ICONS: Mojo Magazine lists the 100 greatest music stars of all time!

Tools    

Official Sacrifice to Holden Pike
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
Since you can't sing, dance or write songs like Christina - I would say, definately based on star quality. Did I mention my list has 1000000 names on it? You're number 999736.
Oh, thanks! You made one of my lists, too.

Randomly visiting for now
I know the list is voted by readers but really how could Eminem outrank Jimi Hendrix. I mean really Jimi Hendrix lit his guitar on fire during performances he had a cult following and will always be remembered for his memorable performance at woodstock. Eminem is just the present hot rap singer, he may be remembered in 20 years by rap fans but Jimi Hendrix will be remembered forever.

But hey that's just my opinion, just like all those people who voted I usually agree with the lists created by all the music producers, other mucisians ect.. because they actually have real experience in the industry.....Britney Spears? nough said

I am having a nervous breakdance
But what defines an icon? I think you said it yourself: an icon has a huge following. And I think it's pretty amazing that a guy (Hendrix) that hasn't released a record for almost 35 years - hey, he's been dead for that long too! - still is on the top 20 in competition with some of today's biggest stars. And even beating a lot of them. Actually, I think the fact that Britney because of not having the talent of Madonna or Beyoncé - or of Aguilera for that matter - makes her an even bigger icon. That means that her name is larger than herself as an artist. The phenomenon Britney is amazing - but her music is ****, and that is totally logical. At the same time we have Stevie Wonder who is, in my opinion, one of the greatest artists who has ever lived, but do I think of him as an icon like Sid, Keef or 2Pac? No. But Stevie's legacy as a musician still is enough to bring him on the list, and I am okay with that. And if we're talking about influence I think you can compare Britney's influence on teenage girls to the kind of influence that Madonna once had in the 80's. Same with Aguilera, who again, even though I don't care much for her music, has tons of talent. It's like saying that Brad Pitt is not an icon because he can't act like De Niro.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The People's Republic of Clogher
The only major problem I have with that list (apart from the order, and no Chuck D) are the inclusions of the Gallagher brothers.

Pub rock.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
The only major problem I have with that list (apart from the order, and no Chuck D) are the inclusions of the Gallagher brothers.

Pub rock.
Wow, Chuck D! And even Flavor Flav! How could I forget them... Yeah, you're right.

I think Liam is kind of an icon, but Noel?

But what defines an icon? I think you said it yourself: an icon has a huge following. And I think it's pretty amazing that a guy (Hendrix) that hasn't released a record for almost 35 years - hey, he's been dead for that long too! - still is on the top 20 in competition with some of today's biggest stars. And even beating a lot of them. Actually, I think the fact that Britney because of not having the talent of Madonna or Beyoncé - or of Aguilera for that matter - makes her an even bigger icon. That means that her name is larger than herself as an artist. The phenomenon Britney is amazing - but her music is ****, and that is totally logical. At the same time we have Stevie Wonder who is, in my opinion, one of the greatest artists who has ever lived, but do I think of him as an icon like Sid, Keef or 2Pac? No. But Stevie's legacy as a musician still is enough to bring him on the list, and I am okay with that. And if we're talking about influence I think you can compare Britney's influence on teenage girls to the kind of influence that Madonna once had in the 80's. Same with Aguilera, who again, even though I don't care much for her music, has tons of talent. It's like saying that Brad Pitt is not an icon because he can't act like De Niro.
I think the problem some of us are having is that an Icon should be somebody that others look up to and aspire to be like. Maybe other musicans and not just the public. It's not enough to say that Britney has a lot of fans. That doesn't make her an Icon.
I think for me, other musicans see the artist as an inspiration. Their music is in music books so regular guys can do their guitar licks on their guitars at home, ya know?
Like when John Meyer called James Taylor, the Blueprint. He's right! He's an inspiration.
Britney doesn't even write her own music or lyrics. Bah!

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by 2wrongs
It's not enough to say that Britney has a lot of fans. That doesn't make her an Icon.
I think for me, other musicans see the artist as an inspiration.
Like when John Meyer called James Taylor, the Blueprint. He's right! He's an inspiration.
Britney doesn't even write her own music or lyrics. Bah!
right! bravo bravo bravo 2wrongs! very good point.

i don't know how numerous is the audience of alternative artists like Catpower (=Chan Marshall) and Shannon Wright, but the medias etc... and the epoch in which they publish(ed) their albums play a big role in how famous one gets to be. and i wouldn't judge them qualitatively inferior to Hendrix (ok, that's all subjective, tastes are, and they're my faves). sure, if we're counting by the influence one has, Hendrix' is far more important. this doesn't say a thing about talent though. and if you could hear them 576 times on MTV, wouldn't you end up buying their CDs? they have their place on my altar, no matter how famous they get.

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
right! bravo bravo bravo 2wrongs! very good point.

sure, if we're counting by the influence one has, Hendrix' is far more important.
That's sorta the point I was trying to make. If the people voted to make this list 20 years from now, we could weed out some of these artists right now. Their music will not stand the test of time.

history *is* moralizing
That's sorta the point I was trying to make. If the people voted to make this list 20 years from now, we could weed out some of these artists right now. Their music will not stand the test of time.
yep.
although, respecting minorities like i do, i have to say some artists are immortal in reduced circles of listeners/fans, and they're not less respectable than more famous artists.

A system of cells interlinked
I dont know, for British legends, I would have put Jimmy Page above Joe Strummer. Strummer was big, but Page was in LED ZEPPELIN for crying out loud.

If Page was dead he would be in the top 10 maybe?

I just think of all the legions of guitar players (and non players) with ZoSO tattoos who idolize page. People have been doing it for decades. Not to take anything away from Joe, as I love his stuff, and thought he was an amazing songwriter and stage personality, but put him at number 11....

Wow, Chuck D! And even Flavor Flav! How could I forget them... Yeah, you're right.

I think Liam is kind of an icon, but Noel?
I guess Liam's an icon in the 'Clyde from Every Which Way But Loose' style.

....and Noel's no more deserving of a place on the list than Neil Innes from The Rutles.

To Wrongy...

No, the problem some are you are having is that an artist you despise is being acknowledged for the impact she has had on the public and the media instead of her songwriting skills (she has co-written several of her songs). I think you are mixing this list up with a Best Artists Ever list. This magazine has in the past made lists like Best Singers Ever, Best Albums Ever, Best Singles Ever, Best Guitarists Ever and so on. You think Britney was on any of those lists?

I think you are so annoyed because of the fact that Britney, an artist you dislike, is an icon that you do your best to deny it.

I still think you fail to see the meaning of the word "icon". You think Sid Vicious is someone we should look up to? If "no", then by your definition, he is not an icon then, right?

Oh, btw.. Maybe I should post the magazine's comment on her being on the list:

"Teen Pop's biggest icon since Madonna in the early '80s, Britney's impact on music and the wider world of celebrity remains phenomenal. How she sounds, how she looks, who she's marrying (this week)..."

Froggy, I didn't understand exactly what you're saying in your post. But again, I think you're misunderstanding things if you view this list as a talent or musical influence competition (even if I do think Britney has influenced the business more than many are prepared to admit). And I do think at least a certain amount of fame is necessary for an artist to end up on the list.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
....and Noel's no more deserving of a place on the list than Neil Innes from The Rutles.
All the Rutles members are missing on this list, damnit!

Originally Posted by Sedai
I dont know, for British legends, I would have put Jimmy Page above Joe Strummer. Strummer was big, but Page was in LED ZEPPELIN for crying out loud.

If Page was dead he would be in the top 10 maybe?

I just think of all the legions of guitar players (and non players) with ZoSO tattoos who idolize page. People have been doing it for decades. Not to take anything away from Joe, as I love his stuff, and thought he was an amazing songwriter and stage personality, but put him at number 11....
I think you have a point there, Sedai. Jimmy Page has turned into an old geezer while Strummer has just passed away. I was also surprised that Strummer was up that high on the list.

Another thing that just stroke me is that Bonham wasn't on the list while Keith Moon was. Hmmmm.... They both died rock'n'roll deaths but wasn't Bonham the best drummer that ever lived?

No, the problem some are you are having is that an artist you despise is being acknowledged for the impact she has had on the public and the media instead of her songwriting skills (she has co-written several of her songs). I think you are mixing this list up with a Best Artists Ever list. This magazine has in the past made lists like Best Singers Ever, Best Albums Ever, Best Singles Ever, Best Guitarists Ever and so on. You think Britney was on any of those lists?
What's so wrong with that? You're right. I think she sucks. I think by some glich in the Matrix, Little-Miss-Sings-Like-a-Baby-and-Dances-Like-a-Slut, makes a fortune. It's sick. Besides what's the difference of me complaining about who is on the list and you talking about who isn't? Hmmmmmmm?????

I think you are so annoyed because of the fact that Britney, an artist you dislike, is an icon that you do your best to deny it.
Pooh.

I still think you fail to see the meaning of the word "icon". You think Sid Vicious is someone we should look up to? If "no", then by your definition, he is not an icon then, right?
Look up to? No. Impact on music? Yes.

Oh, btw.. Maybe I should post the magazine's comment on her being on the list:

"Teen Pop's biggest icon since Madonna in the early '80s, Britney's impact on music and the wider world of celebrity remains phenomenal. How she sounds, how she looks, who she's marrying (this week)..."
That sounds more like People Magazine's 50 Most Intriguing People, or whatever. Not Icon status.

Just given the list a closer look -

No Otis Redding, George Clinton or the Godfather of Celtic Soul (and world's tallest Hobbit) himself:

George Ivan Morrison.

What's so wrong with that? You're right. I think she sucks. I think by some glich in the Matrix, Little-Miss-Sings-Like-a-Baby-and-Dances-Like-a-Slut, makes a fortune. It's sick. Besides what's the difference of me complaining about who is on the list and you talking about who isn't? Hmmmmmmm?????
For the record, I think she sucks too. But I think that without a doubt she's an icon.

I basically have no problem with your regular complaining, but your argument for why Britney shouldn't be on the list (because you hate her) is just illogical to me.

The difference? Well, if there is a difference I guess it is that try to come up with other icons while you moan about some of the most obvious ones.

Look up to? No. Impact on music? Yes.
Impact on music? Come on... Sid's legacy has absolutely nothing to do with his skills as a musician.

That sounds more like People Magazine's 50 Most Intriguing People, or whatever. Not Icon status.
We could of course look up the word...

I tried. I kept getting computer lingo. I hate Brit and I think she's not an Icon. How do like them apples?

Put me in your pocket...
The british music magazine Mojo released a special limited edition issue listing the 100 greatest music icons of all time. Tell me what you think!
I think they had one too many martini's when they complied the list. I really don't get some of the choice's and the placement of other's, and excluding others. Missy Eliot is before James Brown? Egad! And where's Donna Summer? She was the original 'Hot Stuff'. Where's George Benson? Where's Duke Ellington and Glenn Miller? Heck...Where's my martini?

As far as icon status...for me an icon either stands the test of time, or is so popular that everyone knows who they are. Some people on that list I have no clue who they are. And as far as Britney goes...as much as I can't stand her, you can't deny she's made an impact the same way Madonna did.

Is that enough Piddy?

Originally Posted by Aniko
I think they had one too many martini's when they complied the list. I really don't get some of the choice's and the placement of other's, and excluding others. Missy Eliot is before James Brown? Egad! And where's Donna Summer? She was the original 'Hot Stuff'. Where's George Benson? Where's Duke Ellington and Glenn Miller? Heck...Where's my martini?
Careful now, that's where I got in trouble. Apparently the list is based on star quality (right Pidd?) and not talent or anything condusive to a person's actual career. I guess I'll have to just bite the bullet on Britney Spears. She does seem to have something appealing about her or else people would have dropped her a long time ago based on her abilities. I dunno. I could sit and watch Ray Charles and a piano over the grinding sensations of the "pop stars" any day.

icon

1. also i·kon (kn)
a) An image; a representation.
b) A representation or picture of a sacred or sanctified Christian personage, traditionally used and venerated in the Eastern Church.

2. An important and enduring symbol: “Voyager will take its place... alongside such icons of airborne adventure as The Spirit of St. Louis and [the] Bell X-1” (William D. Marbach).

3. One who is the object of great attention and devotion; an idol: “He is... a pop icon designed and manufactured for the video generation” (Harry F. Waters).

4. Computer Science. A picture on a screen that represents a specific file, directory, window, option, or program.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=icon