Kung Fu Panda

→ in
Tools    

Can you handle the crazy feet? ... Kung Fu Panda
Written by Jared Mobarak
Thursday, 05 June 2008

Pixar is where it is at for me animation-wise in Hollywood. Maybe that makes me a snob, but something about their films resonant on a level that the others can’t even begin to touch. Sure Shrek and Madagascar are funny, but besides the off-belly laugh, they are kind of shallow and hollow. With that said, I went to check out Dreamworks new foray into computer graphic cinema, Kung Fu Panda. Admittedly, I knew very little about this thing other than the fact that Jack Black and Angelina Jolie voiced characters. It could possibly be due to the fact that I don’t watch much tv, but I’ve seen sparse promotion at best until walking into the theatre and seeing a giant 3D panda in the lobby. On the whole, the film plays out much like you’d want a family/kid friendly picture to. We are given examples of friendship, belief in oneself, and humility—all life lessons we hope to inspire our youth with. With a good backbone such as that, along with some humorous bits and stunning action choreography, this panda definitely packs a punch doing his job: entertaining the audience right until the final frame.

Credit the producers for compiling a top-notch roster of vocal talent to enhance the somewhat ho-hum script. These types of movies are never very original, so it takes a bit of extra panache to really draw me in. Black is actually quite good in the role and Po the panda plays right into his schtick. When arriving at the hall of warriors, he goes to every artifact and does his thing, screaming his excitement at all the cool stuff like it’s his JB character from Tenacious D eying Jimi Hendrix’s first guitar. The Kung Fu arm mannerisms even recall his air guitar/rock n’ roll motions. Black is somewhat restrained and his manic energy is reigned in to be effective on the comedic and dramatic levels. This guy is, after all, our entrance into the story and the character we are supposed to relate to. An outcast and an original, we all can see a bit of ourselves, always dreaming but never taking the leap to achieve those goals. We watch his evolution and start to believe that it could happen to us too.

It is a fine line for the supporting roles. A Panda with historical knowledge of the ancient art yet without any actual experience has been proclaimed the savior of the valley against a monster of a foe. He is truly the ugly duckling and all those around him must straddle the division of chiding him and the absurdity of the situation, but not be too mean—there are kids watching. In order to keep a good grasp on this tenuous situation, the filmmakers cast a group of affable people with the ability to work in serious moments, but never relinquish the humorous edge to their voice. Guys like David Cross, Seth Rogen, and Jackie Chan are perfect for the roles of the true warriors attempting to reconcile their preconceptions of this screw-up swooping in and taking their thunder. Moments like the acupuncture scene really show this to be true. Jolie is good as Tigress, another fighter and prize student, but the role ends up being pretty forgettable and by the books. She never really gets the range to go crazy. Neither does Dustin Hoffman as the master and teacher to them all, yet he is a still a success. My favorite supporter was the great Ian McShane as Tai Lung, the villain of the tale. No one has a better voice for nefarious deeds than this guy and he delivers continuously.

As far as the story goes, it is a nice tale to teach the kids about faith and comradery. For us older folk, however, we are treated with some spectacular action/battle sequences to satisfy our want for more than just preaching. The chopstick fight between Hoffman and Black is fantastic, having comedy and tenacity with some nice artwork and fast paced movement. The battle on a rope bridge towards the end, as well as the final confrontation, is also highly enjoyable. Credit the entertainment to the acting and a gimmick that at first made me cringe. Throughout the film we are treated with slow-motion insertions during the action. A nod to old Kung Fu films and the satirical spoofs created as a result, I was thinking I’d grow tired of the maneuver very fast. Fortunately, as the movie continues on, the moments become sprinkled in with perfect timing. The escape from Rhino prison wouldn’t have been half as fun without the speed changes in the action and the slow-mo facial expressions of those getting thrown around. Even towards the end, the filmmakers began to use it as an original comedic device. Capturing Po’s reaction to a charging Tai Lung is absolutely priceless.

Kung Fu Panda is by no means a masterpiece, but for a cartoon that really flew under my radar, I had a lot of fun taking part in the experience. Right from the beginning, with a stylized 2D rendered sequence as an introduction, I saw that this wouldn’t be quite the run-of-the-mill work I was anticipating. Always staying fresh and funny I can fully endorse anyone wanting to check it out as a nice appetizer to what could be a fantastic main course in Pixar’s Wall-E come this summer.

Kung Fu Panda 7/10

Lets put a smile on that block
Pixar is where it is at for me animation-wise in Hollywood. Maybe that makes me a snob, but something about their films resonant on a level that the others can’t even begin to touch...(Dreamworks) are kind of shallow and hollow.
This is exactly my attitude towards Pixar and Dreamworks as well. Hence my over exuberance for WALL*E and my mild indifference to this Panda.

Great review though Jjoe. I'm off to a screening of this Sunday morning and i now have a feeling it's going to be a little better than i am anticipating.

Still not sure if its worth getting up at 9.30 for on a Sunday morning though.

You're a Genius all the time
I'm off to a screening of this Sunday morning and i now have a feeling it's going to be a little better than i am anticipating.
Wait, if you're expecting it to be a little better than you're anticipating, doesn't that mean your anticipation is much higher than it was before? So now these expectations are going to be exceeded even further? Because this feeling you have that it's going to be a little better than you're anticipating must be inflating your anticipation for the film a bit. Right?

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but Kung Fu Panda looks pretty cool.

Here's my review of Kung Fu Panda. I really, really enjoyed this film. I can't recommend it enough. I laughed plenty, was genuinely wowed by some of the action sequences, and the art direction was truly stunning at times. Can't recommend this one enough.

Kung Fu Panda

Most family films -- even the good ones -- follow one of several prepackaged themes. There's the classic fish out of water tale, misfits who blossom into beautiful swans, and various spins on the tale of the prodigal son. The only variables are which anthropomorphic animal is involved, and their backdrop.

It would have been far too easy for Kung Fu Panda to follow the family film formula, with the species of its character and his locale being the only thing to differentiate it from its colleagues. But the people behind Kung Fu Panda have a great love of kung fu cinema which shines through their production. We see this in the film's very first scene: a highly stylized, highly comical homage to the genre. If you enjoy the first five minutes, you can be confident you'll love the rest.

The story, of course, is still pedestrian at its core: a panda named Po (Jack Black) spends his days working for his father, who's great calling in life is to sell noodles. He wants this same fate for Po, but Po is enamored with kung fu; its practice, history, and relics. It is quite serendipitous, then, that he is alive to see the designation of the fabled Dragon Warrior -- a kung fu master of such skill that he or she is allowed to read from the Dragon Scroll, which is said to convey boundless wisdom and power.

It goes without saying that somehow, Po finds himself in the middle of all this, and before long is training alongside great warriors, making for a pitiable contrast. Worse still is that they're counting on him to stop Tai Lung (Ian McShane), a deadly warrior who's broken out of prison despite being held underground and restrained by a thousand guards.

There's nothing particularly special or unique about the film's setup, but it works when viewed as a fawning mimicry of kung fu films in general. Though it strays towards satire throughout its 92 minute runtime, it never loses its sense of admiration and respect and for the films that spawned it. This works in large part because it's not content to pay lip service to the "kung fu" in its title; it actually tries to thrill us with its battles, and it usually succeeds. Tai Lung's escape, for example, is brilliant and elaborate, and one of the film's several breathtaking action sequences.

What is particularly special and unique is the comedy, which is remarkably broad, yet still quirky. At one point, while trudging up a hill as part of his training, Po asks his master "Look, I know you're trying to be all mysterious and kung-foo-y, but can you tell me what we're doing?"

The voice work is often top-notch; Dustin Hoffman is perfect as the diminutive Master Shifu, and Black's comic sensibilities and talent for making ordinary phrases funny are on full display, often to a degree that would imply ad-libbing if the film weren't animated. Angelina Jolie's work as Tigress is not bad, per se, but doesn't quite suit the character's ambitious nature. McShane as Tai Lung is suitably gruff and fearsome, though he sounds a bit older than his on-screen counterpart.

Somehow, all the humor feels fresh and modern, but almost completely avoids the dated pop culture references that permeate other Dreamworks efforts. Give credit to writers Glenn Berger and Jonathan Aibel, who also worked together on King of the Hill and The George Carlin Show -- likely explaining the film's sometimes mature humor.

The comedy isn't the only thing that sets Kung Fu Panda apart, however; the animation is stunning. It goes without saying that the best animation is often the most recent, and as such it is increasingly the quality of an animated film's art direction that sets it apart. Thankfully, this is where Kung Fu Panda stands out. From vast underground prisons, to grand staircases, to layers of mountains obscured by mist, the film is easily among the most eye-pleasing in the history of computer generated animation. The physics and character models are superb, but the style of their world and the angles used to "shoot" it are unrivaled.

Kung Fu Panda is still a family film, and as such certain aspects of the story must follow a certain trajectory. But the film is as smart as it can be in following it, and does throw us a curve ball or two. It is a sharp, funny, gorgeously constructed family film that entertains on all levels, and still shows reverence for its source.

Welcome to the human race...
Now I'm looking forward to seeing this...then again, a lot of people had the same amount of praise for Ratatouille so I'm wavering...

Lets put a smile on that block
Wait, if you're expecting it to be a little better than you're anticipating, doesn't that mean your anticipation is much higher than it was before? So now these expectations are going to be exceeded even further? Because this feeling you have that it's going to be a little better than you're anticipating must be inflating your anticipation for the film a bit. Right?

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but Kung Fu Panda looks pretty cool.
Chef, this is exactly correct. My anticipations were increased, as I was expecting it was going to be better than I anticipated. This resulting snowball effect of increasing positive expectations over my increasing anticipation meant that by the time Sunday came around, I was so excited and convinced the film was going to be incredible, I actually forgot to put clothes on or have a wash so I arrived at the screening covered in excrement and babbling like a mad man. Suffice to say they still let me in and I was thoroughly disappointed and have since attempted to take my life on several occasions.

But I am so over that now.

I thought it was good, Black as Po wasn’t as annoying as I thought he was going to be and I was happy to see a Dreamworks childrens comedy without relying on their normal pop culture references that normally pop up in their films (Ala Shrek). Good fun for the kiddles fo shizzle.

My major criticism is the utter pointlessness of getting such big names to voice the side characters of the furious five. Chan as Master Monkey said like two words. Literally. Seemed stupid to get them involved.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I agree with Blibb on the supporting characters. Aside from Po and Shifu, none of them had anything going for them. Did we really need A List actors in these roles? It made it seem like they were going to have a bigger role then what they were given, which leads itself to another point. It's a little too short for me. There is no real adventure in this film, it is too confined.

Yet I still liked it.

My review will be sometime tomorrow.

Suspect's Reviews

The logical step to previous action movies lol. This sounds like a terrible film but for me I really enjoyed it stupid as it seems. Hilarious from to finish which is surprising for a film about a panda that can do Kung Fu. The voice overs include Jack Black who plays the lead and others include Angelina Jolie and Seth Rogen. Really enjoyed this movie.

This is exactly my attitude towards Pixar and Dreamworks as well. Hence my over exuberance for WALL*E and my mild indifference to this Panda.

you're not the only one...

WALLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
I'm looking forward to Kung Fu Panda, my only reservation is that he can't be any good at Kung Fu, as he's got two black eyes.........
Ok, I'll get my jacket.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I didn't care for Madagascar, but I loved the first Shrek and tolerate the other two.

Kung Fu Panda was surprisingly good. And I loved the opening / closing credits animation. Good stuff.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
My son loves all the dreamworks and pixar movies, and when he saw the trailer for this film his face lit up as it always does, he is looking forward to seeing this film and so am I. Jack Black is a genious, he is hilarious! This film looks great.

I will stay rental on this panda.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Watched this on DVD tonight. It was cute.

You know what struck me? As I watched the credits roll, I thought, hmm, s/he was that voice?

Remember back when you KNEW the voices without reading the credits? They were distinctive and that's WHY they were the voices?

I've got to say, even Jack Black sounded like Dom Deluise more than Jack Black to me. Maybe it's just me. I dunno.

i've learned a lot from it.

the view hold by oneself is the toughest enemy, who can surmount it, who's the winner.

especially by now, the financial crisis, we should get that a good lesson.

excellant animated movie

I quite like this film, but seeing it about ten times over plane journeys was a bit tedious