terrible plans, and soon uneasy alliances and unexpected action pave the way for a global adventure.

The first Avengers film still feels like some form of a masterpiece after repeated viewings. The build up is great, the dynamics work, and the climax is spectacular to sit through. However, the second film sadly doesn't repeat a lot of those things. While the dynamics still worked in a sense, the structure and pacing of the picture didn't flow smoothly like the last time. The new additions worked quite well, and helped spice up the film by having super powered characters on both the good and evil camps. Elizabeth Olsen was terrific as the Scarlet Witch, making her one of the most interesting and exciting female superhero characters I've seen since the genre's inception. I relish the opportunity to explore her more. James Spader was amazing as Ultron. A really well fleshed out villain with his own plans, desires and philosophy of life all discovered in a brief period of time. Out of the existing characters, Jeremy Renner had his shining moment with Hawkeye and was very good. Scarlett Johansson was also great as Black Widow (Isn't she always?), as well as Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk. Their little love subplot was quite sweet to watch at times.

Overall, Age Of Ultron was a good sequel but didn't quite have the magic that Avengers 1 had. Still, its an entertaining romp and highly recommend to all.

Rating - 94% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Radio Days

This is a film I really didn't expect to be this good. Even though I've enjoyed a lot of Woody Allen films that I've seen so far, but after finishing this one, I must admit that this is up there as one of his best. And I'm going to tell you why.

Several generations of a family packed into a pre-War Rockaway house always have the radio on. The fearless Masked Avenger, breakfast-show socialites (and philanderers) Roger and Irene, and Sally the Cigarette Girl are almost important as, say, whether the Pacific is a better ocean than the Atlantic, or even what your dad actually does for a living.

I absolutely adored this film. To me, I think this is Woody Allen's best film, or my personal favourite Woody Allen picture. The film is clearly a love letter to the golden years of American Radio, a romantic time of glamour, imagination, and family. Allen writes some amazing characters from all walks of life, and gives us small stories likely inspired by real life radio stories, or ones he wishes were real life. Performances are beautiful and funny to watch at the same time. Seth Green plays the young Woody Allen role in this flick and does really well. Mia Farrow's part is funny and nice to watch, going from a plucky down on her luck singer into a really successful career in radio. Dianne West's character is actually quite a sad one as she hunts down for a potential husband. She does the role well, but its quite frown producing to watch. Little supporting roles are there and then like Wallace Shawn for example, which add that special magic to the film.

Overall, Radio Days is one of my new favourites that I've found in recent years. Its charming, nostalgic, and richly rewarding for a wonderful story.

Rating - 100% - A+

So its been a bit of a while since I did reviews here. Life has gotten in the way, and I've been watching films a lot less. Never the less, I'm going to kick start this up again. Only I'm going to try a new format to make things a bit easier to write. Let's see how this goes.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

Katniss Everdeen is in District 13 after she shatters the games forever. Under the leadership of President Coin and the advice of her trusted friends, Katniss spreads her wings as she fights to save Peeta and a nation moved by her courage.

POSITIVES

Performances

The great strength about this franchise is its talent. Headlined by Jennifer Lawrence, the performances create a believable scenario of a group of rebellious characters both angry and terrified at the same time. Lawrence is the most emotional, but also the most head strong. Guided by a lash of anger, and a determination to help, she leads the rebellion throughout the districts in a bid for true democracy. Liam Hemsworth & Josh Hutcherson are both great supporting Lawrence, with kudos to Hemsworth who really takes over whilst Hutcherson's character Peeta is held in the Capitol. Extra performances by Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Julianne Moore, and Willow Shields also stand out strong. Despite that however, I'm still unconvinced by Donald Sutherland's villainy in this series. I just didn't buy it at all. There's no sense of fear in his performance at all and its quite awkward to watch.

A Great Sense Of Dread

The production design of the Hunger Games has always been great. Mockingjay Part 1 continued to expand the world of Panem, and show the horror and grimness of what war can bring. The scene of the ruined District 12 and the horror of Katniss's face is very good viewing. Her reacting to the bombed District 12 is an amazing scene. Sad, horrified, but angry. The team did a strong job of creating a contrast of the weird, rich, aloofness of the Capitol from the poor, ragged, hungry districts both in environment, fashion, and mood.

NEGATIVES

Slight Act Of Action

There is action, in fact, a good amount of action. But it was either underwhelming or too short for the film. Action pieces could have been longer, and definitely more thrilling. Maybe a shootout between the Capitol & Rebels, or a fight scene of sorts. But it felt underwhelming to watch, and made me irk for more. Which really leads me to my next point.

No Need For Two Parter

The Two Parter setup is designed to milk money. Twilight did it, Hunger Games has done it, and Divergent will do it. There really is no need as it justs ruins the narrative. One big epic film with a running time of over 3 hours can work, even if it does redden arse cheeks. But a worthwhile epic film with strong reviews, can lure in the extra bucks, rather than split it in two and get half the pleasure as a result.

Overall

Mockingjay Part 1 is well done, but with flaws. Great performances and pacing make up from the lackluster action.

Rating - 81% - A-

Connor Macgregor Re-Reviews Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Two Jedi Knights escape a hostile blockade to find allies and come across a young boy who may bring balance to the Force, but the long dormant Sith resurface to reclaim their old glory.

POSITIVES

Strong World Building
I still hold firm that this film really builds the world of Star Wars well, pre-original days. You get a good idea of the politics, the culture, the troubles, the conflict, and the environment of the planets. Naboo is beautiful and peaceful, Tatooine is rough and dark, Corosant is cold and corrupt, Plus each have their own unique setting. Tatooine is of course based around desert, Naboo is modeled off nature, and Corosant from the city. The effects and designs of the world are gorgeous, and stay true to the folklore of Star Wars.

Feels Like An Adventure
I know a lot of people critique the plot of this film, but I feel it fits very much like a good quest/adventure film. You feel the heroes mental and physical exhaustion and momentous task ahead of them, and the things they have to do to achieve it. Sure, being on tatooine doesn't really serve a purpose to the plot of getting to corosant, and is merely an obstacle for future films. But its still exciting, and you wonder whether or not the characters will get out or not, and how they take to Anakin joining them on their quest.

The Lightsaber Duel
One thing the prequels get right is the lightsaber duels. They are better cheorographed, more intense, and showcase the prime of the Jedi. The climax in general is great fun. Having four battles intercut with each other shows the huge uphill battle the heroes have to face. But the lightsaber battle itself is the most exciting, and the most intense. Darth Maul is badass and puts up his all against Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan. Obi Wan & Darth Maul's fight is bloody breathtaking. They go so fast that you feel like you have to re watch it again just to remind yourself what you just saw.

NEGATIVES

Jake Lloyd & Jar Jar
The two biggest hatreds of these films lie in Episode I. And I'm not going to pretend I like them myself. Jake Lloyd is just not that great of an actor. By that I mean he poorly delivers his lines, and often comes off hockey and cringe worthy on screen. Jar Jar Binks on the other hand I didn't really have that big a deal with. I didn't hate him as much as other fans did, but I didn't like him either. Much of the comedy is put on him, and its just all wrong. The way he speaks, behaves, and responds to events on screen is all wrong. Its a shame because these two characters had potential (Well, Anakin at least) to be a lot better than they actually were.

Overall
The Phantom Menace is still an underrated film in my opinion, and I'll continue to champion it until my last breath.

Rating - 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Re-Reviews Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones

Ten years after initially meeting, Anakin Skywalker shares a forbidden romance with Padmé, while Obi-Wan investigates an assassination attempt on the Senator and discovers a secret clone army crafted for the Jedi.

POSITIVES

Great Mystery Element
The Assisination/Bounty Hunter plot in this film is actually rather intriguing. You're slowly lured into this very engaging mystery that ultimately leads to Geonosis. Jango Fett i'd argue is leagues better than Boba Fett. A better fighter and more intelligent on the battlefield. It leads to the introduction of the clone troopers, which ultimately plays a huge role in the re shaping of the galaxy.

Ewan Macgregor
Whilst many people critiqued the acting of the prequels, Ewan Macgregor is the only one that really pulls through as Obi-Wan. Many will say his performance in Episode III is superior, but I think in here he plays a very interesting side of Obi-Wan. One that's trying to mentor a difficult apprentice in Anakin, as well as trying to focus on being a strong and wise jedi knight in the face of danger. His performance is very good here, and will continue to shine in the next episode.

NEGATIVES

Anakin/Padme
The dialogue for these scenes are so painful. There's no defending this; its some of the worst dialogue ever uttered in film. Both actors suffer hugely, especially Hayden Christensen. It destroys the legacy of Luke & Leia pretty quickly and makes Anakin out to be a creepy sociopathic stalker.

Slow Burner
The film really suffers in pacing. A lot of filler is thrown in the film, and brings down the whole morale of the story. The second act mainly suffers, in particularly with tatooine and naboo being difficult to chew, especially the poor writing of the love subplot.

Overall

Attack Of The Clones is by far the weakest of the Star Wars films, suffering from bad pacing, and a truckload of filler that isn't really needed.

Rating - 80% - B+

Enjoyed reading your review of Alice, a film I saw for the first time a couple of weeks ago (I also reviewed it on my thread). I liked it a lot and I, too,was troubled by Keye Luke's character, but I liked the film for the most part. My favorite part of the movie was Alice's encounter with the Alec Baldwin ghost.

Thank God, someone else who didn't find Annie Hall to be the be all and end all of his work...I agree with you I think there are at least half a dozen films of his that are better. I agree that the chemistry between Keaton and Allen is strong, but the film seems to be a lot more about Alvy than it is about Annie...I would have called the film Alvy Singer.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Wolf Of Wall Street

Martin Scorsese is one of America's most prolific filmmakers, focusing on themes such as power, the abuse of power and the consequence of power. Bit power focused isn't it. Wish I could say The Wolf Of Wall Street was any different, but despite its focus on the only theme Scorsese seems to do well in, its a film with its own attitude and its own style.

In The Wolf of Wall Street DiCaprio plays Belfort, a Long Island penny stockbroker who served 36 months in prison for defrauding investors in a massive 1990s securities scam that involved widespread corruption on Wall Street and in the corporate banking world, including shoe designer Steve Madden.

The strengths of this film is the performances. DiCaprio is marvellous as Belfort, playing a despicable power hungry man who aims to get as much wealth and money as he possibly can, throwing everything that he can to succeed. Jonah Hill plays Donnie, Belfort's best friend and sidekick during this whole story. Hill's performance is also very good and does well with the material given, which he delivers mostly in a black comedy style of performance. Margot Robbie also shines in this film. The former neighbours star makes her prescience known with this first taste in Hollywood. She's sexy, spiky and very full of personality. She's also the only character that really matures throughout the whole film, starting off as a sex hungry woman who sees Belfort only as a way of getting to the top, to a woman with her own ambitions but her own frustrations in life too.

Scorsese directs very well too. One problem many audiences say about this film is the depiction of nudity and woman. I'll admit that its very bias towards men and the lifestyle of men in this period, but its not meant to be advertising its lifestyle. Its idea is to show that this attitude leads to self destruction and the downfall of an individual. I'll admit the nudity is a bit too forward, but only just.

Overall, The Wolf Of Wall Street is a terrific picture with a style, a personality, an attitude and a story to be told.

Rating - 100% - A+
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one...you liked this movie a lot more than I did, but I did enjoy reading your review.

Connor Macgregor reviews...Deadpool

Deadpool is the perfect politically incorrect film of the era. It’s unapologetic in nature, dirty in dialogue, and its violence perfect for the blood hungry audience of today. 7 years after his disastrous debut in the form of X Men Origins:Wolverine, Ryan Reynolds has finally brought to cinemas the faithful, foul-mouthed, fourth wall loving anti hero audiences have long been gagging for. Cock jokes and all.

Billed at $58 million, the film’s plot is simple: Ryan Reynolds is Wade Wilson, a mercenary who falls in love with Vanessa (Morena Baccarin) when they meet at a bar. Their love nest is cut short when Wade discovers he has cancer. To cure himself, he turns to the mysterious Ajax (Ed Skrein), who develops a serum that makes Wade an immortal, but grotesque, superhuman in the process. Angry and vengeful, he dons the persona “Deadpool” to hunt down Ajax and his organization for sweet blood thirsty revenge. All with the witty fourth wall self-referential humour to add.

The key player to Deadpool’s brilliance, and always has been, is Ryan Reynolds. The 39 year old has longed for the opportunity to play the anti hero for years, finally getting the chance in 2009. The film however was widely panned, with the character infamously having his mouth glued tight, becoming a massive laughing stock in the process. But with the opportunity to finally portray a more faithful take on the character, Reynolds throws his all at the screen with pure wit, relentless sarcasm, and a fresh persona on screen. Just watching the film, you can see the love he has for the role and how creatively free he feels in it.
Another factor is the film’s script. The screenplay takes the formulaic stories of boy meets girl, mashes it with a typical superhero origins story, and then proceeds to tear them to absolute pieces, before masterfully remoulding it into a spoof film with splashier special effects. It’s creativity at its finest. And then of course, the fourth wall humour. Very rarely can a film use this device correctly, and win audiences around. The Muppets is one, Ferris Bueller another. But here’s Deadpool, embracing the fourth wall like it's apart of his personality. He wears it like a badge, knows when to use it throughout the film, and whether it be a visual joke or a clever pun, he allows audiences in on the joke. In short, the fourth wall is Deadpool's best friend.

As I’m writing, the film has taken over $280 million in a number of days. Obviously a resounding success, thanks to the film’s genius marketing campaign and pre-existing fan base which Hollywood is always happy to cater to. But also, it’s down to Deadpool as a character. Beloved at comic cons, and widely praised around the web, his (proper) arrival to cinema, whilst not a perfect entry, has been eagerly awaited. And now that he’s arrived, the comic book genre is set to be shaken in a way it never has before.

Rating - 81% - A-