Daniel Craig in "Layer Cake" Excellent crime movie

→ in
Tools    

WARNING: "Layer Cake" spoilers below
WARNING! "Layer Cake" spoilers inside

I just watched Layer Cake starring Daniel Craig (the new James Bond, in case you didn't know ), and I think it's a great movie. Read my review at Epinions to find out my thoughts: http://www.epinions.com/content_316897136260

Here's my review in case that link doesn't work:

The feeling of being trapped when wanting to escape from a dangerous world is what the film Layer Cake explores, which is brought to life thanks to the penetrating acting talent of Daniel Craig.

Layer Cake paints the picture of a good-willed cocaine dealer who wants to leave his life of crime, but like the crime code declares: once you’re in, there’s no getting out.

The ruggedness of the British crime world depicted in Layer Cake matches well with Daniel Craig’s rugged, yet regal face. That oxymoron is important because the central meaning of the film is that Daniel Craig’s nameless drug dealer is a piece of elegance amidst a world of sloppy violence.

Craig plays his drug dealer character as a tortured soul. When his drug dealer is ordered to execute a man, Craig does the deed, but it has insomnia-inducing effects on him. It’s his conscience that’s in the way.

The fact that Craig’s drug dealer does not belong in the crime world is pointed out countless times throughout the movie. One of the instances is when crime boss Eddie Temple (played by Michael Gambon) tells Craig that he is a “bright young man” with “potential.” That bright potential can be seen immediately in Craig’s wide ice-blue eyes. Another instance of Craig’s diamond-amongst-slime status is the fact that Craig’s only act of violence in Layer Cake is reluctantly killing a man with a silenced gun.

The drug dealer that Craig portrays is a man who has gotten involved with the wrong crowd, which is the theme of so many movies about good-willed heroes. Craig reaches out to touch the world he longs to be apart of by trying to find love and companionship, but is interrupted by the endless demands of Craig’s profession.

Unlike a film like Kill Bill, which has scenes that are not sequenced chronologically, Layer Cake tells a coherent story from beginning to end. There are plot points that are shown on camera, but not referenced until thirty minutes later. But the point is the storyline is not over the audience’s heads. The film’s plot points are piled smoothly on top of each other like an intricate, yet simply delicious “layered cake.”

The cinematography of Layer Cake is as rugged and elegant as Daniel Craig’s character is. The film’s juxtaposition of camera frames speaks its own language that is as expressive as the dialogue is. There’s an intense close-up of Craig’s blue eyes that penetrates through the screen. The viewer can almost see through to Craig’s soul. It is appropriate to say that the film’s visuals are a lesson in rugged sleekness.

The plight of Daniel Craig’s drug dealer seems to be headed towards happiness, but the viewer gets the feeling that the old crime code of being in and never getting out will chain Craig forever. It seems that what Layer Cake is conveying is that Craig’s drug dealer will find happiness only in death.

Originally Posted by diamondgeeza
Although Layer Cake is a good film, I think that Snatch, Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels and Love, Honour & Obey are better
I've never seen or heard of those movies you just mentioned. Thanks though, I might check them out.

Originally Posted by kinglear
I've never seen or heard of those movies you just mentioned. Thanks though, I might check them out.
That would be very wise of you to check those out kinglear. Those two movies diamondgeeza just mentioned are among my top favorites. Love them. Layer Cake was very entertaining for me as well but as he said, those seem to be a little better out of Guy Ritchie's films.

I was a little shocked at the ending of Layer Cake too. I think I would have preferred one of the alternate endings over it though.

Originally Posted by Escape

I was a little shocked at the ending of Layer Cake too. I think I would have preferred one of the alternate endings over it though.
Yeah, I thought there was going to be a happy ending, but when he got shot, I was like WTF? I wonder why that Sydney kid shot Daniel Craig? Was it because Sydney was jealous that Craig was with Sienna Miller? I'm assuming that one of the alternate endings was Craig walking out of the mansion safely. What were the other alternate endings?

Dude, quick, wrap a spoiler tag around that or your going to create some enemies around here lol.

WARNING: "layercake" spoilers below
Yes, that kid shot him for taking his woman. He avoided getting shot by the drug smuglers, the kidnappers, the hitman, the conman, the kingpin man hehe, but he gets plugged by a guy who he never thought would consider doing it. Of course he was an a$$ for taking the chaps woman but that's besides the point.

Dude, quick, wrap a spoiler tag around that or your going to create some enemies around here lol.
How do I do that?

How do I do that?
I just did one. Insert [spoilers=name of the movie][/ spoilers] Put your comment between the opening and closing tags.

Okay, I finally added the tags.
Nooooooooo kinglear.
Your supposed to put the actual name of the movie where I said "name of the movie" heheh. And usually the spoiler tags go between the line or paragarphs that give away majory spoilers of the movie.

Nooooooooo kinglear.
Your supposed to put the actual name of the movie where I said "name of the movie" heheh. And usually the spoiler tags go between the line or paragarphs that give away majory spoilers of the movie.
Well don't I feel stupid. I actually did put the movie name, but I put it between the tags. I'm not used the whole "spoiler tag" thing. Thanks for the info

I'm not used the whole "spoiler tag" thing. Thanks for the info
Oh not prob mate. And you forgot one crucial spoiler. Where it gives out the ending.

Oh not prob mate. And you forgot one crucial spoiler. Where it gives out the ending.
I never said officially that it was the ending. I just alluded to it. Does that count?

Registered Abuser
Lock, stock and two smoking barrels, Snatch and Layer Cake were all good movies. I'd previously seen Daniel Craig in the movie Road to Perdition and I though choosing him as the lead role in Layer Cake was a great move. He's an excellent actor.

The People's Republic of Clogher
I think Layer Cake is an excellent movie, far better than anything that Vaughn's best mate has done.

1,000,000 bonus points for including The Cult's She Sells Sanctuary, even though it wasn't first choice...