A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
I got the All the Haunts be Ours box set from Severin for Christmas so I am definitely merry and will definitely have some films to talk about in the near future.

https://severinfilms.com/products/folk-horror-box
I've seen 10, cool boxset there.

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who

Victim of The Night
I got the All the Haunts be Ours box set from Severin for Christmas so I am definitely merry and will definitely have some films to talk about in the near future.

https://severinfilms.com/products/folk-horror-box
It looks like I've actually seen a bunch of these, mostly on Shudder who, I guess, had almost all of them. For what' it's worth I've really enjoyed all the ones I've seen.

Yes, I know. But I'd still like to see their tier for Cronenberg, just for a sense of what they think is above it (see crumbsroom).
A quick attempt at a tier list:

A: Shivers. Videodrome, Rabid
B: Eastern Promises, The Brood, A History of Violence
C: Naked Lunch, The Fly
D: Scanners, eXistenZ, The Dead Zone
F: Crimes of the Future (2022)

I really need to rewatch Crash, but I remember liking it back in the day. I don't think I've seen the others.

A quick attempt at a tier list:

A: Shivers. Videodrome, Rabid
B: Eastern Promises, The Brood, A History of Violence
C: Naked Lunch, The Fly
D: Scanners, eXistenZ, The Dead Zone
F: Crimes of the Future (2022)

I really need to rewatch Crash, but I remember liking it back in the day. I don't think I've seen the others.
I pretty much agree with this list (Crimes of the Future was garbage), though I would switch The Brood and Scanners!

The Thing is definitely the better made film overall just in terms of building suspense, story, and an unbeatable ending. But I do find myself more drawn emotionally to The Fly, and in many ways it's the film that sticks with me more.

I forgot the opening line.

THE INNOCENTS - (2021)

Meet Ben (Sam Ashraf) - the last kid you'd ever want to give powerful supernatural abilities to. Ben tortures and kills cats - and has an explosively angry temper. When Ida (Rakel Lenora Fløttum) and her severely autistic sister Anna (Alva Brynsmo Ramstad) meet kindly little Aisha (Mina Yasmin Bremseth Asheim) and Ben, they discover they share a talent for sharing and strengthening these supernatural abilities. They can transmit their thoughts to each other, but it's Ben who is the most powerful. He can move objects (at speed) with his mind, take over any other person's mind to do his bidding, and crush your bones without breaking a sweat. Pushed deeper and deeper inside of his own internal darkness, Ben soon decides to use these powers for his own murderous satisfaction, and it's up to the others to see if they can possibly stop him. The Innocents is a very tense, gripping and horrifying film from the talented Eskil Vogt (director of Blind and the screenwriter for Thelma and The Worst Person in the World) - one of the best new horror films I've watched so far this year, and a breath of fresh air. I liked it more than Brightburn, with which it shares similar themes. A good example of how little we know of what's going on in the minds of children - and how they mostly share their innermost thoughts and feelings with each other. Horror movies involving them often have terribly high stakes - and this is no different. Just a great movie, full stop.

Udo Kier? : No

Jump Scare Meter : 1/10
Discomfort : 8/10
Art : 7/10
Weird : 7/10
Fun : 9/10
Interesting : 8/10
Enjoyable : 9/10
Exciting : 9/10

Overall : 8/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I've been doing a lot of Horror Movie watching lately

Horror movies I've seen so far starting from the beginning of November 2023 till now - Jan 30 2024

(First time watches)

Peeping Tom (1960) - Psychological Horror-Thriller -

The Burning (1980) - Summer Camp Slasher -

Happy Birthday to Me (1981) - Slasher -

Christine (1983) - Supernatural Killer Car Movie -

Sleepaway Camp (1983) - Summer Camp Slasher -

Dog Soldiers (2002) - British Werewolf Movie -

Severance (2007) - British Horror/Comedy -

The Collection (2009) - Home Invasion Horror/Thriller -

Doghouse (2009) - British Horror/Comedy Cannibal Film -

Cockneys and Zombies (2012) - Horror/Comedy -

The Collector (2012) - Home Invasion Horror/Thriller -

Anna and the Apocalypse (2017) - British Horror/Comedy Musical -

Mayhem (2017) - Horror/Action -

The Babysitter (2017) - Horror/Comedy Cult Slasher -

The Tragedy Girls (2017) - Horror/Comedy Slasher -

You Might Be the Killer (2018) -
- Supernatural Slasher -

Villains (2019) - Horror/Comedy -

Benny Loves You (2019) - British Horror/Comedy Killer Plush Doll Movie -

Haunt (2019) - Haunted House Slasher -

Little Monsters (2019) - Horror/Comedy Zombie Movie -

Boys from County Hell (2020) - Horror/Comedy UK Vampire Movie -

Alone (2020) - Horror/Thriller -

The Invisible Man (2020) - Supernatural -

Vicious Fun (2020) - Canadian Horror/Comedy -

Willy's Wonderland (2021) - Horror/Comedy - Killer Animatronics Movie -

Fear Street Part One: 1994 (2021) - Slasher -

Fear Street Part Two: 1978 (2021) - Slasher -

Fear Street Part Three: 1666 (2021) - Supernatural -

Sick (2021) - Co-vid Slasher Movie -

Deadstream (2022) - Horror/Comedy Supernatural -

Fresh (2022) - Horror/Thriller -

Five Night at Freddy's (2023) - Supernatural Killer Animatronics Movie -

It's a Wonderful Knife (2023) - Christmas Slasher -

Thanksgiving (2023) - Slasher -

Totally Killer (2023) - Horror/Comedy Time Travel Slasher -

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

THE CHILDREN - (2008)

Kids can be pretty mischievous, but that usually stops short of homicidal rampages. When you add what looks to be some kind of viral infection however, it's absolute pandemonium at what was otherwise a nice Christmas celebration in this Tom Shankland film. You don't have to try too hard to make the scenes in this very uncomfortable, considering it's children who are doing the killing and being killed - and I'm surprised this film hasn't caught for flak than it has done, but then again I guess that was the whole purpose. Shankland knows what he's doing - with a build-up that keeps reminding us what we know is going to happen, but building tension until the perfect moment to let loose arrives. The adults do stupid things, like people do in horror movies, but that's mainly because they desperately want to avoid having to fight their own kids for their lives. Not super-gory, but it's sure not bloodless either. As is usual, the mobile network is spotty and the roads are out anyway - stopping the emergency services from getting in the way of the mess that's being made this yuletide eve. Some scenes are very well worked out, and overall it seems to be a popular one amongst aficionados. I thought it was really good, for what it was. Sometimes kids are really scary - and this movie taps into that particular vein of thought. Might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Jump Scare Meter : 5/10
Discomfort : 6/10
Art : 3/10
Weird : 7/10
Fun : 6/10
Interesting : 6/10
Enjoyable : 7/10
Exciting : 6/10

Overall : 6/10

IT FOLLOWS - (2014)

I can easily imagine being relentlessly followed in a dream by something terrifying - in the form of a stranger or even person I know. For the movie It Follows, using this approach rather than a more explicable one creates a sense of mystery - and that creates more dread in the minds of those who are confused. The what and why of it all is unanswerable - for the "being" in It Follows has no real form, and it's violent murderous purpose is likewise unknown. The way the curse is transmitted - sexually - gives the film a depth of meaning that is related to a whole range of emotions we identify with that. Guilt, shame, fear of disease, rape, abuse - everything a victim might encounter if their experiences are negative. The only way to escape is to pass the curse on to someone else, the cycle thus continuing in an almost viral way. But hey - this is a scary movie regardless, with a score that matches it's tone perfectly (such a great score), and inspired direction from David Robert Mitchell, who managed to follow this up with the great Under the Silver Lake. The inevitable sequel, They Follow, is on it's way - but I'm sure most already knew that would be happening, and what to expect. Anyway - I'm a big fan of this one, and I still find it very creepy.

Jump Scare Meter : 5/10
Discomfort : 7/10
Art : 8/10
Weird : 8/10
Fun : 8/10
Interesting : 8/10
Enjoyable : 8/10
Exciting : 9/10

Overall : 8/10

Friend wanted to start Movie night with Stage Fright (1987) last night which for some reason put Phantom of the Paradise into my head, probably thanks to all you degenerates, and well we made a someone terrorizes a theater theme night.

Stage Fright (1987) was honestly pretty meh to me. I found a bunch of the plot points hard to buy and as the kills got more gruesome they also at times strained any believability in that they could have even occurred. The actors are fine and decently established even if the most entertaining character is killed so early in the film. The owl mask is cool though.

Phantom of the Paradise is a damned trip. The utter bonkers way that Winslow ends up as the deformed Phantom is entertaining to watch and the weird fusion of Phantom of the Opera, Faust and Portrait of Dorian Grey that it is just ramps up the weird as things go on, did I enjoy everything in the film, no but I certainly was never bored with what was going on. I think I just wish it had been a little more gonzo in some of it's content, feels kind of weird as a PG film that is very clearly not made for the PG film crowd.

Friend wanted to start Movie night with Stage Fright (1987) last night which for some reason put Phantom of the Paradise into my head, probably thanks to all you degenerates, and well we made a someone terrorizes a theater theme night.
It was a long play, but I'm glad to see this thread finally achieved what it was created for.