Skepsis' 100

→ in
Tools    

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Michel Gondry, 2004
Screenplay by Charlie Kaufman
Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet & Elijah Wood

"What a loss to spend that much time with someone, only to find out that she's a stranger."

I saw this film for the first time when I was 13 or 14 and I didn't get it. I was expecting another wacky Jim Carrey comedy and was sorely disappointed. Then I revisited it. It's about two years now since I started looking at film in a new light, the beginning of a passion that has lasted me until now and shows no signs of slowing down, and it started with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Not only is this my favourite film, it also kick-started a sort of renaissance in my tastes, a period that has made me look at art and life with new eyes.

"Joel, hide me in your humiliation!"

I knew immediately after seeing it for that second time that it was something incredibly special. An actor whom I had previously admired only for his comedic chops (and he has them, don't get me wrong) was up there on the screen delivering an emotionally complex, deeply felt performance – a sensational one. I started thinking about actors and their craft in new ways. The beautifully melancholic atmosphere still stuns me to silence, it was presenting romance in a bittersweet way I had never experienced before. And the trippy weirdness that permeates almost every facet of the picture – the surreal visuals, the non-linear chronology, the blurring of dream and reality – was something completely new to me; I had never exposed myself to something like that before. It was awesome. Its comments on love, life, technology, relationships, and reality vs. fiction are incredibly intelligent and real yet accessible and moving. Many viewings later and it always hits me in the same ways, but new ways as well. Every performance is fantastic. It's beautifully written by one of my (now) favourite screenwriters with grace, humour and incredible pathos, built around a sensational concept. It always provokes new ideas. It's gloriously smart yet brilliantly entertaining. Its pleasures are endless.

I could go on for days about this film, but I think I'll keep it short and sweet. A HUGE thanks to anyone that commented, +repped, or even looked at my list, it's much, much appreciated. Really. I sincerely hope you enjoyed it and got something out of it, whether it's a new perspective on a film, or one you want to check out, I'll feel as though I've done some good.

Thanks for reading!

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Kudos for "Super" at no.2 although I don't think it's as good as Kick Ass. Just watched it again the other day for 2nd time. Funniest part for me is his ****** car that matches the colour of his costume. Some really funny parts, especially the Cinema que jumper scene. LOL.

Bit of a chick flick at no.1 though.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Never seen the lord of the rings movies.
Wut!!

I still haven't seen Eternal Sunshine - gonna have to fix that now Great list Skepsis, you've given me a lot of viewing ideas.

Overall a very good list.

My ratings:

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Slightly overrated in my book. Even though I understand why people love it I didn't manage to connect with this movie that much.

2. Super
+
Way underrated and an excellent and very interesting choice.

3. N.W.
4. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

I love epic movies and in terms of epic factor very few movies stand next to the Lord of the Rings.

5. American Beauty

A good movie, but I didn't understand what made it a great movie.

6. Lost in Translation

A very good movie that seeks to connect to the innermost emotional depth. Though I didn't love it I understand why someone might love it.

7. N.W.

8. Lawrence of Arabia

A classic epic, like LoRGs one of those movies that are simply too epic to receive less than a perfect rating.

9. Singin' in the Rain

A very enjoyable comedy but I think it was excessively praised.

10. Back to the Future

One of the most underrated films of all time (even though it has 8.5 on the IMDB, it is much loved by critics), Back to the Future is a must watch.

11. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Se 4th.

12. Donnie Darko

One of those films that people loved but which I found to be only amusing, though that rabbit scared the hell out of me.

13. Cidade de Deus

The last masterpiece produced in Brazilian territory by a Brazilian filmmaker.

14. N.W.

15. Harold and Maude
+
A very interesting and moving picture. Though I didn't love it that much I understand why it would move people.

Adding a few more masterpieces here, with LoRG, Back to the Future and Lawrence of Arabia. That's brings your list with 7 movies (considering that Lord of the Rings is a single movie released in three parts): Taxi Driver, La Jetee, Lord of the Rings, Back to the Future, Lawrence of Arabia, Mullholand Dr. and There Will Be Blood, that are also in my top 100.

A few stats (I like this part):

Popular Directors (2 or more movies)
Paul Thomas Anderson (4) - There Will Be Blood, Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love, The Master
Quentin Tarantino (3) - Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill: Vol. 1, Inglourious Basterds
Robert Zemeckis (3) - Back to the Future, Back to the Future Part III, Forrest Gump
Peter Jackson (3) - The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Richard Linklater (3) - School of Rock, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset
Alfred Hitchcock (3) - North by Northwest, Psycho, Vertigo
Peter Weir (3) - Picnic at Hanging Rock, Dead Poets Society, The Truman Show
Pete Docter (2) - Up, Monsters, Inc.
David Fincher (2) - The Social Network, Se7en
Woody Allen (2) - Midnight in Paris, Annie Hall
Coen Brothers (2) - O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Fargo
Darren Aronofsky (2) - Requiem for a Dream, Black Swan
Sidney Lumet (2) - 12 Angry Men, Network
David Lynch (2) - Mulholland Drive, The Straight Story
Andrew Stanton (2) Wall-E, Finding Nemo

More later, maybe

Give me all of your candy!
Just went out and bought Super after checking it out last night, I had to have it. Amazing film, I usually review a couple days after, but I did intsantly on my other thread, easily a

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Congrats on completing the list Skepsis. A fine choice for #1. And I'll need to give your beloved Super another go one day.

Not checked it against your old list yet but just from memory I know a few that didn't pop up that I was expecting - 500 Days of Summer, Man on the Moon, Hesher etc

Just went out and bought Super after checking it out last night, I had to have it. Amazing film, I usually review a couple days after, but I did intsantly on my other thread, easily a
Great! So glad you liked it.

Congrats on completing the list Skepsis. A fine choice for #1. And I'll need to give your beloved Super another go one day.

Not checked it against your old list yet but just from memory I know a few that didn't pop up that I was expecting - 500 Days of Summer, Man on the Moon, Hesher etc
Thanks man. Yeah, there's a couple there that just missed the cut. Hesher was on the previous list mostly on a whim, I still haven't seen it again. Man on the Moon I rewatched just before compiling the list and it's gotten very gradually worse for me as a film, although Carrey's performance is still terrific. I still like it a lot, just not enough to include it here.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Love Eternal Sunshine, great write up on it.

Suspect's Reviews