What Does Everyone Think about Underworld?

→ in
Tools    

The ®æPe® øƒ Pãïñ ¿
I was just watching it the other day, though it's alittle cheesy and predictable i still think it's a pretty good film. Just wondered which way the favour would go!

i thought it wasnt a bad film nor a good movie, its in between. Kate Beckinsale Didnt look great in it. She looked way hotter in Van Helsing, which wasn't any better then Underworld

Meh. Only a so-so movie.
If you're going to populate a movie with vampires and werewolves, why do you have them shooting at each other?
I thought the guy who played the head werewolf was great, and the movie gets extra points for Kate's outfit.

ha..haha...hahahahhaa....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Sorry, it's just that this movie was so AWESOME. I love movies that use generic everything. Lighting, costume, one liners, acting, etc, etc, etc - If you don't maybe you would find this movie to suck beyond all that has sucked before.

DaShizzle

I wipe my ass with your feelings
When I heard about it, I thought about blood and gore...more *intense* scenes and stuff.

Instead I got action and a good plot. I liked how they went back into history. It's one of my favorite movies because unlike most vampire/wear wolf parties, it showed it's evolution.

Originally Posted by Godsend
When I heard about it, I thought about blood and gore...more *intense* scenes and stuff.

Instead I got action and a good plot. I liked how they went back into history. It's one of my favorite movies because unlike most vampire/wear wolf parties, it showed it's evolution.
Case and Point.
Movie had generic action.
Movie had generic plot.

I loved it, id watch it again for sure. The final "half wolf/vampire" vs "one of the Chief Vampires" wasn't that exciting. But it's worth a rental.

Here's my review [/shameless plug]
Meh. I've seen better, I've seen worse. I was disappointed that it was mostly just gunplay. Sure, there were some cool creature effects, but it mostly seemed to be about the lycans and the vampires shooting each other. And what's up with the vampires? They're not terribly fast, they cast reflections, they don't seem to be able to see in the dark...sorry, but the werewolves seemed to have it all over the vampires in the special abilities department. As a friend of mine said: "Vampires? There were vampires in that movie? I never would have known if they hadn't told me."

There were several performances I found sadly lacking. Shane Brolly as Kraven was terrible, and Bill Nighy as Viktor didn't impress me all that much. On the other hand, Scott Speedman (Michael), Sophia Miles (Erika), and especially Michael Sheen as Lucien were all quite good, I thought. Kate herself was passable, but when you look like that, hey, who the hell cares? This movie gets an extra half star for Kate Beckinsale's outfit.

Overall, it wasn't a bad way to spend the evening, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price.

Originally Posted by Prospero
Overall, it wasn't a bad way to spend the evening, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price.[/i]
I not only paid for it, I took a friend for his Birthday and paid for executive seats with drinkies etc.

Randomly visiting for now
While it was undeniably cool in nature (action + effects wise) I thought it could have used a more interesting plot line, basically it didn't really make me think at all. It appealed to my enjoyment of fast action, cool music (specially when they all walk together) and detailed animations, still it had no real merit in acting, themes or purpose. I'd give it 3 stars out of 5 overall for an inventive take on the vampire/werewolf genre.

After seeing the trailer I knew that Jesus of Nazareth himself couldnt make this any good..

Well, several points:

In the evolution of the vampiric storyline, I thought that Underworld brought a lot to the table. The movie plotline in and of itself was pretty generic in my opinion, and even the ending was cliche and cookie cutter, as far as vamp movies go. Nothing new there people.

And that pissed me off. Why? It had such great beginnings! If you watch the DVD interview with the writer (Lucian's righthand Werewolf), his thinking was pretty interesting. I am vastly intrigued by his decision to make the Genesis of vampirism come from a virus of all things! He basically made vampirism be a medical outbreak - a scientific occurence! And to my mind, that seemingly small biological change in the genesis takes his vampirism out of the mysticism and boldly into science like no other.

I respect that.

I also found the movie a visually enchanting picture. Rather than being simply "dark," they made it blue-tinged as though you viewed through a glass or prism. It made me think/feel that the picture/show was distilled -- and made it all feel very scientific, sanitary, and clinical, even.

The leaping from heights to land on feet was just cool.
The liquid garlic/silver bullets was just cool.
The CGI effects were just cool.

But the CGI v. Puppetry discussion has been the subject of a heated debate among other science fiction fans, and indeed, a lot of people I know felt that Underworld was too heavily CGI, and should have been more puppet.

But as far as stories go, they recycled that same old worn out husk that unfolds in all vamp movies. THAT was a real let down, and waste of talent, ideas, and acting.

Ah well. I have every intention of seeing it again, and possibly owning it.

Still in all, Underworld added a new vervy-ness to vampiric films, and I think they are going to give the Blade movies a run for their money. I hope that the cinematic and genesis examples that Underworld provided to the vamp universe serve to revolutionize the other filmmakers in the genre, and infuse it with newer, more innovative ideas. (Yeah, THAT'LL happen. )

And I cant WAIT for Blade: Trinity.

Blade: Trinity is gonna rule at the box office, ill be seeing it when it comes out in the UK for sure.

Yah, Blade: Trinity will (hopefully) own Underowrld's @ss.
Found a lot better 2nd time, on DVD. Didnt enjoy it at the cinema, prob had too higher expectations that wern't met (like Kill Bill2) and possibly the un successful date....

I wasn't a fan of Kill Bill 2, Blade 2 was much better than the first, so hopefully Trinity will go even further, and if you don't enjoy it, then you can always just look at Jessica Biel for the whole movie, so there's something for everyone.

A system of cells interlinked
I thnk there is already a thread open on Underworld. I'll post the same thing here though. The first time I watched this film I thogught it was pretty bad. Apparently so did the people who made it, as they re-cut soon after and re-released the extended cut. After watchiong the new cut multiple times, I consider Underworld to be one of the better vamp films out there. It grew on me big time.

Re: Kraven

No amount of editing can change this terrible performance, but it's just something I deal with...I like the mythos behind the story...

argh! i though it was terrible to be truthful!

well, it could have been a lot worse.