The AntiChrist in the Movies

Tools    

The son of Satan... the devil's disciple... we all know him as the ultimate horror villain.

Let's talk about the antichrist in the movies.

The Omen movies (I think there were 4 of them in all) are the most obvious ones that come to mind. The original movie, The Omen, with Gregory Peck and David Warner remains, in my mind, one of the most chilling movies I have ever seen--especially the scene in which the photographer (Warner) gets beheaded in what looks like a freak accident. That scene has got to be the ultimate chiller. Another terrifying scene is the one in which Gregory Peck is attacked by a pack of snarling dogs in the cemetery. Those were some pretty hellishly mean dogs!

The third Omen movie with Sam Neil playing the adult Damien in his bid to take over the world is kind of lame, IMO. But still, Neil does a somewhat okay job of portraying the son of Satan in his adulthood.

Rosemary's Baby is another movie about the birth of the antichrist. Directed by the ever-controversial Roman Polanski, it stars Mia Farrow as a paranoid mother-to-be afraid that her friends and neighbors all belong to a coven of witches who have designs to sacrifice her baby in a satanic ritual. Turns out that she is only half right--her friends and neighbors are, in fact, satan worshippers, but the baby she is carrying is really the antichrist, conceived in the course of a satanic ritual while she was drugged by her own husband and coerced into participating. This is a pretty freaky movie, especially in its depiction of Rosemary's mounting paranoia, but the twist at the end redeems it somewhat.

A more recent movie, The Omega Code stars Casper Van Dien as the heroic protagonist and Michael York as the antichrist. It's a closer approximation to the Book of Revelations in its depiction of the antichrist. As a movie, it is interesting, but not the greatest. The sequel, Megiddo: The Omega Code II, stars Franco Nero as an Italian general and principal of a military academy who tutors the young antichrist. The antichrist subsequently marries his daughter. It also stars Michael York reprising his role as the adult Stone Alexander (the antichrist) and Michael Biehn (from the Terminator) as the antichrist's younger brother. It's pretty far-fetched, really, because it depicts Michael York's character (Stone Alexander) become the leader of the European Union and, at the same time, Michael Biehn's character, the antichrist's younger brother, becoming the President of the United States! In the climactic sequence in the battle of Armageddon, Michael Biehn dukes it out with Michael York mono-e-mono, but is overcome when Michael York suddenly transforms into the devil (portrayed with CGI as a big, ugly, green monster)! Michael Biehn is then imprisoned, but then, Jesus returns to save the day at the very end! So, while the story is based on Bible prophecies, the end result is kind of cheesy, IMO! So watch it at your discretion!

That's pretty much all I can think of in terms of nasty movies about the antichrist. As this is a notoriously morbid and nasty theme, it isn't always fun to talk about or watch on film, which is why the movies are not always the greatest or the most uplifting. Still, as an offbeat horror genre, it isn't bad, sometimes.

Oh yeah, and I forgot the 3 recent Star Wars prequel movies, depicting the rise of Darth Vader--in a sense, they could be said to metaphorically represent the rise of the antichrist. Or maybe that's stretching it, and we're just talking about a sci-fi movie villain. You decide!

Another movie addressing a similar theme is the excellent movie The Boys from Brazil based on a novel by Ira Levin. This movie has Gregory Peck playing the (now deceased) infamous Nazi geneticist and war criminal, Dr. Josef Mengele as the leader of a secret neo-Nazi cult based in South America. Mengele's plot is to clone Adolf Hitler and recreate the circumstances of his life in an attempt to resurrect the Third Reich. The movie begins with Mengele ordering the murder of some 50 obscure civil servants all over the world. Lawrence Olivier plays a Jewish Nazi-hunter, Ezra Lieberman, who, following a telephone lead, traces these murders to Mengele's cult. The movie's climax is a confrontation between Olivier and Peck in a Massachussets farm-house in which one of Mengele's Hitler clones is being raised. The movie ends with a chilling sequence in which Mengele (played by Peck) attempts to gain the confidence of one of his young Adolf Hitler clones after just having murdered the kid's father (in Shakespearian fashion), but the kid responds, in a chilling sequence, by ordering his dogs to attack and kill Mengele, while the kid (an amateur photographer) looks on an takes photographs of the scene. This is an excellent thriller and has a great cast--I highly recommend this movie!

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
What about Tim Curry in Legend? Very creapy, the special effects and make-up are amazing, if you haven't seen this, I recommend it, it stars a very young Tom Cruise, and the babelicious Mia Sara(best known for being Ferris' Bueller's girlfriend) and is directed by Ridely Scott.
Another film I recommend although the effects look a bit dated is Alan Parker's " Angel Heart ", Satan is played by Robert De Niro-Louis Cypher(LouCypher-get it) great performance from him and Mickey Rouke when he still had his own nose and face.

Worst performance of Satan recently is Gabriel Byrne in End of Days with Arnie, hey what d'ya expect it's an Arnie movie.
There are loads more, but my brain is drenched in alcohol at the mo, perk of being Scottish, will return if I remember anymore.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

The People's Republic of Clogher
Mrs Thatcher's been in a movie?

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Mrs Thatcher's been in a movie?
Lol!

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
undoubtedly End of Days hada great portrayal of the devil, he was fantastic, Gabriel Byrne did a real good job an he was extra creepy.

Have we forgotten about The Devils Advocate?

Originally Posted by The Blister Exists
Have we forgotten about The Devils Advocate?
I know that Al Pacino was the devil and Keanu Reeves was the advocate, but who was the antichrist in that movie? Unless what you're saying is that Keanu Reeves was the antichrist.

Bah Vader doesn't really fit in as the antichrist. rosemary's baby does however.

A system of cells interlinked
Wasn't the beheading in the Omen II? Been a long time since I saw the films...

Having trouble coming up with any other antichrist films, as well.

Originally Posted by Sedai
Wasn't the beheading in the Omen II? Been a long time since I saw the films...
He's talking about when the photographer is beheaded by the pane of glass which was indeed in The Omen. I personally prefer the elevator scene in Omen II though, I remember it being scarier.

Originally Posted by darkhorse
Is this some sort of joke?
Too funny to be true?

Is this some sort of joke?

It's just another SPAMMER ....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Spam... spam... spam...!

What is this... Monty Python's Spamalot? lol!

Spam... spam... spam...!

What is this... Monty Python's Spamalot? lol!
Spem sine corpore amat, corpus putat esse, quod umbra est.

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by undercoverlover
undoubtedly End of Days hada great portrayal of the devil, he was fantastic, Gabriel Byrne did a real good job an he was extra creepy.
True true, that guy freaked me out.

Originally Posted by Kind
Spem sine corpore amat, corpus putat esse, quod umbra est.
I ran this through Latin-English translation software, and this is what I get: "Spem without fleshly amat, corporis pruner to be, and shade is." So, I guess, my question is: "What the heck does this mean?"

Originally Posted by SpoOkY
True true, that guy freaked me out.
Lol! End of Days is far from Arnold's best! I was laughing through that movie more than I was getting creeped out, sorry to say! Especially in the "satanic ritual" sequences--was that hoaky or what?!

The Anti-Christ should get a movie that befits his royal heritage. Omen 3 was cool.