Aussie star Bana chosen as next James Bond

Tools    

Your Puuuur-fect Movie Companion!
Originally Posted by Montrose
Yeayyyy so Hugh Jackman's still got a shot!
Woo Hugh Jackman is so 'Bond-ish'

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Jake Gyllenhaal yet, he seems to be nominated for every role as of recently

"Never let a dog pick what you watch."

Originally Posted by Moviez&Dvdz4life
isn't Eric Bana a little too serious? That's my opinion.
Not that he is going to get the role, Eric Banner is far from too serious, he had his own Comedy Show in Australia.

Originally Posted by nebbit
Not that he is going to get the role, Eric Banner is far from too serious, he had his own Comedy Show in Australia.

LOL Yeah I can't see Bana aka Poida (with mullet and all) from his sketch shows playing suave, sophisticated spy Bond.

There are those who call me...Tim.
*Holds up "Vote Ioan Gruffydd" Banner*
Well, either him or Clive Owen, although I do agree with Holden's worries about him being tied down with it though. Apart from Sean Connery (and possibly Pierce Brosnan), I don't think any of the Bonds have gone on to do many good films. Just look at Roger Moore. Apart from a few Bond spoofs in sketch shows, and another Bond spoof in SpiceWorld, I can't think of many other films he's done (certainly not as many as Connery at least).

Originally Posted by Ash_Lee
*Holds up "Vote Ioan Gruffydd" Banner*

I never thought about him before... but he actually might make a pretty good Bond...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The People's Republic of Clogher
They always seem to trot out this nonsense whenever there's a new Bond movie on the distant horizon. To paraphrase Gerry Adams, "We haven't gone away you know".

My vote goes to Harvey Fierstein.

Eric Bana? Yeah, maybe...Not! I could play a more convincing bond, even with my orange hair and extended facial features...I could pull it off, like a monkey in a suit!

This is a citation from Ian Fleming's novel From Russia with Love, which, incidentally, was one of John F. Kennedy's top 10 favorite books of all time. This passage describes a group of Soviet Generals conspiring to put a death warrant on James Bond. BTW, I highly recommend reading the book by Fleming, which is so much darker than the movie, it's really worth the read:

General G. riffled through more pages giving extracts from agents' reports from which this data was drawn. He came to the last page before the Appendices which gave details of the cases on which Bond had been encountered. He ran his eye to the bottom and read out: 'Conclusion. This man is a dangerous professional terrorist [emphasis mine] and spy. He has worked for the British Secret Service since 1938 and now . . . holds the secret number "007" in that Service. The double 0 numerals signify an agent who has killed and who is privileged to kill on active service.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
General G.'s hand went to the internal office telephone. He spoke to his ADC. 'Death Warrant,' he said harshly. 'Made out in the name of "James Bond".' He spelled the names out. 'Description: Angliski Spion. Crime: Enemy of the State.' He put the receiver back and leant forward in his chair. 'And now it will be a question of devising an appropriate konspiratsia. And one that cannot fail!' He smiled grimly. 'We cannot have another of those Khoklov affairs.'
I thought it was kind of funny, in a macabre sort of way, as I read this! James Bond, the quintessential Brit--a terrorist? Well, Ian Fleming thought so, it seems! Hero to the Brits, terrorist to the Russkies!

You sure Bana is Bond, or did i misread something....?
I read only today that Colin Farrell rejected the role:

Farrell joked he would play Bond with an Irish accent
Actor Colin Farrell has said he is not interested in becoming the next James Bond, despite being tipped for the role by previous Bond star Pierce Brosnan.
"I would not like to do it," Farrell said. "They should find someone the audience has no history with."

The 28-year-old Irish actor joked that if he got the part, he would use an Irish accent to confuse fans of the suave British secret agent.

Hugh Jackman, Ewan McGregor and Jude Law have also been tipped for the role.

No reprise

Pierce Brosnan starred in four James Bond films from 1995-2002
Last week Brosnan, who appeared in four Bond blockbusters, confirmed he would not reprise the 007 role.

He said he agreed to film a fifth Bond movie but was "gutted" when producers changed their minds.

Brosnan, 51, added that Phone Booth star Farrell should take the role in favour of other actors because "he'll eat the head off them all".

The James Bond character has taken nearly $4bn (£2.15bn) at the box office since Dr No was released 42 years ago.

Sean Connery first played Bond, followed by George Lazenby, Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton before Brosnan took over. The next Bond film is due to be released in 2006.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/3994851.stm