Documentaries

Tools    

So glad this was free with Prime. A hot mess. $20,000,000 for the album & this so-called movie. Documentary?

So glad this was free with Prime. A hot mess. $20,000,000 for the album & this so-called movie. Documentary?
So.... not likely to get an Oscar nomination for best documentary of 2024, huh?

Having watched the 5 feature-length documentaries that are up for the Oscars this year, I really have to say, they are all really amazing, but the topics they cover are also really bleak and almost depressing to watch.

More than any other year in recent memory, it really takes a strong stomach to sit through all of them, especially if you watch them in quick succession.

Oppenheimer: The Real Story (2023)

It tries to tackle a whooole lot in less than 2 hours, and it does tend to focus most on Oppenheimer himself as opposed to his work.

The trick is not minding
The Exit of the Trains was a recent Romanian documentary I watched last month that was simply amazing. Photographs of Jewish victims who were killed during the Iasi Pogrom are shown, with an accompanying narration about how they were murdered,*

This goes on for 2 hours and 40 mins, and then we are shown the real atrocities. For the last 20 minutes, Photographs of the massacre are revealed on screen, and it isn’t for the faint at heart. We’re talking bloody bullet riddled bodies on the side of the road or near the walls, where they were executed.

The Romanian officials who carried it out really did photograph the event, and some even seem to be posing for the camera.

Loved this. And it was 3-1/2 hours long!
15 Hours is better.

Frederick Wiseman directed this 4 hours long documentary. I loved it & could have watched more.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Where's My Roy Cohn?
There's some archival footage I've never seen before, and a few stories I hadn't been privy to, so I'll see the rest of this (after doing a quick browse)

Four hours long & there is a 36 hour version if one desires it. Very interesting. Based on a book written by McQueen’s wife BiancaStigter.

Climate: The Movie (The Cold Truth) (2023)

For those who suspect that the so called "climate crisis" is a scam, this documentary completely refutes the international climate hoax and the reasons behind its proliferation. Featuring well established respected scientists, they reveal why human beings have nothing to do with changes in climate.

Interesting. From Estonia.
I watched this today because of your post. I really liked it. I found it to be beautiful and compelling. I would like to see more films like this.

Weird. Trying to post TOTAL TRUST in documentaries thread. It’s about surveillance in China & is darn scary. Every time I try to upload the cover shot I get this message:

“Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.”

@Yoda

Weird. Trying to post TOTAL TRUST in documentaries thread. It’s about surveillance in China & is darn scary. Every time I try to upload the cover shot I get this message:

“Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.”

@Yoda
This happens if a page (like a reply page or a private message page) is left open for a long time. If you then try to submit the form without refreshing the page, it'll give the above error. If you refresh before submitting it should be fine.

The logic underlying that is that each visit has a security token, so if you're away for a long time the token expires. Which is fine for just browsing but causes a mismatch if the very old, unrefreshed page attempts to actually post data to the site.