Brazil

→ in
Tools    

Brazil is definitively one of the top ten movies of all times. Its a sort of anti-Utopian spectacle, in the same fashion of George Orwell's 1984. The movie has a very complex sequence of events, which require more than one viewing for full understanding. In fact, the first time i saw Brazil, i didn't enjoy it much. But then i gave it a second chance, and the pleasure of watching it increased exponentially. The more I watch it, the more I discover hidden aspects and new ways to interpret this masterful creation. The scenario is extraordinary, mixing long pipe lines and a almost omnipresent Gothic atmosphere. If you didn't like the movie the first time you saw it, don't be by any means discouraged. This movie requires patience and an active role from the viewer. Finally, Brazil deserves special praise for all the dream-like sequences of the main character and the music fits in perfectly well.

Well I usually like to have a main character who you actually learn about, that has some intrigue to them. In Brazil everything surrounding him seems alive, but he's completely stiff.

A system of cells interlinked
John McClane and I watched this over the weekend, and you folks ragging on this film are just crazy folk! Crazy, I say!

You ready? You look ready.
Crazy x1000.

This film is a stroke of genius.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Finished here. It's been fun.
Had to grave dig to bring this one back. I did not like this film that much honestly. The art style was simply amazing and very cool, i loved that. Some of the satire was hilarious as well, but the story left alot to be desired. DeNiro's character made no sense, the main character was an awkward,bumbling idiot and that romantic subplot was so poorly fleshed out it was unbelievable. I give it a 6.5/10. I was hoping for something better being completely honest.

This is one of the best films I've ever seen. It's even in my top 10.

I've never watched a film that portrays the escapism of fantasy in such a powerful way as in this film. The satire is also razor sharp and is even so good that it becomes part of the whole 'psychology of the film'.

This film looks wickedly gorgeous and its way of storytelling is one of the most refreshing things I've ever seen on screen.

I might need to rewatch this then eventually. Any tips for me to make the most out of the viewing? I just felt the film wasn't sure about what it was trying to be sometimes.

I might need to rewatch this then eventually. Any tips for me to make the most out of the viewing? I just felt the film wasn't sure about what it was trying to be sometimes.
I think I recommended this film to Cobpyth before he eventually saw it, so he knows I am a big fan. It's one of my favourite Sci-fi films and potentially one of my favourites ever, but I haven't seen it in a while now to remember everything.

The confusion and mayhem is meant to be part of the film though, it's frustrating and off putting at times, but this chaos is meant to be representative of the mess that the main character has, through no fault of his own, got himself in to. The idiotic and random characters (De Niro) I found hilarious, and its all part of the satirical message the film has when it comes to the modern and bureaucratic world.

I can see why people wouldn't like it though, Ebert had a problem with the confusing plot, and I think it's something that could potentially take a few viewings to appreciate on all levels.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
This is one of my very favourite science fiction films, and a wonderfully creative, unorthodox, slice of weirdness from Gilliam who has to be one of the greatest filmmakers alive.

Just a perfect blend of dark comedy, satire, social commentary, fantasy, and drama. I still prefer 12 Monkeys, but this is still a masterwork and one of my favourite films.

If i had to choose between 12 Monkeys and Brazil I'd go with 12 Monkeys. Maybe i'll watch Brazil again sometime down the line.