The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The Case of the Golden Idol is my new obsession. It's a game Lucas Pope would have made if the Klavins brothers hadn't beat him to it. It's a murder mystery puzzle game that's sort of a combination of Papers, Please and The Return of the Obra Dinn in that you're doing something that doesn't seem like it would make for a fun game, examining evidence, as well as filling in blanks in a sort of Mad Libs style as to who did what to who, with what weapons, etc. I also love the throwback, early '90s graphics and the slightly tongue in cheek soundtrack. Other than that, the best endorsement I can make is that I stayed up until after midnight last night figuring out who sat in each seat at a dinner party.
Huge fan, my wife and I devoured the base game and we're on the DLC now. And yeah, Return of the Obra Dinn is a masterpiece, and Golden Idol is one of only maybe two or three others that even approaches that level of quality in that teeny tiny genre.

After you played Obra Dinn awhile back you asked for recommendations, and I listed some here, which I'm mentioning just in case you didn't get to them at the time, but now might want to if the itch is stronger. To save you a click: Her Story, and several of Tim Sheinman's games, which have the added benefit of being very cheap (or even free!).

After you played Obra Dinn awhile back you asked for recommendations, and I listed some here, which I'm mentioning just in case you didn't get to them at the time, but now might want to if the itch is stronger. To save you a click: Her Story, and several of Tim Sheinman's games, which have the added benefit of being very cheap (or even free!).
Thanks again for those. I picked up Her Story and the rest are in my wishlist, with Rivals being the next likely purchase being a concertgoer.

I hear Pope is working on a game called Mars After Midnight, which will be on a handheld called Playdate that I know nothing about. Hope it's ported on to another platforms!

Yeah, been following Mars After Midnight and I admit to being a little disappointed, given that his two games before were challenging masterpieces. That said, I was disappointed when I first heard about Return of the Obra Dinn and could not have been more wrong about it, so I should probably trust the man, even if MAM sure seems like a fun little "break" kind of a game for him. I genuinely might have to snag a Playdate just to play it.

Oh, and there's a very new game called Chants of Sennar where you have to decode an unfamiliar language to solve puzzles that I haven't played yet but have heard good things about. I'm part of a group of friends that's gotten in the habit of scouring around for games like this (because so few scratch that deductive puzzle itch) and we all ping each other when we find one.

Please lemme know how you enjoy Her Story and any of the others! As I'm sure you've noticed, since these are one-time experience, the next-best thing to flashy thinging ourselves to play them again is to experience them vicariously.

A system of cells interlinked
Thought it would be funny to sit Stelly down in front of Elden Ring. I figured oh...a good 20 minutes or so and she would get bored and I could shut it down and get back to playing something else. Not only is she still running around "fighting soldiers, Daddy!, but now my wife has started a playthrough... I have been relegated to watching/helping from the sidelines.

Stelly just runs back to the Site of Grace, resets the enemies, and then sneaks around and shoots them with magic. She avoids anything that looks like a boss or hands me the controller to fight the scary stuff. My wife has taken two bosses down.

Say, when can I play?

Just realized the Jurassic games collection comes out on wednesday and I know what im playing over the holiday weekend.

there's a frog in my snake oil
In a strange turn of events, a AAA-ish VR game just launched. (And in a genre I want to play too )

(Although it's only on the Quest stand-alone headsets. So dialled-down fancies, and boos for the exclusive etc :/)

First Look: Assassin's Creed Nexus

This is a great fit for VR, and they've done a grand job bringing it to stand-alone. Although the low pixel density, scratchy textures, and poly-filler NPCs do smack you in the face at points, the overall world-building just works as you move fluidly amongst its elements. (And at points the sun gleaming off slanted rooftops below can look downright glorious ).

The locales are more 'chocolate box' than sandbox, but for someone's who's never visited the series' take on Ancient Greece or Revolutionary America leaping over backyard fences to baffle limeys was all good (and scurrying over ship beams brought some bonus Black Flag flickers). Clanking over the tiles of Venice was a downright delight

The 'eagle eye' view of the city-scapes gets increasingly endearing, and useful, as the playgrounds expand. Spotting prowling roof guards amongst the puffy smoke of venetian chimneys, and plotting routes, felt like a fine sunny-day distraction.

Even tired old staples like tracking a quarry unseen are that much more refreshed and intense when you're clinging to some ceramic with one hand while a gulf of vertigo chasms beneath you. Or plummeting onto canvas to keep up the chase. (Although hiding in some street topiary becomes doubly silly )

Everything that's cool in the rooftops becomes lesser in the enclosed spaces however. Although the parkour options remain, and some civilised strealth, every aspect feels that much more trammeled, with the comparative linearity sometimes very much front and centre. (The various tunnel missions being the worst for this).

And of course the hand combat is relatively rustic. But given AC's form in that area, it barely hurts the action. It's just more motivation to use the solid bow & throwing knife & hidden-blade options to sow discord, and scamper around dividing and conquering. And at least gives you a solid reason to scarper when caught in a mob. (Not that you can't best groups of 3 or so, but once the projectiles are battering your shoulders the whole 'fight one guy at a time, TV style' approach runs out of road...)

Despite some early clumsiness with the streamlined parkour system I'm slowly learning to chain fluid motions together now. (It helped to realise that two-handed grabs tend to conflict and propel you back off ledges inconveniently, whereas a one-handed superman up onto a ledge works every time).

Now all I need is a slightly higher ceiling, for those desperate parapet lunges in the night...

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
My gaming time is still kind of limited. Though I promised to give two coworkers my Sunday nights for Baldur's Gate 3, I've only been able to host two games in the last four weeks. This past Friday, however, one of the guys felt sorry for me and offered to run me through Returnal. I've never played a co-op game and could never seem to finish off the biome 2 boss, so I accepted. The guy made me dizzy running all over the place. He had to revive me at least four times. One for each boss encounter for biomes 1-3. Pathetic. He still finished them off without losing hardly any health at all. Just wow. At least I got to watch. That took about three hours to end the third level. The game starts over, in a way from here on out. We may try to finish it tonight. Errr.... I should say HE may try to carry me through tonight.

I kinda feel bad for the guy, but age happens.

You ready? You look ready.
i am helping a coworker build a gaming pc for their kids. parted THIS build out and they ordered everything this morning. anyone that knows me knows i like the building aspect more than anything.

i am helping a coworker build a gaming pc for their kids. parted THIS build out and they ordered everything this morning. anyone that knows me knows i like the building aspect more than anything.
That price for a Windows license always irks me... Where is the kid from Tron Legacy to push that distro to the web for free?

Also: Why not 5600X vs 3700X?

That price for a Windows license always irks me... Where is the kid from Tron Legacy to push that distro to the web for free?

Also: Why not 5600X vs 3700X?
ah yes, my second favorite part of building PCs. defending the choices!

so couple reasons: a, this build will run just about everything current in 1080p without a problem.

two, kids these days are hard to pin down, so i could easily see them, from what i've been told, trying to do multiple things at once (i.e. streaming a video whilst playing minecraft, or streaming themselves playing with friends). in a heavy usage multi-threading standoff the 3700x is going to choke less than the 5600x, in theory.

and d, i put my own bias into building the PC and i wanted to leave them room to upgrade. if they hit a wall in a year or two then there are many paths they could take to increase performance and cobble a second PC together with the left over parts.

this is the way
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

ah yes, my second favorite part of building PCs. defending the choices!

so couple reasons: one, kids these days are hard to pin down, so i could easily see these kids, from what i've been told, trying to do multiple things at once (i.e. streaming a video whilst playing minecraft, or streaming themselves playing with friends). and this build will run just about everything current in 1080p without a problem. in a heavy usage multi-threading standoff the 3700x is going to choke less than the 5600x, in theory. and two, i put my own bias into building the PC and i wanted to leave them room to upgrade. if they hit a wall in a year or two then there are many paths they could take to increase performance and cobble a second PC together with the left over parts.

this is the way
I figured that was the case, and that they may want to stream etc. Fair!

No need to defend your skills to me btw - you have proven long ago your knowledge with this stuff, to me anyway.

I figured that was the case, and that they may want to stream etc. Fair!

No need to defend your skills to me btw - you have proven long ago your knowledge with this stuff, to me anyway.
oh, i forgot the biggest reason, i was told it needs to look like Reno, and the place we grabbed the 3700X threw in the Wraith RGB cooler whereas the 5600X only came with the Stealth.

so the CPU cooler and mobo LEDs will sync up via the app control, and we will probably pick up some extra addressable RGB fans since this mobo will do that. should be pretty sweet as far as looks go.

and i know i don't need to defend i just like giving my reasons/justifications. i am the guy that spent a year and a half in HS telling everyone at the computer shop that Intel was gonna kick AMD's ass in gaming when the Core2Duo drops and they'd all switch. i got so much shit for that and then when everyone jumped ship to Intel they silenced themselves in shame when i would enter the room.

My 5600X came with a Stealth, which I immediately set in the e-waste pile.

I had the Noctua D15 ready and have been chillin, both figuratively and literally, ever since!

My 5600X came with a Stealth, which I immediately set in the e-waste pile.

I had the Noctua D15 ready and have been chillin, both figuratively and literally, ever since!
i miss my Opteron 165 and Xeon E3-1230 builds. that was during my nerdy "look how many things i can do at one time!" years

i overclocked the 165 about 800-900 mhz on air, and i ran the E3 with an AIO water cooler. i don't remember that processor ever getting above 51C even when I was re-encoding MKVs whilst gaming.

this is also giving me the warm fuzzy feelings because i also flashed a GPU back in high school to unlock extra cores. bought the card for $150 less than the card it shared an architecture with and got maybe 25-30% less performance than the higher one. i was always pushing the envelope since we couldn't afford a lot.

One of my friends that lives in tow thought I was lying about by temps when we were gaming together, so he stopped by and had me fire up the game and a temp monitor...He quickly stopped the accusations!

I maintain it's all about the case. I STILL have that Coolermaster HAF I got in 2011, because why replace what works so well for low temps? It's way out of style at this point, but...I don't care! The only problem is the crazy amount of dust it absorbs, so I have to clean it frequently. The 5600X also runs cool inherently.

One of my friends that lives in tow thought I was lying about by temps when we were gaming together, so he stopped by and had me fire up the game and a temp monitor...He quickly stopped the accusations!

I maintain it's all about the case. I STILL have that Coolermaster HAF I got in 2011, because why replace what works so well for low temps? It's way out of style at this point, but...I don't care! The only problem is the crazy amount of dust it absorbs, so I have to clean it frequently. The 5600X also runs cool inherently.
let me guess, it’s a mesh design all over? i remember a friend picking that style case out and i told him “you’re gonna hate it. it’s gonna leak sound.” and sure enough, 3 months into the build that was all he would complain about: “it’s so noisy and dusty!”

i’m one that likes no lights and sound dampening panels so you can’t even tell if the machine is on. my builds are boring by most gaming standards

I finished Starfield.

I'll jump to the headline before expounding: it's
. It's fine. Usually when people say "fine" they kinda mean "bad." But it's not bad, it's genuinely fine. But fine in a weird way, which is to say it's not as if everything's between okay and good, it's more that some things are great and some things are very bad, which is a harder thing to net out than something which is just pretty good the whole way through.

The great: The starship design, while logistically finnicky at times, is pretty great. You build a ship and then it's just there, right in front of you, and you can walk around in it. A simple thing, but pretty remarkable to actually experience. Add cargo capacity and your ship handles worse and you can't jump through space as far. Simple cause and effect that lends a feeling of reality to the whole remarkable thing.

Also, the lore is very good, the voice acting is great, and this is probably the best character work they've ever done. Not sure it's even close, in fact.

The good: The visuals are a clear step up. The gunplay is fun and satisfying and there are lots of wrinkles to it which I won't spoil. The story is interesting, surprising, and the way it ties into the game itself, as a game, is also clever and fun. It successfully evokes a sense of scale and wonder.

The okay: if you crave more of The Bethesda Game, you'll mostly get your fix here. Lots of little characters tucked away in side quests, of which there are many. A handful are extremely good, a lot of others are cookie cutter, but you knew that going in. That's what you're signing up for. If you thought you wouldn't get that fix, don't worry, you do. If you thought they might break out and improve on that formula, sorry, they didn't.

The bad: One of the things about Bethesda's open world RPGs--and it's nearly reached the level of meme--is the way you'll head off towards a quest marker and get waylaid by 20 things along the way and forget what you were doing. It's great, that sense of fullness you get from moving around the world.

That is almost completely gone here.

Why? Because you don't actually go from one place to another. You almost always "jump" there in your ship. You fast travel to a planet, you fast travel between locations on planets. You almost never just walk from one place to another place and find things on the way. This is such a clear misstep it's hard to imagine they could let it happen. My best guess as to how it happened is that it might be unavoidable in a space game, at least for now, and they just really wanted to make a space game anyway. But the only way to keep this aspect of things is to actually have you travel between star systems in real time, and I imagine that's really hard to make fun and interesting. And it's harder to have things "along the way" in that context than it is on land. You'll get random encounters in the orbits of planets when you arrive but they're few and far between and usually just tiny interactions. Some are very fun or funny or sweet, but they're a tiny, tiny part of the game.

The same is true on the surface. Huge planets populated by the same dozen or so layouts. I'm kind of shocked at it, really. I know it's a lot of work to create different cave systems and habs and stuff, and these are the kinds of games you play long enough that you're definitely going to run into dupes...but I still ran into them earlier and more often than I would have guessed.

The only exception are the four big handcrafted cities, which are really well designed and interesting and "full." But the people you run into within them are the only approximation of the thing I'm talking about, and even there they're not the same. Even there they're basically just shops along a route, as opposed to people or events you feel like you've run into by happenstance.

To be charitable, this was a big lift for them. There's a lot of new tech stuff, and just launching a new IP like this at this scale, with a new engine, is probably incredibly hard. It's easy to imagine a sequel (in like eight years, I guess) iterating on this very effectively, but they really painted themselves into a corner with this one with the choice of theming and all the new things they wanted to try to do. I admire it on some level, but the result is very mixed.

I'm glad it exists, I enjoyed playing it. And I have every confidence the modding is going to make this more interesting and worth replaying in the next year or so, even. But it's not a great game. It's a moderately good one.

Also, a clear victory now to The Outer Worlds, which came out a few years ago and drew comparisons to this right away. It's inferior in so many ways, but it had a much greater sense of what it wanted to be, and what it could pull off. It feels very restricted, there's no sense of "open space" in it at all...but as a result they jam-packed it with lots of great quests. It feels much smaller, but also more alive at times. In retrospect they prioritized the right thing.

I'll keep fiddling with Starfield for a bit, to be sure, but I expect very soon I'll start Baldur's Gate 3 and it'll probably take over my brain the way I had hoped Starfield would more often than it did (it happened a little, though).

That and Chants of Sennar are calling to me next.