The Best Season Of Television Ever

Tools    

Ive seen alot of television programs, who hasnt? I dont profess to be an expert, and if I havent seen or heard of something equally magnificent as the ones listed Id be pleased to hear about them. For me, the 2 that immediately came to mind were the first seasons of True Detective, and Westworld.

Truth is, theres just so many. Listing a bunch of tv shows that are popular isnt what is being asked, but the best single season of television. List many, but pick one - Fargo Season 2 was strong, Game Of Thrones Season 6 (The Battle Of The Bastards, Aryas Faceless training, Cersei Lannister vs The High Sparrow, and Hodor), The Sopranos Season 3 (Ralphie), and who knows which season Of Breaking Bad stood out?! Then theres The Wire, Ive heard Rectify is awesome, Deadwood,

I was gonna do a poll, but why? I am just going to let the reins go and hope people suggest singular seasons up for consideration (Im looking at you Cricket, you chronic thread rulebreaker). List a bunch of shows if you like but please add your singular pick of best overall.....if you can.

My personal pick will be Westworld Season 1. It had everything, and kept me guessing till the end the great climax it fully delivered. Maybe when I was a kid a show could enthrall and surprise me so completely, but now after thousands upon thousands of storyline viewings?! Yeah, its the best of the best.

What say you?
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	truedetective1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	97002   Click image for larger version

Name:	U9gbWy.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	97003   Click image for larger version

Name:	1198500.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	97004   Click image for larger version

Name:	wp7428695.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	97005  

Not sure how I would rank them, but I'll share a couple...
  • The Simpsons - Seasons 1-4
  • Game of Thrones - Seasons 1-4
  • Breaking Bad - Season 3-4
  • The Shield - Season 5, 7
  • The Wire - Season 1, 4, 3
  • The Terror - Season 1
  • Fargo - Season 1
  • Lost - Seasons 1-3

A system of cells interlinked
I can't choose just one, so will go with what I think are the best seasons of shows I have adored over the years:
  • Westworld - Season 1
  • Battlestar Galactica - Season 3
  • Lost - Season 2
  • Breaking Bad - Season 4
  • The Wire - Season 4
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 3
  • Fringe - Season 3
  • Mr. Robot - Season 3
  • Twin Peaks - Season 1
  • The Americans - Season 3
  • The Leftovers - Season 3

I could probably go on, but will stop here for now!

I loved season 3 of Hannibal.
That was a weird season. Easily the most ambitious from the show, but a bit hard to get into at first. Still, once you're into it, it's great. That said, I wish the second half (the Red Dragon part) would've been done in a separate season, mostly because it's so tonally different to the first half. I love it, but my OCD just can't process it But I also know that they already knew they were going to be canceled, so they were trying to wrap things up in some way.

I started the 3rd season of Hannibal but stopped watching before the midway point because the show seems to have lost it's luster. Kind of like alot of projects that are fresh and then seem strained trying to be fresh, if that makes any sense. I'll give it another try though.

Breaking Bad Season 4
There's a four episode stretch, the last four of that season, that are about as close to perfect as you'll see. Just four absolutely jaw-dropping episodes all in a row.

That was a weird season. Easily the most ambitious from the show, but a bit hard to get into at first. Still, once you're into it, it's great. That said, I wish the second half (the Red Dragon part) would've been done in a separate season, mostly because it's so tonally different to the first half. I love it, but my OCD just can't process it But I also know that they already knew they were going to be canceled, so they were trying to wrap things up in some way.
I see what you mean---some of the character development felt totally random as well. Still, I think the season premier and the finale, though obviously very different, are probably the two best episodes in the whole series.

It also managed to (mostly---if you disregard the rich guy in a wheelchair) get away from the borderline cartoonish stuff of the first season, with the case-a-week format.

I started the 3rd season of Hannibal but stopped watching before the midway point because the show seems to have lost it's luster. Kind of like alot of projects that are fresh and then seem strained trying to be fresh, if that makes any sense. I'll give it another try though.
The ending is worth pushing to!

Firefly is my favorite show and it only has one season, so I feel like I should go with that. The Haunting of Hill House works better as a complete unit, though.

I agree with Boardwalk Empire season 2 and Fargo season 1. Some more good ones:

Archer: season 2
Avatar: The Last Airbender: season 2
Buffy: The Vampire Slayer: season 2
Justified: season 2
The Legend of Korra: season 3
The Sopranos: seasons 5 and 6 (the second half)

I'm surprised season 2 appeared so many times since that's not always the best season. Anyway, this is probably just a favorite animes list since so many of them only last one season, but here goes:

Cowboy Bebop
Kino's Journey
Monster
Paranoia Agent

Firefly, Wonderfalls, The Haunting of Hill House.
All one season wonders for different reasons, but absolute mint. Top tier television.

Pushing Diasies (Season 1)
Twin Peaks (Season 1)
Beautiful, dreamy and perfect for multiple rewatches.

Slow Horses(Season 1)
Love Death and Robots (Season 1)
Scavenger's Reign(Season 1)
My recent favourites.

True Detective Season 1
Master of None - season 2
The Wire - Season 1 or 2
Breaking Bad - season 4
The Sopranos - whatever season had that forrest pines episode in it
Horace and Pete - season 1
DARK - Season 1 or 2
Bad Kids - season 1
The Jinx - season 1 (there is a season 2 in the pipeline)
The X Files - one of the middle seasons I expect.

Firefly, Wonderfalls, The Haunting of Hill House.
All one season wonders for different reasons, but absolute mint. Top tier television.

Have you guys watched these shows multiple times? I have a hard time remembering individual seasons of long-running shows. One that does stand out to me is the fifth series of the Doctor Who reboot (the first with Matt Smith & Karen Gillan and Steven Moffat as showrunner).

I've recently been trying a bunch of highly-rated shows. So on a smaller scale, The Newsroom has a fantastic pilot episode and The Wire might have the best opening scene of any show I've watched.

The Wire might have the best opening scene of any show I've watched.
I don't know about that; it always felt a bit too "on the nose" to me, especially its final line.