A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

I started watching Murders in the Zoo and started dozing off like twenty minutes in. And it was only 8pm!

I need to start getting more sleep.
Wow, it's on Criterion? Nice.
It's worth giving it another try, imo. It's all nonsense of course, but it goes to some unexpectedly brutal places given the time it was made. Pre-code all the way.

Victim of The Night
I might have watched some Night Flight when I was younger. I think they showed music videos...or am I getting this confused with something else?
Music videos, animated shorts, concert footage, avant garde visual-art stuff, just a fun, edgy program.

Hellbender is the third film I've seen from the Adams Family team, and it's another good one. I think I still prefer Hatred, but that has seemingly disappeared so I can't revisit that one just now.
This one is about a mother and daughter living in an isolated house out in the mountains somewhere, who seem to be involved in something resembling witchcraft. The real-life mother and daughter play off each other well, even if their jam sessions are a little corny.

But it seems that they are actually musicians, in addition to everything else they do in the film, so that's cool I guess. But yeah, every now and then the low budget rears its head but for the most part this looks great, the effects are surprisingly good, and it's mostly well-written. Some twists and turns I didn't anticipate. Looking forward to their next one. (on Shudder)

Hellbender is the third film I've seen from the Adams Family team, and it's another good one. I think I still prefer Hatred, but that has seemingly disappeared so I can't revisit that one just now.
The Hatred looks interesting, but I don't seem to find it anywhere. I've seen quite a few more or less positive reviews of Hellbender so I guess I'll add it to my watchlist.

The Hatred looks interesting, but I don't seem to find it anywhere. I've seen quite a few more or less positive reviews of Hellbender so I guess I'll add it to my watchlist.
The Hatred is only like an hour long. I watched it on Prime years ago, but it's since disappeared. In fact at the time that I watched it, it didn't even have a Letterboxd entry. But it's the one I've liked most so far.

The Adamses are an interesting story if you're not aware of them. A married couple and two daughters who write, direct, shoot and star in their own films. And compose the score as well.

Wow, it's on Criterion? Nice.
It's worth giving it another try, imo. It's all nonsense of course, but it goes to some unexpectedly brutal places given the time it was made. Pre-code all the way.

Finished this just now and enjoyed it. Although I'm gonna pretend all the animals had their teeth corked in that one scene. Because if not... yikes!

Also, I went to bed at like 9pm and woke up at like 5am, so watching this was like watching cartoons before school as a kid. I assume this what Dolly Parton was singing about in "9 to 5".

Finished this just now and enjoyed it. Although I'm gonna pretend all the animals had their teeth corked in that one scene. Because if not... yikes!

Dang, dude!

Today I learned that it's impossible to carry an unclothed mannequin to the dumpster without looking like Jeffrey Dahmer. I actually checked myself in the mirror to determine which method didn't make me look like a disgusting pervert. The answer: None.
So I just took a deep breath and marched my way over there. Here's hoping one of my neighbors gets a funny story out of it at least.

The trick is not minding
Today I learned that it's impossible to carry an unclothed mannequin to the dumpster without looking like Jeffrey Dahmer. I actually checked myself in the mirror to determine which method didn't make me look like a disgusting pervert. The answer: None.
So I just took a deep breath and marched my way over there. Here's hoping one of my neighbors gets a funny story out of it at least.

Just a reminder that Mannequin is a fantasy. It won’t be coming to life looking like 1980’s Kim Cattrall.
Take your time in recovering.

Remember when I told you guys about the guy who came up to me and told me he was building a woman, and then showed me a picture on his cell phone of his blonde mannequin wearing a santa hat and glasses?

Captain Terror, was that you?!

Just a reminder that Mannequin is a fantasy. It won’t be coming to life looking like 1980’s Kim Cattrall.
Take your time in recovering.
The backstory is actually quite dull, and involves no weird proclivities on my part. Honest!

Remember when I told you guys about the guy who came up to me and told me he was building a woman, and then showed me a picture on his cell phone of his blonde mannequin wearing a santa hat and glasses?

Captain Terror, was that you?!
Well now that you mention it...
For years mine was in my home wearing a witch's hat and a Zeppelin T-shirt (and no pants). So no, that was a different guy.

The trick is not minding
Well now that you mention it...
For years mine was in my home wearing a witch's hat and a Zeppelin T-shirt (and no pants). So no, that was a different guy.
This just brings up even more questions…..

Did I mention I was carrying a wig in one hand? No?
Joe Spinnell over here, just takin' out the trash. Don't mind me...
You should have worn the wig.

Pumpkinhead is really good and much better than it has the right to be. I was initially concerned it would make a couple mistakes (the teen characters being annoying and being an awkward blend between serious and goofy horror), but it managed to avoid these pitfalls for the most part and made for a really solid horror film. Topped with more character depth than you'd expect from a low-budget horror film, a couple surprising kills, and some nice practical effects which hold up pretty well, I had a good time with it.