Best Dialogue films

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
There are many, but I was just thinking of a film from last year, the third part of the Before series (Sunrise, Sunset, Midnight). It's not my favorite, but it's the movie that has all dialogue, no action or sensationalism, and it's good writing, and considering the main characters also helped write the last couple. I like directors who write as well. Speaking of Conversation, Coppola wrote "The Conversation" - a great movie (don't want to describe too much).

12 Angry Men is another...

A few of my faves: Frost/Nixon, A Few Good Men, Diner, Witness For The Prosecution, Grass Is Greener, You Can Count On Me. Anything by Tarantino, PTA, or Wes Anderson. A couple I have seen lately are Virginia Woolf and Sweet Smell Of Success. I love dialogue driven films. I am sure there are tons of others in my favorites if I look through. I love the first and third film in the Before series and certainly would have mentioned them.

BTW, I know a lot of people will say there is a lot more going on with the three directors I mentioned. They are right and that is why they are probably my three favorite working right now. They do everything well. First and foremost I respond to their writing though. That is what sets them apart from those who try to copy their styles.

My Night at Maud's comes to mind!

Also i would like to second Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf!

I guess Kiarostami's body of work could also be called dialogue driven. Anything by him is pretty much recommendable.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
As far as witty, acerbic dialogue goes (and some of these are pretty much intact from their sources), some other films I'd suggest are Pygmalion, Heaven Can Wait (Lubitsch), The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, Sunset Blvd., The Importance of Being Earnest (52), In a Lonely Place, Room at the Top, Elmer Gantry, Some Like It Hot, One, Two, Three, Two for the Road, The Graduate, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Little Big Man, Cabaret, American Graffiti, Next Stop, Greenwich Village, Network, The Goodbye Girl, Tootsie, As Good As It Gets, Pulp Fiction, Cyrano de Bergerac (Depardieu), etc. I'll stop here. Somebody else can take it from 2000.

Thank you so much!! Witness For the Prosecution is one drama I haven't seen of Billy Wilder, one of my favorite directors, and after not finding it for a while, I kinda forgot about it, as there are so many movies to evaluate. I kinda liked Frost/Nixon, but did you see the newest Nixon documentary? Nixon on Nixon? It was great, and had some stuff you can't even find on youtube. I've always been fascinated with Nixon, but people in power anyway.

Sweet Smell of Success is a very economic dialogue-type of film, which I also like, no waste. Quick chatting, and I love microcosmic films, such as the press and other important variables in life. I think they're more relevant today than ever, since we not only have newspapers, but many types of media, 24 hour news (fairly new), internet, social media, etc..

Lots of great ones, Mark. I have "Room at the Top" waiting for me to watch, after a few recommendations.

Speaking of Maude, Harold and Maude is a nice film with good dialogue.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Anything written by Tarantino pretty much fits the bill.

Every Tarantino movie and most of the Coen Brothers' movies

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

for me the persuite of hapyness

Lord High Filmquisitor
for me the persuite of hapyness
I've never thought of this as a particularly dialog-driven movie. Is there any part in particular that sticks out for you for having especially good dialog?

I actually watched this with a girl (wasn't my choice) and also didn't notice much... Actually, I played on the guys' drums, Larry the Bucket Man near Union Square when I was in SF a few months ago.

Network and All About Eve are favorites of mine...

Being a music fan (even more than film!) I liked High Fidelity, too.

I liked No Country For Old Men, but it felt incomplete when it ended.. Nothing against it, but it took away attention from the best movie in a long time, "There Will Be Blood"