What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

history *is* moralizing
gonna see Nochnoj Dozor tomorrow!

A History of Violence

Rating 7, Viggo was fine but became a Maria Bello fan at this movie. William Hurt was good and Ed Harris is always good.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
I have been very busy lately, so its Batman Begins.

good night and good luck....excellent direction by george clooney who also plays producer fred friendly....great acting all around especially david strathairn as edward r. murrow... a must see...

Went to see the remake of "The Fog" this afternoon..horrible, boring, painful - and that was the more redeeming parts...to save you the bother and pain of seeing this movie just imagine this - replace all the actors from the original movie with Dawson Creek (or insert actors from any bad teenage soap opera) clones, take a perfectly good story line and royally f**k it up... and voila!! through the magic of bad movie making you can make a 1hr and 40 min movie feel like 5 hours...save your money and rent/buy the original.

District B13
Domino.

It tried desperately to be cool through it's funky crap o vision camera shots and it's great dialogue "Las Vegas is the most dangerous place on earth." Rofl, :barf:

Should've been Man on Fire 2: Woman on Fire with two standard bounty hounters laden with revenge filled plots and an ending only crap can produce itself.

I'm not into the whole film auteur all credit goes to the director and actor ONLY theory, but if there is someone who needs blame, blame Tony Scott, his movies are awful and pointless.

Tony Scott's next work, Kingdom of Heaven in South Central, F*ing A!

Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
Domino.

It tried desperately to be cool through it's funky crap o vision camera shots and it's great dialogue "Las Vegas is the most dangerous place on earth." Rofl, :barf:

Should've been Man on Fire 2: Woman on Fire with two standard bounty hounters laden with revenge filled plots and an ending only crap can produce itself.

I'm not into the whole film auteur all credit goes to the director and actor ONLY theory, but if there is someone who needs blame, blame Tony Scott, his movies are awful and pointless.

Tony Scott's next work, Kingdom of Heaven in South Central, F*ing A!

I thought Domino Harvey's story sounded interesting and was looking forward to seeing this… but so far, almost everything I've read has been negative…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

District B13
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
I thought Domino Harvey's story sounded interesting and was looking forward to seeing this… but so far, almost everything I've read has been negative…
First off, It's not Domino Harvey's story, it's taking the fact that a female bounty hunter with decent looks was a bounty hunter, and making a fictional situation.

All the fictional drama and lines were all very stupid and very boring. Keira Knightely sounded quit good for a european pisser, however, and rourke was pretty suave kickass.

Doesn't change Man on Fire 2: Woman's Fire, though, and Tony Scott is an asstard.

*Note* For those of you who want to duel me on this subject, I live in Las Vegas, and we are *not* the most dangerous city in the world, the stratosphere is *not* the top of the world nor referred to it as that (especially funny when you consider MT. Charleston in the distance is about 3 times higher than the stratosphere), and there was no robbery of 10 million dollars, the organized crime is now gone, and the whole thing was made up crap.

Just a note.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
First off, It's not Domino Harvey's story, it's taking the fact that a female bounty hunter with decent looks was a bounty hunter, and making a fictional situation.

All the fictional drama and lines were all very stupid and very boring. Keira Knightely sounded quit good for a european pisser, however, and rourke was pretty suave kickass.

Doesn't change Man on Fire 2: Woman's Fire, though, and Tony Scott is an asstard.

*Note* For those of you who want to duel me on this subject, I live in Las Vegas, and we are *not* the most dangerous city in the world, the stratosphere is *not* the top of the world nor referred to it as that (especially funny when you consider MT. Charleston in the distance is about 3 times higher than the stratosphere), and there was no robbery of 10 million dollars, the organized crime is now gone, and the whole thing was made up crap.

Just a note.
I don't think anyone will dispute those points, Obi. I agree that Vegas is clearly not the most dangerous place on earth, and I think it is well known that this is a fictional account of a non-fictional character. I doubt I will see this...

Today I went to see The Fog

The Squid & the Whale (2005 - Noah Baumbach)

A portrait of middle-class fractured family dynamics, thankfully with more emphasis on character than melodramatic plot machinations. Set in 1986 Brooklyn, we meet the Berkmans. The father, Bernard (Jeff Daniels), is a literature professor who a couple decades before had promise as a novelist - though he hasn't published in years. The mother, Joan (Laura Linney), is trying her hand at writing herself, and these days has much more interest than her husband. The elder son, Walt (Jesse Eisneberg), is a bright High School student who very obviously patterns himself on hero worship of his father, and the younger boy, Frank (Owen Kline), isn't sure what he wants to be yet, but he's pretty sure whatever it is it isn't going to be anything like Dad. There is a palpable "us against them" feeling in the family, between Bernard & Walt on one hand and Joan & Frank on the other.

Shortly after being introduced to the Berkmans and their dynamics, the parents announce that they will separate, with Bernard moving across Prospect Park to a run-down townhouse and Joan keeping the much nicer house. They will share joint custody, with the boys basically alternating between houses every other night.

What follows after that set-up is a really nice character piece where all four family members are fully drawn, and all the actors are quite good in their roles, especially Jeff Daniels as an arrogant and petty man who isn't much of a husband and is frankly a horrible parent. Casting Daniels, who has a very likeable and affable screen presence, as this rather unattractive character is a winning idea. Had it been an actor who is known for playing more arch and twisted roles it wouldn't have made sense that Walt would admire him so. But Walt buys into his father's bullsh!t bigtime, and his story is about reconciling his ideas of who both his parents are wth his own sense of self. It's very well written with some subtle shading, and Eisenberg, who was so memorable in Roger Dodger, is up to the task. Laura Linney probably gets the least screentime of the four, but she makes the most of every scene, inhabiting this woman who simply couldn't take it anymore and wants to move on with a life that doesn't include Bernard. She is flawed, but owns up to her mistakes in a way her husband wouldn't even think of, much less actually do in front of his children or wife. Frank, who is eleven or so, is the family member who most obviously takes the problems and feelings onto himself, and he acts out in bizarre ways, including new habits of secretly drinking alcohol and masturbating in public places, like the library at school. They are a quirky, complicated lot, though it isn't overplayed for either easy laughs or reflexive tears.

There's a nice, laid back tone that I really appreciated with the material, and all four of the Berkmans are well realized people. You may not empathize with them at all points along the way, but you do come to understand how the personalities and weaknesses of each individual works either with or more often against the others.

I enjoyed writer/director Noah Baumbach's debut, Kicking & Screaming (1995), but this film is definitely more accomplished and polished. Friend Wes Anderson, with whom he co-wrote The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, co-produced The Squid & the Whale, and one thing I noticed that must have influenced Noah working with Wes is his fantastic choice of soundtrack. Pink Floyd's "Hey You" features prominently in the plot, and in addition to that there's a wonderful mix of stuff from Lou Reed, Loudon Wainwright III, The Cars and one of my favorite pieces a mourful ode to the number eight from "Schoolhouse Rock". Like Wes Anderson's choices, they don't feel random, but perfect and eclectic pieces that compliment the emotional lives of the characters and the tone of the movie perfectly. Until The Life Aquatic and Squid Noah hadn't done much since that good debut a decade ago, but he seems to be back and better than ever. Now he's a name I'll definitely be on the lookout for.

GRADE: B+
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Jarhead (2005 - Sam Mendes)

In March of 2003, just days before George W. Bush would take us into war in Iraq, Tony Swofford's memoir, Jarhead, hit the shelves. Chiefly it recounts his experiences as a Marine sniper in the first armed conflict with Iraq under George Herbert Walker Bush, 1991's Desert Shield/Desert Storm. As it looked like our country would soon have more soldiers in similar circumstances, it made the timing of the publication a "lucky" coincidence. Far from a gung-ho adventure story, Jarhead is introspective, darkly critical, self-deprecating, and Swofford's writing voice can be profanely poetic. The book is an unflinching portrait of that particular battlefield, but it is also something larger: a soldier's narrative that is so unique and literary that it should take it's place with Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried and maybe even Heller's Catch-22. Yeah, it's that good.

Jarhead the movie is, sadly, not something larger.

The main, glaring problem with the film is it fails to capture Swofford's voice or even much of his unique perspective. What remains is an episodic war movie that, while visually stunning at times, has no real focus and nothing much to say. It's a shame, because the book speaks loudly. Sam Mendes and company get details correct, but miss the all important tone. Not that their movie is a rah-rah piece. Not at all. But the movie offers nothing new for an audience to think about...other than those beautifully horrible images. The screenwriter who adapted the book, Willam Broyles (Apollo 13, Cast Away), was a Marine himself in Vietnam and had a successful career as a journalist after the war before turning to Hollywood in the '90s. Theoretically he should have been a perfect choice to take on this project. But somehow he and Mendes have missed the larger points Swofford was illuminating. Too bad.

Jarhead does have its moments, and again I have to praise the visuals. In his first two movies, Mendes worked with the late, great Conrad Hall, and both American Beauty and The Road to Perdition are amazing to look at. This time Sam turned to Roger Deakins as his cinematographer. Deakins has lensed all eight of Joel & Ethan Coen's movies from Barton Fink onward, as well as Rafelson's Mountains of the Moon (1990), John Sayles Passion Fish (1992), Darabont's The Shawshank Redemption (1994), Scorsese's Kundun (1997), Vadim Perelman's House of Sand and Fog (2003), M. Night's The Village (2004) and many others. He is definitely one of the best in the business, and Jarhead stands as one of his best efforts. There's only so much one can do with the bright white sand of the desert during the daytime, but where Deakins excells are the battlescarred ground and most obviously the scenes at night, often lit seemingly only by the ubiquitous burning oil wells the Iraqi's left in their wake as they retreated. One of these shots in particular toward the end of the film, as Swofford (Gyllenhaal) and his spotter Troy (Peter Sarsgaard) return alone from their mission, with the sand blowing over the hills as they run through the flame-lit desert, is the equal in jaw-dropping beauty to anything Freddie Young shot in Lean's Lawrence of Arabia. Really magnificent stuff.

BUT, these astounding visuals that abound mostly in the second half of the movie take precedence over Tony's voice and thoughts and fears and insanities. For example, there's a scene where Swofford breaks from his platoon at the burnt-out wreakage of a bombed convoy and sits in the circle of a few charred human remains. Visually, it's an arresting moment, especially as this is the first time we see the footprints in the blackened sand leaving pure white from the sand underneath: a memorable and fascinating image. Then Gyllenhaal sits in the circle of dead men, says "Hell of a day, ain't it?", and vomits. This is how the same scene reads in the book...

We stop for chow. I eat the powdered cocoa and dehydrated pears from my MRE and give the main meal, spaghetti, to Dettmann. I put my crackers in my cargo pocket, saving them for later when I will need salt. We are in a slight draw, and I walk up the rise in order to ***** in private.

On the other side of the rise, bodies and vehicles are everywhere. The wind blows. I assume this is what remains of an Iraqi convoy that had stopped for the night. Twelve vehicles – eight troop carriers and four supply trucks – are in a circle. Men are gathered dead around what must have been their morning or evening fire. This is disturbing, not knowing what meal they were eating. I am looking at an exhibit in a war museum. But there are no curators, no docents, no benefactors with their names chiseled into marble. The benefactors wish to remain anonymous.

Two large bomb depressions on either side of the circle of vehicles look like the mark a fist would make in a block of clay. A few men are dead in the cabs of the trucks, and the hatch of one troop carrier is open, bodies on bodies inside of it. The men around the fire are bent forward at the waist, sitting dead on large steel ammunition boxes. The corpses are badly burned and decaying, and when the wind shifts up the rise, I smell and taste their death, like a moist rotten sponge shoved into my mouth. I vomit into my mouth. I swish the vomit around before expelling it, as though it will cover the stink and taste of the dead men. I walk toward the fire circle. There is one vacant ammunition box, the dead man felled to the side. I pull my crackers from my pocket. I spit into the fire hole and join the circle of the dead. I open my crackers. So close to it, on top of it, I barely notice the hollow smell of death. The fire looks to be many days old, sand and windswept. Six tin coffee cups sit among the remains of the fire. The men’s boots are cooked to their feet. The man to my right has no head. To my left, the man’s head is between his legs, his arms hang at his sides like the burnt flags of defeated countries. The insects of the dead are swarming. Though I can make out no insignia, I imagine that the man across from me commanded the unit, and when the bombs landed, he was in the middle of issuing a patrol order, Tomorrow we will kick some American ass.

It would be silly to speak, but I’d like to. I want to ask the dead men their names and identification numbers and tell them this will soon end. They must have questions for me. But the distance between the living and the dead is too immense to breach. I could bend at the waist, close my eyes, and try to join these men in their tight dead circle, but I am not yet one of them. I must not close my eyes.

The sand surrounding me is smoky and charred. I feel as though I’ve entered the mirage. The dead Iraqis are poor company, but the presence of so much death reminds me that I’m alive, whatever awaits me to the north. I realize I may never again be so alive. I can see everything and nothing – this moment with the dead men has made my past worth living and my future, always uncertain, now has value.

Over the rise I hear the call to get on the road. I hear my name, two syllables. Troy is calling, and now Johnny, and Troy again. I throw my crackers into the gray fire pit. I try, but I cannot speak. I taste my cocoa-and-pears vomit.
It's one of the more memorable passages in the book, but in the movie it isn't much more than an interesting visual.

Of course it's always difficult to translate interior monologue to the movie screen, which is why so very many books suffer in the adaptation. The most obvious and easiest way to correct this problem is the use of voice over. Jarhead uses some, especially in the first part of the movie, but I found during the most crucial moments and for the deepest ideas, as in the above example, they elected not to use any voice over at all. Odd. Deakins' pictures do tell a story, but they don’t really tell Swofford's particular story. And that's the problem over and over again with Jarhead.

I think there was a way to bring the brilliance of the book much more to the screen, but it didn't happen here. What's left is visually gripping, but feels like it has no center. No soul. The book is largely about warfare by necessity or tradition or bad luck draining one's soul, but the movie eliminates the middle man - namely Anthony Swofford. Instead of the examination of this one man's decent and wrestling with the horrors around him and intellectually trying to process it all, what we have is an episodic military travelogue that is often interesting to look at but doesn't have the courage to do much of the plumbing of the depths that Swofford did as a soldier and an author.

Overall, this is a disappointment, and a lost opportunity.

GRADE: C+

This is another one of my favorite passages from the book, and I wonder if Mendes gave any thought to this as he made his Jarhead? This takes place at California's Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base, as the buildup to the first Iraq War seems more and more imminent....

Then we send a few guys downtown and rent all of the war movies they can get their hands on. They also buy a hell of a lot of beer. For three days we sit in our rec room and drink all of the beer and watch all of those damn movies, and we yell Semper Fi and we head-butt and beat the crap out of each other and we get off on the various visions of carnage and violence and deceit, the raping and killing and pillaging. We concentrate on Vietnam films because it's the most recent war, and the success and failures of that war helped write our training manuals. We rewind and review famous scenes, such as Robert Duvall and his helicopter gunships during Apocalypse Now, and in the same film Martin Sheen floating up the fake Vietnamese Congo; we watch Willem Dafoe get shot by a friendly and left on the battlefield in Platoon; and we listen closely as Matthew Modine talks trash to a streetwalker in Full Metal Jacket. We watch again the ragged, tired, burnt-out fighters walking through the villages and the pretty native women smiling because if they don't smile, the fighters might kill their pigs or burn their cache of rice. We rewind the rape scenes when American soldiers return from the bush after killing many VC to sip cool beers in a thatch bar while whores sit on their laps for a song or two (a song from the fifties when America was still sweet) before they retire to rooms and fu*k the whores sweetly. Yes, somehow the films convince us that these boys are sweet, even though we know we are much like these boys and that we are no longer sweet.

There is talk that many Vietnam films are antiwar, that the message is war is inhumane and look what happens when you train young American men to fight and kill, they turn their fighting and killing everywhere, they ignore their targets and desecrate the entire country, shooting fully automatic, forgetting they were trained to aim. But actually, Vietnam war films are all pro-war, no matter what the supposed message, what Kubrick or Coppola or Stone intended. Mr. and Mrs. Johnson in Omaha or San Francisco or Manhattan will watch the films and weep and decide once and for all that war is inhumane and terrible, and they will tell their friends at church and their family this. But Corporal Johnson at Camp Pendleton and Sergeant Johnson at Travis Air Force Base and Seaman Johnson at Coronado Naval Station and Spec 4 Johnson at Fort Bragg and Lance Corporal Swofford at Twentynine Palms Marine Corps Base watch the same films and are excited by them, because the magic brutality of the films celebrates the terrible and despicable beauty of their fighting skills. Fight, rape, war, pillage, burn. Filmic images of death and carnage are pornography for the military man; with film you are stroking his cock, tickling his balls with the pink feather of history, getting him ready for his real First Fu*k. It doesn't matter how many Mr. and Mrs. Johnsons are antiwar - the actual killers who know how to use the weapons are not.
In the movie Jarhead, all of that sentiment is condensed without words as the Marines watch the famous helicopter scene from Apocalypse Now, all singing along to Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries", cheering and hooting the explosions and carnage. But again, Swofford's thoughts are more pointed, more intellectual, and his voice becomes absent though the basic point is the same. This happens over and over and over again in Mendes' Jarhead.

Too bad.

There's treachery afoot!!!
The Weatherman and Saw II. Can't complain about either movie.

I can complain about The Weather Man. I saw it a couple weeks ago and was too bored by it to write anything then...

The Weather Man (2005 - Gore Verbinski)

Frustratingly dull picture that can never decide which movie it wants to be. It could have been a quirky daker comedy kind of thing, or it could have been a serious dramatic piece. As is, The Weather Man is neither. In not choosing a direction to go with the material, what's left is hollow and not at all dynamic.

There are about four major plot strands throughout the movie. Any one or two of them might have made for a decent film...in other hands. Instead The Weather Man gives them all kinda short thrift, and in constantly changing tones that don't connect from scene to scene and character to character. There's no true center to this as it ambles along, very boringly, to a sort of resolution at the end of a couple hours. There's no focus, no insight, not much of interest. The stuff with people throwing stuff at him and his taking up archery, is OK as a sitcom-level device, but all the best bits of that were used in the trailer and television commercials, and frankly it doesn't gel well with the plot about his strained relationship to his unemotional passive-agressive father, his awkward daughter's troubles of self identity and self respect, his son's relationship with a possible pediophile or his fractured marriage with his wife. The few moments I thought worked best were with the young daughter, the camel toe stuff and his finally reaching out to her. But that's lost in a sea of a bunch of other stuff that doesn't get fully examined with any kind of insight or wit or emotion, and none of this mixes well together. It's a dead, dull mess of a movie.

If you have a choice between The Weather Man and The Squid & the Whale, there shouldn't even be a discussion: The Squid & the Whale is well written, well acted, has a cohesive tone and interesting point of view, and is a satisfying filmgoing experience. The Weather Man clumsily wants to examine similar issues, but can't find a way into the material. It is a waste of time and talent, and I couldn't be a bigger fan of Michael Caine or Hope Davis (if you want to see Hope Davis shine in a 2005 movie about a dysfunctional family, see if Proof is still playing at a theater near you).

The Weather Man: D+
The Squid & the Whale: B+

District B13
separate lies.

From the writer of Gosford Park and starring the guy who got a sex change on a made for hbo movie.

I won't give away details about the plot, but I'll tell you what to expect.

Firstly, this is not a mystery/suspense movie, it is a romantic dramedy by all accounts. There is some mystery/suspense, but their is no bigger picture, no big plot twist, "whodunit", or anything like that. It is a relationship between a man and his wife. I assure you, the conventions of a romantic comedy are not present, instead English quirks and some rather perverted humor are in store, which I liked to some extent (although the annoying audience factor kicked into hyperdrive with their fake laughs).

When I saw this movie I was looking at it the wrong way, and therefore the ending made me angry. Please do not look at this movie like a mystery or you will be sorely dissapointed.

Good - 10/10

chicken little in 3d....cute spoof of both songs and films...steve zahn standout as runt of the litter....

afterwards invited up to the projectionist's room to view dolby's latest technology...