Coronavirus

Tools    

Do you want people to stop living their lives?
No, I want him to postpone his cruise until the infection rate isn't literally at its highest point.
And I don't want to share an office with him the day after he's been in close quarters with thousands of people who definitely didn't lie about their test results in order to get on the ship.

The Adventure Starts Here!
My co-worker is going on a cruise next week. He explained to us that he must test negative in order to board. But because he's vaccinated he doesn't have to get tested when he returns. And he's the guy that, when he wears a mask, it's on his chin.
So the ship returns Thursday, he'll be at work Friday. People are just making great decisions left and right.

ps--- he has a chronic cough, year round. So if he is sick none of us will know the difference. Wheeeeeeeee!
We were on a cruise in November. In fact, I'd been at a 1,500-person conference in Las Vegas the week before the cruise. I had to get my negative Covid test in Vegas two days before boarding the ship and also show proof of vaccination. And mask up anywhere on the ship indoors. Frankly, that's better coverage around strangers than you'd get at the local grocery store or anywhere else. I knew everyone else on that ship was vaccinated and had just tested negative.

If your coworker has other issues with irresponsibility, I'm not sure I'd lay those at the feet of the ship's protocols. Those seemed really solid and responsible to us in November.

No, I want him to postpone his cruise until the infection rate isn't literally at its highest point.
And I don't want to share an office with him the day after he's been in close quarters with thousands of people who definitely didn't lie about their test results in order to get on the ship.
Just accept that it doesn't matter what you want and then do what's best for you. Otherwise it's just extra stress.

They don't just *ask* you about these things. We had to show proof of both our vaccinations (originals, not photocopies) AND our negative Covid tests with proper dates, matching our names. It's not on the honor system.

If your coworker has other issues with irresponsibility, I'm not sure I'd lay those at the feet of the ship's protocols. Those seemed really solid and responsible to us in November.
He's not complaining about the boat, though, he's complaining about the co-worker going into a situation potentially around a lot of people and then having to share an office with him. There are also several (92) active outbreaks on cruise ships right now.

I'm not mad, per se, that a bunch of my students had sprawling holiday and new year's parties, but I am annoyed that I have to be in a room with them in the days/week after. (And, yes, I do currently have several out with COVID).

Also: https://news.yahoo.com/dozen-passeng...205443231.html

All aboard were required to be vaccinated and show proof of a negative test before embarking on the cruise, according to port officials.

He's not complaining about the boat, though, he's complaining about the co-worker going into a situation potentially around a lot of people and then having to share an office with him. There are also several (92) active outbreaks on cruise ships right now.

I'm not mad, per se, that a bunch of my students had sprawling holiday and new year's parties, but I am annoyed that I have to be in a room with them in the days/week after. (And, yes, I do currently have several out with COVID).

There's covid at my work, there's covid at my wife's work, and there's covid at our apartment building. There's covid at places we go where we don't know there's covid. At this point I just assume that it's everywhere and everybody has it. What can we do besides protect ourselves as much as it takes to make ourselves as comfortable as possible? The shelf life of worrying about what other people do only lasts until we realize that it's a waste of time.

Right, and even if everyone on the ship is negative, he's going to disembark in Mexico at one point. The fact that he can just show up at work the next day without being tested doesn't seem fair to those of us who don't want covid.

I should point out that he takes three cruises per year. So postponing/skipping one would not be a great hardship.

Right, and even if everyone on the ship is negative, he's going to disembark in Mexico at one point. The fact that he can just show up at work the next day without being tested doesn't seem fair to those of us who don't want covid.

I should point out that he takes three cruises per year. So postponing/skipping one would not be a great hardship.
I assume you don't get tested before reporting to work. People go to stores, sporting events, etc. I understand that there's a lot of people on the ship but nevermind the odds because nobody will agree on exactly which odds they are comfortable with. It only takes one.

A disturbing story came out that the U.S. Supreme Court (while trying to decide about Biden's proposed vaccine mandates for the private sector) disseminated multiple complete falsehoods about the virus that are currently known to be untrue even by the majority of the public.

1. Omicron variant is "just as deadly" as Delta variant. False (Omicron is more contagious, but far less severe with its symptoms being compared to the common cold).

2. Vaccine is the best way to prevent spread & transmission - thus mandates are completely understandable and warranted. False (vaccines have now been shown to have little to no effect on transmission, neither do they provide immunity from contracting the illness - they have been shown to be only effective on the severity of the illness).

3. "More than 100,000 children have been hospitalized by COVID-19, with many on ventilators." Completely False. (No one even knows where judge Sotomayor came up with this claim or these numbers: children have been the least effected by the virus directly with less than a few thousand currently hospitalized throughout the entire nation - with the vast majority of those not hospitalized FROM Covid, but who only happened to test positive for Covid as they are hospitalized for OTHER reasons. Even Dr. Fauci has confirmed these facts multiple times.) ​

There were more fallacies, but I have to agree with those who said that you'd think Supreme Court Justices would be better informed on the facts about a virus that is the subject they were about to rule on, at least to the point where they'd avoid repeating things that were already shown and known to be false some time ago especially when they are utilizing that very misinformation they stated as a basis for their decisions.

I assume you don't get tested before reporting to work. People go to stores, sporting events, etc. I understand that there's a lot of people on the ship but nevermind the odds because nobody will agree on exactly which odds they are comfortable with. It only takes one.
This was partly my point too: On that cruise ship I guarantee you that I was safer than if I was walking around a grocery store or sitting on a city bus. I have *no* idea what those people on the bus or in the grocery store think about vaccines or exposure. Even if a few folks fudged their way onto a cruise ship, statistically I'm pretty sure there are way more people who've been vaxxed and tested and even masked up than in my local grocery store or post office or bank. There are sports bars around here that are *right now* crowded with people drinking, interacting, not masked--and nobody there knows who's been vaxxed or tested, or when.

And yet they'll all go to work on Monday morning without having to tell anybody where they've been. That's just life. The best you can do sometimes is to mask up yourself and ask people to steer clear if you're uncomfortable. I mask up when asked to and sometimes when I'm not required to. Depends on the situation and my ability to socially distance myself properly.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Weird/surprising update:

I think I feel a bit worse the second day after. This is not at all what happened the last time, so yesterday I figured "oh, that's the worst of it, cool." Not so, I guess.

That said, it's hard to divorce my baseline reaction from secondary effects from things like dehydration. Big second to @gbgoodies talking about drinking lots of water (some Gatorade wouldn't be terrible either), both preemptively and afterwards. I did that the first time, and even a little this time, and I still think I didn't do enough. The response has lessened as I've made a point to drink things. Seems worst in the morning/middle of the night when I can't.

@Yoda, I hope you're feeling better today, and the side effects weren't too bad.

Hubby and I are scheduled to get our boosters on Tuesday. I've already started drinking more water than usual so hopefully by Monday and Tuesday I'll be ready to drink so much water that I won't have any side effects.

Hubby's cousin got his booster last week, and he said that he felt sick for three days after it.

But as bad as the side effects are, I doubt they're as bad as actually getting Covid.

But you could be vaccinated, be sick, and not know it. This guy is at least vaccinated. Do you want people to stop living their lives?
I don’t think he wants people to stop living their lives. But he does want people to stop risking the lives of others.

...Hubby and I are scheduled to get our boosters on Tuesday. I've already started drinking more water than usual so hopefully by Monday and Tuesday I'll be ready to drink so much water that I won't have any side effects.

Hubby's cousin got his booster last week, and he said that he felt sick for three days after it.

But as bad as the side effects are, I doubt they're as bad as actually getting Covid.
I hadn't heard that about drinking water before getting the booster shot. I was wiped out for a week, next time I'm drinking water! Lots of water...

I don’t think he wants people to stop living their lives. But he does want people to stop risking the lives of others.
He wants a person who's vaccinated not to go on vacation.

I want him to be tested before he comes back to work with his mask on his chin and breathes on me.
Nothing personal, but nobody is going to concern themselves with what you want, nor should they. I don't wear a mask in places I don't have to because I'm vaccinated. I'm sure some people would want me to, but should I care? Some people probably want you to wear two masks, but should you care? The guy is vaccinated, cut him some slack. If you're so worried about yourself, do what you can to protect yourself. Enough with judging others and trying to get them to comply with our wants already. The guy is vaccinated. If he's breaking a law you are free to call the police.

That's become abundantly clear in the past two years.
Well my guess is that in the beginning you wanted this guy to wear a mask. Then you probably wanted him to get vaccinated. Then you probably wanted him to be vaccinated and wear a mask. Now you don't want him to go on a cruise. What I really want to know is, what will you want next?

Am I right in thinking that the Omicron strain of Covid is not that dangerous to a healthy individual who's been vaccinated and had the booster? I do understand people being concerned, I'm concerned...but I think the threat to someone who's healthy and up on their shots is more in line with catching a bad case of flu. And I do think Omicron has spread so quickly and so widely, that eventually everyone will get it, in the same way everyone ends up catching the flu at one time or another.

In other words be safe, be vaccinated but don't over worry as there's lots of bad things in the world besides Omicron. I hope this comes across as being positive because that's what I'm trying to relay.