The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

It's a little early, but I think my list's rankings will be something like this:

1. Top 10
2. Top 5
3. Top 5
4. Top 10
5. Top 40
6. Top 40
7. Not going to make it!
8. Top 5
9. Top 50
10. Top 30
11. Top 50
12. All That Jazz (1979) - #96
13. Top 50
14. Top 50
15. Top 40
16. Top 40
17. F for Fake (1973) - #82
18. Top 60
19. MASH (1970) - #78
20. Not going to make it!
21. The Conformist (1970) - #71
22. Not going to make it!
23. Not going to make it!
24. Top 30
25. Farewell, My Lovely (1975) - 1 POINT

I will save this prediction to see how right I am.

Awesome last couple updates... my list that's appeared on here:

#9 F for Fake
#13 Suspiria
#16 Walkabout
#17 Spirit of the Beehive
#22 Jeanne Dielman

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Mine:

1. Will make it top 30
2. Will make it top 5
3. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul #85
4. Will hopefully make it, probably quite soon
5. No chance
6. Will make it, top 50
7. Will make it. I think.
8. Will be number 1
9. Will make it, probable top 10
10. Will make it, probably top 30
11. No chance
12. Will make it, top 25, maybe higher
13. Will make it. I think.
14. Will make it, top 25
15. Should make it.
16. Will make it, could be anywhere.
17. Will make it, top 5
18. Will make it, any time soon
19. Will probably make it. Thought it might have shown up already, actually.
20. Will make it, top 30
21. No chance
22. No chance
23. I really don't know if this will make it or not.
24. Will. Surely it will. Don't know how high.
25. All That Jazz #96

Seen both, liked both, voted for neither, and I probably owe both a re-watch.

The Spirit of the Beehive is beautiful, poignant, incredibly well-made, yet I didn't connect with it as much as I would've liked. I'm a bit surprised to see it at this point on the countdown, but it's a worthy entry.

I was expecting Little Big Man to be a serious western, so the comedic tone threw me off at first. I was like, "Is this supposed to be funny? Should I be laughing at this?" It soon became obvious that, yeah, the humor is very much intentional. I enjoyed the movie, but it's been a few years since I watched it. The only complaint I remember having is that I thought the pacing lagged a bit. (At times it felt like the movie was almost as long as Hoffman's character.) I expect to like the movie more on a second watch.

Tons of interesting films showed up. I am mostly ignorant of 70's cinema so I haven't watched most of those but some sound very interesting.
Yet you were one of the first members to submit a list, and you argued that you had seen every 70's movie worth seeing.

Isn't there a scene in Little Big Man where Dustin Hoffman gets bathed?

Oh, yes:

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	lbbath.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	16563  

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yet you were one of the first members to submit a list, and you argued that you had seen every 70's movie worth seeing.
You got it all wrong! He's seen every anime film worth seeing from the 70's!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Absolutely hated it - bad acting, bad script, silly story, not scary ... Having said that, it was a little while ago that I saw it and I'd probably feel different about it now - will re-watch it one day.

40 movies in, here's how my list looks so far.

7. Straw Dogs
17. Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
23. The Holy Mountain

bad acting, bad script, silly story, not scary ...
Understandable. Stunning visuals tho, wouldn't you agree? It deserves to be ranked a little bit higher based on that alone, but maybe that's why you gave it the one popcorn box after all.

Attention: the first post in this thread just hit +50. And yes, that's a record. By a wide margin.

The next highest post is +40, and it was the post where Holden solicited submissions for this same list. After that two posts are tied at +37--Skepsis' initial post in the 1980s list thread, and the post where I announced I was engaged.

Awesome work, Holds! And great job everyone else for being so enthusiastic about it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Let's make it to 51.

EDIT: Done. I didn't rep it before.

Attention: the first post in this thread just hit +50. And yes, that's a record. By a wide margin.
I was the one who gave him his 50th rep!!!

I was the one who gave him his 50th rep!!!
Yeah, but you're not real so it doesn't count.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Yeah, but you're not real so it doesn't count.
Macho sh!thead!