What Ticks You Off?

Tools    

Originally Posted by gummo
okay, alright, okay...
Yes he has completely ignored several of your points...because his point was not about technology, he was talking about humanity.
He said it even when I wasn't talking about technology; that's the point. He either didn't understand, or didn't pay any attention. He also ignored the reasons I gave as to why we SHOULD include technology in the discussion.

I think what Godsend's point was is that inhumanity still exhists after how many attempts to rid it.
Of course; but I doubt there's a single person who didn't know this already. So where's the insight? And how does the fact that inhumanity still exists support his claim that we haven't really made ANY progress towards fixing that?

The law is getting tougher on criminals, but that just makes criminals sneekier. Rape is turning into rape/murder, murder is turning into seriel murder. Criminals get famous; when the victims are dead. People are not treating each other with respect. The rich get richer when the poor get poorer. There was a time when everyone helped each other out. Now its 'how can i advance in the world and Jim die of starvation' Its all a compitition. Who dies the wealthiest man.
Since when has rape "turned" into rape and murder, and murder into serial murder? These things have always existed. I don't see any evidence to suggest that todays rape and murders would've just been rapes a thousand years ago.

The education thing... Some people think that being articulate proves you are intelligent, and not finding the right words to express him/herself proves you are dumb. There is many forms of intelligence. Usually the articulates cannot come up with an original thought and are just regurgitating someone elses idea.
Maybe so, but it should be pointed out that Godsend's outraged suburban teenager persona is about as cliche as they come. A privileged 15 year old lashing out at the world is about as unoriginal as you can get.

A system of cells interlinked
First of all, I gave you a bad rep point because I didn't think you were really listening to what Godsend was saying.

That is not what he was saying.
Yes, it is. I did read his post, several times, and it still doesn't make any sense. Claiming you attribute your experiences (I believe he said "the experience of youth") in life to personal experience is stating the obvious, and can be applied to every person on the planet. It is irrelevant.

I didn't mean you specifically were picking on Godsend...
Yet you hit me with bad rep for a post that was simply asking him to clarify himself. I didn't in any way attack Godsend personally, and I feel my post was in no way deserving of rep from someone not even involved in the exchange.

Yes I know that that post didn't have anything to do with me, but posting something is for everyone to read and respond. Returning a bad rep point ten folds is really immature. Just because someone gives you negative rep points does not mean you strike revenge. I am not just throwing out bad rep points. I have only gave maybe two bad rep points since I have been on this site. And truthfully, it said that I had to spread out my rep points before giving another one to a couple of people. Anyway who cares about the stupid rep points anyway, it's just another form of putting people into categories. It is simply dumb.
I returned it to you once, the effect will be tenfold due to the length of your tenure at MoFo. I don't mind getting bad rep, it's part of the system, but handing it out because you don't agree with someone is lame, man. I have yet to give Godsend bad rep, and I don't agree with most of what he is saying. You may also assume that being articulate is some sort of elaborate ruse for lack of a clear worldview, but you would be wrong. I try to articulate myself the best way I can to help those reading understand what I am saying, as this is a text based forum. I see it only as consideration, I wouldn't want to have others trying to decode vague comments, allusion, and unclear insiniuation. Those are poor debating skills.

nuff said...

Originally Posted by Godsend
I ignored it? Hmm, lets go back and see:

me reply:

OH! And I must add that the Romans also did this as well. The men that killed Caesar were all tried and executed or exhiled, I can't remember.

I went through most of your pargraphs and replied heartedly, and you're on about ME not clarifrying your points? If I didn't clarify your points, I don't know what I did.
I don't see any response to my points about racism, sexism, diplomacy or personal liberty. Just the legal system. You ignored all the other points. You can't reply to one out five things and pretend you've answered them all. And this is ignoring the obvious fact that Rome's legal system was far less developed than our own.

LMFAO! And the human race is the one I'm after. I'm not going to go after everyone. I'm not going to line them up in rows and go up and down the lines saying, "don't rape!" move onto the other one "you had 10 dollars in your pocket, so why steal it?"

Think of it like the election. Right? The President/canidates TARGET people; they don't go up to them one by one. That's what I'm doing. I'm TARGETING and I'm TARGETING the human race. No one is perfected, but we can be sincere.

Are we?

No. Some, but not enough.
I'm not saying you hate everybody; I'm saying that you're generalizing. Rather than acknowledge the great progress which has been made in human affairs, you'd rather just label it all as one big collective failure. It's easier to speak in extremes than it is to qualify your beliefs exceptions.

Now, I've given you several ways in which mankind has improved, morally, on its ancestors. We are more tolerant (overall) of racial and sexual differences than in the past, we are less tolerant of imperialism, and we place an unmatched premium on individual liberties (like freedom of religion) in much of the developed world.

These are all major improvements on the state of human affairs. There's still plenty wrong with the world, but the idea that things haven't gotten any better just doesn't add up.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
Please quote the correct person, thanks!

Maybe so, but it should be pointed out that Godsend's outraged suburban teenager persona is about as cliche as they come. A privileged 15 year old lashing out at the world is about as unoriginal as you can get.
Yeah, I've lived in the Suburbs my whole life. There's a reason I got here, but theres no reason that I should share it with you or publically.

Haha, just keep it to yourself man. Your pretty much done. The fact that THIS was one of the things that ticked me off doesn't mean I run around preaching about it. I talk about it day to day, but usually not to kids my age. Something about not understanding.

Everyone in the world is privelaged, but not equally. To make the best out of that privelage, people SHOULD go through school and, IMHO, college.

The fact that people TEND to abuse this privelage, makes no difference. You learn early that there are people who care and the ones who don't.

Anyways, off the subject, but I was given a paragraph question for a test. It was about Socrates and Zeno, and their philosphies. I'm taking this from the middle of the paragraph, "Socrates, on the other hand, questioned YOU about your own thoughts. He felt if a person could come up with an opinion, they could come up with a logical reason for why chose it." - Godsend, 2004

Exactly what's happening here.

I don't see any response to my points about racism, sexism, diplomacy or personal liberty. Just the legal system. You ignored all the other points. You can't reply to one out five things and pretend you've answered them all. And this is ignoring the obvious fact that Rome's legal system was far less developed than our own.
If you want it, here you go

-Racism, IMO, is the process of an unintelligent person trying their best to show they know something. This comes towards from me, with experience when people asked, "Are you Ghandi?" Yes... Will Racism ever stop? To an extent, sure...but then there will always be those PAST incidents that continue to haunt us. A Japanese student was introduced to us and as soon as he sat down, a dumbass stated, "you bombed us! Go away" Now to say that he knew that they HAD at ONE POINT bombed us was impressive...but him coming up with something like that? I think you get the point.

Racism is also projected towards stereotype and the media. How many times a day do you watch the news and see a Mexican being shown on the Headlines for killing someone or a Black Person for an armed robbery or something? A ****load...but then you also see white people doing this as well. Well the negative image gets put in our minds that Mexicans and Blacks are bad. All of them.

I can see where they're all going. Like if you were in a class laebeld "Advanded Algebra" you could clarify they're smart. Of course, two differences...race and school, right? Well these people don't see any difference. That every damn individual is different. Instead, they go out and label them as WHATEVER. Will it ever stop? Maybe the day that they think that everyone is, indeed, different.

Rome tolerated many religions as well. All the way from Christianity (at one point) to Jewish beliefs. People really didn't care if they were conquered or not, to an extent, because their beliefs were not changed. They weren't forced to tur

-Sexism is a subject that pisses me off, entirely. The fact that women CONTINUE to tell themselves they're lowered? Hey hun, we have Governors that are women! Shocking, I know! Are they mad that there are co-ed bathrooms? Sexism has developed GREATLY over the years, in a good direction anyways. Women, back then, had great power as well. I can recall hearing of a Pharoah, whom was a women. Now don't get me wrong, the people knew, of course, but she represented herself as a pharoah and continued to wear that chin goatee that symbolized the power of a Pharoah.

Women held great powers back then as well, leading up to businesses of blacksmiths all the way to habors. Lots of women, such as Aspasia, were looked up for help. The fact women continue to say that "we don't like being put in our place" is absurd. We give you a choice.

Now as we look towards the Middle East and its "customs" for a women to cover her whole body is absurd. What can we do about this, especially when it relates to religion/culture/tradition? Just about nothing with out stepping into the realm of belief.

-The only time I've heard about diplomacy, to my knowledge, is in Intro to Business. It went towards the subject of the stock market, and I can throw in a cent or two about this.

Years ago, trade and acknowledgement towards one another was GREAT! When people had the seas, Med., Red, and what not. The Silk Road was also built for the idea of TRADE! People meant and mingled their customs together. I don't get the just of putting this inbetween these conversations?

-Personal liberty. Can you believe that more then 2 milleniums ago, they had trials and what not? They had laws that you had to obey, but we have those today. looking at personal liberty, the thought of slavery comes to mind. Not from 150 years ago or what not, but from 2,000+ years ago. The fact that people were conqured and sold into slavery and one thing. The fact that blacks were brought over/breeded into slavery is a TOTALLY different thing.

At times then, no one cared who was slave. But as the world expanded, the white supremacy grew. Slowly it ruled out from whites to the "colored" folk. This was defined as right and wrong. Farfetched.

In Roman/Greek times...it was known that people actually were sold into slavery to pay off DEBTS! Imagine that, throwing someone over to Mexico so we can get out of the National Debt.

But then you look at people like MLK, one whom had an idea that there should be peace and humanity all over the world. Have we achieved it? No. MLK is not the only one either...there are many people in the past who have strived for this. Such as Buddhism, which started well over 2,000 years ago...which seems to be the keyword in this arguement.

So, what exactly are you looking for?

Please quote the correct person, thanks!
My mistake. It was a copy/paste error.

Yeah, I've lived in the Suburbs my whole life. There's a reason I got here, but theres no reason that I should share it with you or publically.
How long you've lived in the suburbs, and why, doesn't really change what I was saying.

Haha, just keep it to yourself man. Your pretty much done. The fact that THIS was one of the things that ticked me off doesn't mean I run around preaching about it. I talk about it day to day, but usually not to kids my age. Something about not understanding.

Everyone in the world is privelaged, but not equally. To make the best out of that privelage, people SHOULD go through school and, IMHO, college.
Not so. To be privileged is to have a special advantage over someone else, by definition. It's a relative term. If it applied to everyone, it would have no meaning.

The fact that people TEND to abuse this privelage, makes no difference. You learn early that there are people who care and the ones who don't.

Anyways, off the subject, but I was given a paragraph question for a test. It was about Socrates and Zeno, and their philosphies. I'm taking this from the middle of the paragraph, "Socrates, on the other hand, questioned YOU about your own thoughts. He felt if a person could come up with an opinion, they could come up with a logical reason for why chose it." - Godsend, 2004

Exactly what's happening here.
Yeah, I imagine that's what this is all about...teenage pseudo-philosophy. I guess all this talk about the plight of mankind and our failure to improve on the human condition is supposed to sound profound, or something. Personally, I don't think it is.

You know what ticks me off???

People who can't appreciate the things in life (lifestyle, possecions, money).

I have a friend of mine that is lets just say - upper middle class. He has all of the best stuff, but he doesnt appreciate it! How do i know? He's always buying new toys and electronics. He thows out the old stuff and calls it "old" even if its only a year old. Now i may seem to be complaing too much about this stuff, but it ticks me off when i see other people who have plenty, not use it wisly.

This is not to put anyone down on this forum...

(The above statement doesnt neccesarily reflect the views of Darcy Starr)

How long you've lived in the suburbs, and why, doesn't really change what I was saying.
Practically all my life, but if you put some small "establishments" as something else, then no...I've only lived in the suburbs for about 6 some odd years then.

Yeah, I imagine that's what this is all about...teenage pseudo-philosophy. I guess all this talk about the plight of mankind and our failure to improve on the human condition is supposed to sound profound, or something. Personally, I don't think it is.
Profound? Not really. Personally? I don't care either way. Publically? Of course not. This is supposed to be something that is on EVERYONE'S head. That we all wish for peace and no more losses, mentally and physically. The fact we don't is absurd. Something that life slowly functioned on, government...which we have for so many years tried to perfect to our capabilities, where it looked like a republic would of made it...people can change anything.

And how does the fact that inhumanity still exists support his claim that we haven't really made ANY progress towards fixing that?
No, we have made progress towards trying to fix it. The criminals are more clever now and can get away with things easier.

Of course; but I doubt there's a single person who didn't know this already. So where's the insight?
Not so specifically with that statement. And I bet there are people who think they are safer now then they would be 20 30 50 100 years ago.

Since when has rape "turned" into rape and murder, and murder into serial murder? These things have always existed. I don't see any evidence to suggest that todays rape and murders would've just been rapes a thousand years ago.
First,"just" and "rape" should not be put together in a sentence.
Second, Of course it has been around forever, I'm not denying that at all. What kind of evidence do you want? This is my thoughts, what I think is happening. My idea is that rapists now often kill their victim so that there is no evidence, so that they won't tell anyone, so that the rapists won't get cought. Killing someone once for whatever reason, whether it is by accident or on purpose is one thing. But can you name a seriel killer from 1000 years ago? I can name at least a dozen from the past 50 years. I never sugested that murder would have "just" been rape a thousand yrs ago. Thats horrible that you thought I said that.

How do you know how privileged Godsend is? I don't know Godsend, all I know is that he is 15. And I am only assuming that he is a HE. Maybe it is cliche for a 15 year old to lash out about something that he believes in, but at least he isn't like most teenagers who only care about what they wear to school the next day and all the self centered crap that teenagers are suppose to care about. Teenagers are emotional. Thats what its suppose to be like.

Yet you hit me with bad rep for a post that was simply asking him to clarify himself. I didn't in any way attack Godsend personally, and I feel my post was in no way deserving of rep from someone not even involved in the exchange.
Would it make you feel better if i gave you a positive rep point? I will if that will make you stop with this.

You may also assume that being articulate is some sort of elaborate ruse for lack of a clear worldview, but you would be wrong.
NOT...this is the funniest thing I have ever seen...you made my point, but also you are completely wrong. Let me try to explain.
You are assuming things of me that are false, and on the otherhand, you proved my point of how the articulate often think they are "smarter" than the inarticulate. lol ...try to figure that one out.

I don't mind getting bad rep, it's part of the system, but handing it out because you don't agree with someone is lame, man.
Ok sir, why do you give bad rep points because I have gotten a few for the very reason I gave one to you.

I really find this funny:

PimpDrizzle or whatever his name might be is *repping* me...hardy har har.

Sedai is kind of angered cause he lost maybe a rep or two, and looking at the boxes...I can conclude he has WELL MORE then most of the members on this forum.

Now, lets look at rape and murder!

Rape: It's DEVELOPED! Yes, it has. Now I'm not talking about Pedo's and what not, but I'm talking about the approach towards rape. It involves intelligence, all the way to key planning...sadly. It involves the world of drugs, mainly date rape drugs. It involves seduction, which, OF COURSE, existed back then...but now emotions are not like they used to be.

Murder: the fact a man could get about 1-2 with a knife and soon enough get caught is old news. The fact a man will strap himself with a bomb, run into the middle of the street and KA BOOM! Or a man will walk into a bank, click click...$$$

I've seen a picture of a rapist whom thought of himself as an artist. He took the childs hand and pointed out the index finger, which touched the mothers finger as blood drained out of their head. If you've seen Rocketman, you get the idea...

Oh yes, and sometimes rape leads to murder. How many times have you heard about a missing body, and soon enough they find it with some semen still in tact? Heh.

That's pretty sick chubs (Godsend). But you're conclusions wack fo'sho. And by the way, it's not PimpDrizzle, it's PimpDaShizzle. You know? It's a good name. I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Rape has been around, and since it has and still is, we haven't come along ways? Have you heard of the Rape of Sabine? A bunch of punkass biatches came through this town they wanted, so they ran up on them while the guys were gone and stole their women, raping them making it so that the guys wouldn't want them when they came back. Now, how do you think something like that would go over "now'a days?" I don't think people would like it. The government would step in, be like, "um, no. You can't do that." Maybe I'm going on on something totally unrelated, but I'm on a small roll. That rape of sabine was in 1799 in ancient rome. Just incase you want to check it. So anyways, my point. I've come to the conclusion that we have come a long way, in most aspects of life and humanity. I mean come on, rascism. Think about that. You'll be tempted to say rascism is still around, don't worry, I know, but it's gotten a lot better.

And yes, I did give you "reps" for being able to insight anger.

there's a frog in my snake oil

That's it. I can't help myself anymore. There's too much natural comedy evolving like wildfire here...(hmm, does wildfire evolve? I'll leave it to the experts. We seem to have plenty about the place)

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle
And yes, I did give you "reps" for being able to insight anger.
That is one of the funniest mis-spellings i've read in so long. Please tell me you meant it PhaShiz. (And, erm, 1799? Has someone renovated Ancient Rome? You were making such a good point till then...)

...but now emotions are not like they used to be.
Please, please can i borrow your time machine?

And your ability to express coherent ideas about how to address human nature, progress, technology and society...

Profound? Not really. Personally? I don't care either way. Publically? Of course not. This is supposed to be something that is on EVERYONE'S head. That we all wish for peace and no more losses, mentally and physically. The fact we don't is absurd. Something that life slowly functioned on, government...which we have for so many years tried to perfect to our capabilities, where it looked like a republic would of made it...people can change anything
Yep, i reckon that just about sums up your argument. Marvellous.

Originally Posted by Yoda
Show me a time in the past when world leaders, who are also mere human beings, showed the level of collective diplomacy they show today.
Man you chose a bad couple of years to be writing that one . Collective diplomacy has never looked so good

Originally Posted by Yoda (and what ticks him off)
Liberals
Yeah, well, i can see your point . (don't you hate the way teenagers will just come up with the most broad blanket statements )

No, we have made progress towards trying to fix it. The criminals are more clever now and can get away with things easier.
Criminals being more clever has nothing to do with how moral we are, collectively.

First,"just" and "rape" should not be put together in a sentence.
Yes, they should. The "just" was being used to indicate the comparative lack of murder, not to diminish the trauma of rape.

Second, Of course it has been around forever, I'm not denying that at all. What kind of evidence do you want? This is my thoughts, what I think is happening. My idea is that rapists now often kill their victim so that there is no evidence, so that they won't tell anyone, so that the rapists won't get cought. Killing someone once for whatever reason, whether it is by accident or on purpose is one thing. But can you name a seriel killer from 1000 years ago? I can name at least a dozen from the past 50 years.
No, I can't name a serial killer from 1,000 years ago. Then again, I can't name most of the world leaders from 1,000 years ago. That has less to do with a lack of world leaders/serial killers, and more to do with the fact that people have a greater knowledge of the time period they live in.

What kind of evidence do I want? Any, really. Otherwise, it's just a random guess. I don't see any particular reason to think that more rapists are murdering their victims today, or that there are more serial killers.

I never sugested that murder would have "just" been rape a thousand yrs ago. Thats horrible that you thought I said that.
You said that "rape is turning into rape and murder." I don't know what else you could've possibly been trying to say.

How do you know how privileged Godsend is? I don't know Godsend, all I know is that he is 15. And I am only assuming that he is a HE. Maybe it is cliche for a 15 year old to lash out about something that he believes in, but at least he isn't like most teenagers who only care about what they wear to school the next day and all the self centered crap that teenagers are suppose to care about. Teenagers are emotional. Thats what its suppose to be like.
Godsend lives in Illinois, which means he is a United States citizen, which means he is among the richest people in the world. Thus, he is priveleged when compared to the rest of the human race.

Rape: It's DEVELOPED! Yes, it has. Now I'm not talking about Pedo's and what not, but I'm talking about the approach towards rape. It involves intelligence, all the way to key planning...sadly. It involves the world of drugs, mainly date rape drugs. It involves seduction, which, OF COURSE, existed back then...but now emotions are not like they used to be.
Date rape drugs are a result of technological advancement, which you've repeatedly said we should leave out of this conversation.

As for emotions not being "like they used to be" -- I'm with Golgot. I dunno what you're talking about, or how you could possibly know such a thing. I think you're just flailing about here.

Murder: the fact a man could get about 1-2 with a knife and soon enough get caught is old news. The fact a man will strap himself with a bomb, run into the middle of the street and KA BOOM! Or a man will walk into a bank, click click...$$$
Again, technology.

I don't know what the rest of your post has to do with the argument at hand. You seem to think that you can reply to any point made by listing gruesome anecdotes.

Practically all my life, but if you put some small "establishments" as something else, then no...I've only lived in the suburbs for about 6 some odd years then.
Read what I wrote again. I wasn't asking you how long you've lived there. I was saying that it doesn't matter.

Something that life slowly functioned on, government...which we have for so many years tried to perfect to our capabilities, where it looked like a republic would of made it...people can change anything.
Did anyone understand this?

Originally Posted by Golgot
Man you chose a bad couple of years to be writing that one . Collective diplomacy has never looked so good
Even if you think the war in Iraq is in direct opposition to the idea of diplomacy (and I'd argue that it isn't, at least not totally), it still wouldn't change the fact that blatant imperialism is all but dead. And yes, I know, you regard imperialism as alive in a more subtle form. Regardless, international relations are clearly much better than they were a thousand years ago.

Yeah, well, i can see your point . (don't you hate the way teenagers will just come up with the most broad blanket statements )
As long as we're quoting me, let's include this little remark on youthful simplicity, from two days ago, in this very thread:

"As Sam can probably attest, I was guilty of it myself not too long ago."

I gave full disclosure, so lay off.

Date rape drugs are a result of technological advancement, which you've repeatedly said we should leave out of this conversation.

As for emotions not being "like they used to be" -- I'm with Golgot. I dunno what you're talking about, or how you could possibly know such a thing. I think you're just flailing about here.

No, when I said not to talk about technology, I was referring to OUR conversation, which was part of human morals disregarding the use of technology which has bettered our lives, but not bettered us as people.

Its amusing that you'll try anything to over yourself over me. Meh, whatever makes you jiggle.

Again, technology.

I don't know what the rest of your post has to do with the argument at hand. You seem to think that you can reply to any point made by listing gruesome anecdotes.
WELLLLLLLLLL! Let's see what the ARGUMENT at HAND is:

Well, lets see. That sentence, to some extent, doesn't make any sense. L Other then that, it shouts out "what's changed over the years?" I explained whats changed over the years.

He said it even when I wasn't talking about technology; that's the point. He either didn't understand, or didn't pay any attention. He also ignored the reasons I gave as to why we SHOULD include technology in the discussion.
I was held up in your little rape/murder stuff, I forgot to add:

I don't get it, from our conversation, why the hell are you placing technology in human morals? Is there something missing that I don't see...that a DNA test resides on human morals? That an airplane mingles with our human morals?

Wouldn't that be an oxymoron...to some extent?

Oh yeah...and this isn't a "what ticks you off thread"

That is one of the funniest mis-spellings i've read in so long. Please tell me you meant it PhaShiz. (And, erm, 1799? Has someone renovated Ancient Rome? You were making such a good point till then...
It's not a misspelling - It's gangsta' is what it is. And yes, 1977 is way off from being Ancient Rome - it was the date of a painting, my bad. It was Ancient Rome non the less and I can't find the specific date that it occured, BUT IT DID (my point remains valid). Do you know the date? I want to say it was around 268 BC, but I can't find an exact date.

wow, one day and i've missed a ton, but now that i'm caught up, i must say...
(apologies in advance)
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE you go on griping about who's right, and who's not being clear, and who's getting rep for their comments, but honestly you've lost track of the original argument. So, for the sake of simplicity, and an end to this ridiculous debate, Godsend, just say whatever you're trying to say, what exactly was the point you were trying to make? Yoda, once he's done, whatever beef you've got with his opinions, make a rebuttal and move on

or better yet, just drop it, does anyone even remember what you were originally fighting about???

Originally Posted by Michael_myers
or better yet, just drop it, does anyone even remember what you were originally fighting about???
I think stainless steal will never be outdated with the introduction of aluminum axes, me being a lumberjack and all.

Me off, ticked it did, this. News stations that spend about 5 minutes giving you actual fact (if you want to consider it that) then about 25 minutes of "professional opinion." I hate that crap, especially from the leftist media.