You get only ONE chance

Tools    

My real answer is Tati's Playtime .
Didn't like it much the first time I watched it, but now with more of Tati's work under my belt, I think that I'd be more receptive to its rhythm and narrative style.

I rate this recommendation 4 extremely large, non fair use badgers!

Didn't like it much the first time I watched it, but now with more of Tati's work under my belt, I think that I'd be more receptive to its rhythm and narrative style.

I rate this recommendation 4 extremely large, non fair use badgers!

If one isn't dialled into it, I imagine it can be a pretty alienating film to watch.

After all, there is no lead character. Our protagonist is a clutter of people, few of whom Tati ever singles out. We are expected to watch humanity from a distance and pick out things that catch out attention. Be amused or moved by their absurdity. Even with its mammoth scope, the films goals remain are extremely modest and commonplace. It's a very weird dynamic and does not welcome anything but a completely immersed viewing, even as it offers very few concessions to the audience.

In a lot of way, I prefer both Holiday and Mon Oncle. Their pleasures are as obvious as anything by Chaplin or Keaton. But Playtime is more a revolution of filmmaking. I can maybe think of five other films that deserve to be mentioned alongside of it, that have similarly reset how we watch film.

I forgot the opening line.
Every time I visit this thread strange and perhaps magical things are going on

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

What Crumb said.

Folks who are more concerned than I about characters and narrative would no doubt find little to latch on to.
As a more visually -oriented viewer I was left dumbfounded by the sheer density of what was on screen at any given time. You could watch this a hundred times and not see everything.

If one isn't dialled into it, I imagine it can be a pretty alienating film to watch.

After all, there is no lead character. Our protagonist is a clutter of people, few of whom Tati ever singles out. We are expected to watch humanity from a distance and pick out things that catch out attention. Be amused or moved by their absurdity. Even with its mammoth scope, the films goals remain are extremely modest and commonplace. It's a very weird dynamic and does not welcome anything but a completely immersed viewing, even as it offers very few concessions to the audience.

In a lot of way, I prefer both Holiday and Mon Oncle. Their pleasures are as obvious as anything by Chaplin or Keaton. But Playtime is more a revolution of filmmaking. I can maybe think of five other films that deserve to be mentioned alongside of it, that have similarly reset how we watch film.
The very boring story of me and Tati is that Playtime was the first film of his I watched.

ME: I mean, it was okay. I didn't love it. I didn't really get it.
SOMEONE (MKS?): What did you think of his other films?
ME: Haven't seen any.
SOMEONE: You just need to watch more Tati.
ME :[watches more Tati]
ME: Oh, I get it now.

I'm very narrative driven as a viewer, and character driven secondarily. If what's brilliant about a film isn't one of those things, I often need someone to point me in the direction of it.

One Cut of the Dead (2017)
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	One-Cut-of-the-Dead-1-1600x900-c-default.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	96661  

The trick is not minding
This movie begs the question, do you think talking to a badger would be a net positive in your life?

I do, but I'm probably wrong.
As long as the conversation isn’t near any cliff edge. That way we can avoid any life or death decisions about whom to save.

*spoilers*
Always pick the badger.

The very boring story of me and Tati is that Playtime was the first film of his I watched.

ME: I mean, it was okay. I didn't love it. I didn't really get it.
SOMEONE (MKS?): What did you think of his other films?
ME: Haven't seen any.
SOMEONE: You just need to watch more Tati.
ME :[watches more Tati]
ME: Oh, I get it now.

I'm very narrative driven as a viewer, and character driven secondarily. If what's brilliant about a film isn't one of those things, I often need someone to point me in the direction of it.
What I think you might appreciate in Playtime on a rewatch is, even though there is no overarching narratives, any one scene can have tiny little stories happening all over the screen.

In many ways, the movie might be your kryptonite. But, considering how many movies I've seen you find narrative threads in that I never even considered having any narrative threads at all, I think you're up to the task of finding all the little moments that live in the corners of this one

What I think you might appreciate in Playtime on a rewatch is, even though there is no overarching narratives, any one scene can have tiny little stories happening all over the screen.

In many ways, the movie might be your kryptonite. But, considering how many movies I've seen you find narrative threads in that I never even considered having any narrative threads at all, I think you're up to the task of finding all the little moments that live in the corners of this one
I didn't dislike it on my first viewing. But I did have that feeling of disconnection and not "getting it."

And then when I read more about it afterwards I realized I simply wasn't tuned into or looking for what is so good about it. I even remember that for the first few minutes I did pick up on a thread in the background about a woman buying flowers (or something like that). I look forward to revisiting it.

This movie begs the question, do you think talking to a badger would be a net positive in your life?

I do, but I'm probably wrong.
Based on the admittedly brief synopsis in that ad, it seems to have worked out for the boy but was kind of a pain in the ass for the badger.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Allowing people to post anything else but recommendations was a mistake.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Allowing people to post anything else but recommendations was a mistake.
Make another thread...and this time agree to watch one movie from everyone who post a recommendation. Joke recommendations and previously seen films get a pass, otherwise you watch it. That's a good way to expand your cinephile-ness.

Make another thread...and this time agree to watch one movie from everyone who post a recommendation. Joke recommendations and previously seen films get a pass, otherwise you watch it. That's a good way to expand your cinephile-ness.
Sorry, I already have a few thousand films on my watchlist. But nobody's stopping you from doing the same, or from watching the movies posted in this thread. I've seen some of them already.

Sorry, I already have a few thousand films on my watchlist.
You watch a boatload of movies right? What would a dozen or so more movies mean in watch time to you? I'm guessing the time required would be a piece of cake.
But nobody's stopping you from doing the same, or from watching the movies posted in this thread.
I've done that before I mean I've joined more HoFs than anyone at MoFo. I forget how many I've been in but I've seen hundreds of other people's selections that way. Not to mention I've done several movie recommendation threads where I tried to watch films from at least every person who made a serious effort at posting suggestions.

You watch a boatload of movies right? What would a dozen or so more movies mean in watch time to you? I'm guessing the time required would be a piece of cake.
Sure, but I'm particular about what I watch, and I'm very wayward these days.

I've done that before I mean I've joined more HoFs than anyone at MoFo. [...]
All of that effort and your taste hasn't improved? You're a lost cause!