Is British music better than American?

Tools    

I was just thinking about all my favourite bands and realised they were mostly British, which was quite a surprise as it always seems America leads the pack for most things. So anyway, you think that this is true?

Here's some British bands to consider:
The Clash
Sex Pistols
The Who
Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Pink floyd
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Queen
Electric Wizard
The Darkness

I'm not really gonna make a point about pop music or any other genre as im not too hot on them, but as for rock music, i think Britain has a lot of good bands.

i've liked a lot of british bands in my time..most of what you list above

but i do liike

the monkees
paul revere annd the raiders
bobby darin (some stuff)
billy joel
bruce springsteen
john cafferty annd the beaver brown band

i don't really see a difference..rock and roll is international in my opinion

I like most of the British bands you listed Pyro… but America has given birth to such musicians as:

Elvis
Chuck Berry
Buddy Holly
Jerry Lee Lewis
Carl Perkins
Little Richard
The Doors
Nirvana
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Dylan
Alice Cooper
Kiss
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Steve Miller Band
Tool
Nine Inch Nails
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Electric Light Orchestra
The Eagles
Van Halen
The Beach Boys
Steely Dan
Talking Heads
R.E.M
Grateful Dead
Ramones
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Blue Oyster Cult
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Kansas
Guns 'n' Roses
Allman Brothers Band
Stone Temple Pilots
Smashing Pumpkins
Green Day
Soundgarden
Jefferson Airplane
Rage Against The Machine
Sly and the Family Stone
Boston
Grand Funk Railroad
Simon and Garfunkel

Just to name a few…. So I personally think both the Brits and the Americans have produced some awesome musicians… it all just depends on your own personal taste in music...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Well, an advantage America has, is that is is much much much bigger than the UK, therefore, it will have more musicians.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
good point
i love british music, but the stuff i like is mostly modern bands. And actually 2 of my favourite bands are local bands, they're better than most commercial stuff out there. They're called Hi-Jinks and DV8, they rock completely.

Most british and modern music such as Franz Ferdinand, the thrills, sounds rubbish but i really liked Tabby from the X factor, the strokes, natasha bedingfield, estelle etc

I love american music too though, greenday rock my world all over the shop, the killers, the pixies, all-american rejects, jojo, classic MJ, Ashlee Simpson, Staind, Adema, Hoobastank, Linkin Park, Our lady peace, 3 days grace

Lets put a smile on that block
I personally much prefer British music, although i do agree America has given birth to legends....but then again so has the UK

Some awsome new bands that are out over here at the mo that you should most definatly check out if you are a fan of The Strokes, Franz Ferdinand etc are--

SnowPatrol
RazorLight
Thrills
Killers
Thats all i can think of for now but they all make me stamp and shout and dance and stuff.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I have long loved brit pop. The british new wave were the main thing that got me through the 80's. The music is more melodic and a little kinder to the ear than american music tends to be - speaking generally here, of course. The Police, Howard Jones, Culture Club, Erasure, Flock of Seagulls, Dead or Alive, Bronski Beat, Split Enz, The Clash, The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Eurythmics... yay!

Originally Posted by blibblobblib
SnowPatrol
RazorLight
Thrills
Killers

Knew i forgot some, i love snow patrol, their song Run just makes me melt

Someone Save Us College Kids
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I like most of the British bands you listed Pyro… but America has given birth to such musicians as:

Elvis
Chuck Berry
Buddy Holly
Jerry Lee Lewis
Carl Perkins
Little Richard
The Doors
Nirvana
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Dylan
Alice Cooper
Kiss
Steve Miller Band
Tool
Nine Inch Nails
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Electric Light Orchestra
The Eagles
Van Halen
The Beach Boys
Steely Dan
Talking Heads
R.E.M
Grateful Dead
Ramones
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Blue Oyster Cult
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Kansas
Guns 'n' Roses
Allman Brothers Band
Stone Temple Pilots
Smashing Pumpkins
Green Day
Soundgarden
Jefferson Airplane
Rage Against The Machine
Sly and the Family Stone
Boston
Grand Funk Railroad
Simon and Garfunkel

Just to name a few…. So I personally think both the Brits and the Americans have produced some awesome musicians… it all just depends on your own personal taste in music...
Excellant list Caity, I agree with 100%.

Nah. Even just taking old punk and rock stuff with the exception of Wire, Throbbing Gristle (along with later incarnations) and to a lesser extent Crisis (for the brits), you have Iggy and the Stooges, Motor City Five, Suicide, The Modern Lovers, The Talking Heads... Not to mention all those great and generally underappreciated California bands of the seventies and eighties like 100 Flowers, Gun Club, The Screamers etc. etc.

And while I'm just lukewarm on The Beatles, I love The Beau Brummels (though I like The Kinks just as much). I certainly tend to favor American rock over british.

~Edit~ oh yeah, Samsonite Delilah mentioned some good 80s british pop bands too, but I'd throw The The to the top of that list. ~Edit~

I am having a nervous breakdance
I think the influence that America and Britain have on popular music worldwide is a circular. The Beatles and The Stones were extremely influenced by american music and so was Led Zeppelin. But then these bands grew larger than most american contemporaries. And it's always been like that. The impact that The Clash and The Sex Pistols had on american punkrockers now and then is and was enormous. But what did Strummer et al listen to while recording their first album? The Ramones of course! Who listened to The Beach Boys. Who listened to The Beatles. Who listened to Elvis, Roy Orbison and american female vocal groups. And I think Joy Division and The Cure have influenced lots of american bands of today.

I think I read somewhere that when Oasis were recording "Definately Maybe" Noel listened to "Nevermind" and heard how Kurt sang. Then when it was time for Liam to sing, Noel turned to the sound engineer and said: "That's it! Turn the volume up and let the **** scream!"...

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Bruce Campbell Groupie
I just like what I like I don't really think about what country the bands come from, but now I want to do a test, I'm gonna get 20 of my Cd's from one of the piles in my room (I'm just gonna grab a pile) and let's see what we got.

1. David Bowie-UK
2. CKY-US
3. Scissor Sisters-US
4. Tom Jones-UK
5. Rem-US
6. Weezer-US
7. Weezer
8. Weezer (these three Cd's count as one choice)
9. Franz Ferdinand-UK
10. No Doubt-US
11. Paul Simon-US
12. Lacuna Coil-Italian
13. The Strokes-US
14. GG Allin-US
15. Duran Duran-UK
16. Rammstein-German
17. Jackass the Movie soundtrack-mixed
18. Marilyn Manson-US
19. Sheryl Crow-US
20. CKY

Quite a mixed bag there-just a personal experiment of mine.

Originally Posted by linespalsy
Nah. Even just taking old punk and rock stuff with the exception of Wire, Throbbing Gristle (along with later incarnations) and to a lesser extent Crisis (for the brits), you have Iggy and the Stooges, Motor City Five, Suicide, The Modern Lovers, The Talking Heads... Not to mention all those great and generally underappreciated California bands of the seventies and eighties like 100 Flowers, Gun Club, The Screamers etc. etc.

And while I'm just lukewarm on The Beatles, I love The Beau Brummels (though I like The Kinks just as much).
witht he exception of the beatles and iggy, ive never heard of any of those bands

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
Knew i forgot some, i love snow patrol, their song Run just makes me melt

I absoloutly love Chocolate as well....in fact the whole album is just awse.

Have you listened to Keane? Their quite similar and were around a little before Snowpatrol, "Somewhere Only We Know" is amazing.

...Have you listened to Keane? Their quite similar and were around a little before Snowpatrol, "Somewhere Only We Know" is amazing.
I woke up to that, yesterday. Beautiful song!

Originally Posted by undercoverlover
witht he exception of the beatles and iggy, ive never heard of any of those bands
Look into The Talking Heads. You won't regret it.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I woke up to that, yesterday. Beautiful song!
What a nice thing to wake up to. Watch the video if you can. Its pretty and wonderful....not the American release of the video tho, the Britsih one, its when they are all singing in a forest and little elfy things come to watch them and it makes their hearts glow...

What a nice thing to wake up to. Watch the video if you can. Its pretty and wonderful....not the American release of the video tho, the Britsih one, its when they are all singing in a forest and little elfy things come to watch them and it makes their hearts glow...
Are you kidding me with this?
I'll have to look for the British one in February.

Originally Posted by Caitlyn

Elvis
Chuck Berry
Buddy Holly
Jerry Lee Lewis
Carl Perkins
Little Richard
The Doors
Nirvana
Jimi Hendrix
Bob Dylan
Alice Cooper
Kiss
Steve Miller Band
Tool
Nine Inch Nails
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Electric Light Orchestra
The Eagles
Van Halen
The Beach Boys
Steely Dan
Talking Heads
R.E.M
Grateful Dead
Ramones
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Blue Oyster Cult
Metallica
Pearl Jam
Kansas
Guns 'n' Roses
Allman Brothers Band
Stone Temple Pilots
Smashing Pumpkins
Green Day
Soundgarden
Jefferson Airplane
Rage Against The Machine
Sly and the Family Stone
Boston
Grand Funk Railroad
Simon and Garfunkel

Ditto Cait'.....Literally!