Fornication = Horrible Death

Tools    

well, I didn't say anything was wrong with taking movies seriously. Although im sure that he isn't the nicest of people when he's talkin to me.

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
Originally Posted by OG-
And some people are idiots.
and have way too much time on their hands.

Just saw this on IMDB:

Conceptual artist H.R. Giger's designs were changed several times because of their blatant sexuality.
It's not sourced, so take it with a grain of salt. Certainly fits the pattern, though, and Giger's own personal history.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Charismasloverno5
Some people go way too deep into movies.

I'll remind you, this site is specifically for "going deep into movies", and I question why one would come here if they didn't think deeply about films, but that is just me.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by Sedai
and I question why one would come here if they didn't think deeply about films, but that is just me.
Nah, that's just simple logic.

Charismasloverno5 -
A movie like Alien, or any good movie in my opinion, is one that uses the story as a metaphor while still making the surface story entertaining. Something very difficult to do but very powerful when done right.

Ernest Hemingway used metaphors, most notably in his book The Old Man And The Sea, while still being able to keep the main story on point without making it obvious. He actually said this, in regards to that story:

"Then there is the other secret. There isn't any symbolysm (mis-spelled). The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The sharks are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****. What goes beyond is what you see beyond when you know." - Hemingway

My point is that when a talented artist creates a story often times they'll use that story as a medium to express a view of their own. Case and point, Ridley Scott is a talented artist who, in my opinion, carries the ability to make a film multi-layered.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0
Charismasloverno5 -
A movie like Alien, or any good movie in my opinion, is one that uses the story as a metaphor while still making the surface story entertaining. Something very difficult to do but very powerful when done right...
Absolutely.
I'm not sure why people are getting worked up over sexual symbolism when the overt topic is reproduction. Crazy conservatives.
Birds to it.
Bees do it.
Even aliens and fleas do it!

Nobody thinks it's what I said? The more distracted you are the easier you are to kill? What's more distracting than sex?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Nah, I agreed with you...though I think that post may have come prior...but either way I agree.

People are defenseless when they're doing the nasty or have just done the nasty, when is there a better time to shatter them?

Yeah. That's what I was thinkin'. You're at your most vulnerable because...well...ya know.

A system of cells interlinked
The Pimp is on point...Yoda has me watching Alien again tonight...Good discussion!

[edit] Somebody getting banned....

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by 2wrongs
Nobody thinks it's what I said? The more distracted you are the easier you are to kill? What's more distracting than sex?
einh? i personally concentrate on the music i listen to while...
(ok, been a while, but i kinda remember...)

It's more than I hoped for! I scanned through the replies and so far, deep or shallow it's all equally valid. I have much to add but not enough time. I'll be back in a few days. In the mean time, keep the spice flowin' as I'll be scanning every chance I get. Thanks for all the input!

Aqua

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Yoda
In his book, Monsters From The Id, E. Michael Jones suggests that many horror films/stories were created (conciously or otherwise) to represent the supposed horrors of sexual promsicuity. That they are a metaphor for the danger of sexual desire when it is not tamed or tempered in some way.

He takes his case too far, no doubt, but does provide a number of insights along the way. Most impressive is his breakdown of Alien (and its sequels), which he argues is partially a metaphor for abortion and sexual freedom. He demonstrates this through a number of observation:

• The spaceship the crew enters in Alien on the strange planet looks an awful lot like a pair of open legs. Inside, they find eggs.
  • The alien itself lives in your stomach and, when it burts out, looks a hell of a lot like a fetus.
  • At one point in the series, Ripley is "impregnated" by the alien via a very phallic-looking extension of the Alien's mouth. The aforementioned fetus-like creature in her stomach results.
  • At the end of the first film, Ripley cavorts around the spaceship in her underwear with her cat (single woman living alone, anyone?) before discovering that the alien (pregnancy) is lurking there. She then kills it via suction (one way in which abortions are performed), but must watch it dangle outside the ship by a cord placed right in its midsection (ambilocal cord).
And, of course, the spaceship's computer on the planet is called "Mother." There are also countless examples of the "Queen" Alien breeding relentlessly, threatening the crew through sheer fertility; which ultimately is only stopped by Ripley's decision to sacrifice herself.

In other words, Ripley -- the strong, independent woman -- ultimately cannot escape biology, despite using many technological means to try to do so throughout the series of films.
Thats really interesting. Me and my friends have ahd discussions about Alien quite a lot. We talked about some of this but also about how it seems the film could be about rape. The aliens impregnate each human with their eggs without their consent, and throughout the film theres quite a few images of penetration. At one point the robot (Cant rememebr his name) tries to kill Ripley by inserting a rolled up magazine down her throat. And the face hugger way of impregating humans is by inserting that long phalic thing donw their throats. Its all a bit grim. There were some other points too but my minds gone a bit blank...

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Because if you rush in and get Shelley Winters pregnant, then you'll regret it later on when Elizabeth Taylor strolls into your life.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201