The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Trivia

Brokeback Mountain

Did you know that...
  • screenwriter Diana Ossana has said that convincing a director and production company to make the film was "a challenging and nonstop process"?
  • Gus Van Sant tried to make the film, and tried to cast Matt Damon, Joaquin Phoenix, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Ryan Phillippe, and Josh Hartnett for the lead roles?
  • Ang Lee considered retiring after filming Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Hulk? However, he decided against it to make this film.
  • Heath Ledger fell in love with Michelle Williams during filming? For her most emotional scenes, she requested Ledger to kiss Jake Gyllenhaal in front of her to get her in the right emotional state. Gyllenhaal is the godfather of Ledger and Williams' daughter.
  • Daniel Day-Lewis called it one of his favorite films? He praised Ledger's performance and dedicated his SAG award for There Will Be Blood to him.

101. Still Walking (65 points)
102. Little Miss Sunshine (64 points)
103. Once (64 points)
104. Chicago (63 points)
105. A Beautiful Mind (63 points)
106. The Aviator (63 points)
107. Millennium Actress (62 points)
108. Gran Torino (61 points)
109. Michael Clayton (59 points)
110. Everything Will Be OK (59 points)
From that list, I've only seen A Beautiful Mind and Gran Torino, both of which I enjoyed, but neither film made my ballot.

Yes! The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
was my number one movie!
As soon as the countdown was announced I knew this would be my #1. I don't think I've been more impressed with a film's near perfection.
I don't know why I haven't sought out this film. I think I thought in the back of my mind that it sounded pretentious.

But after reading your review, and also being a huge fan of Roger Deakins, I'll put it on my list for sure.

Trivia

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Did you know that...
  • Brad Pitt was the first choice for Jesse James, but the role of Ford was fought between Casey Affleck and Shia LaBeouf?
  • the original version assembled and edited by Dominik lasted more than 3 hours and was "a dark, contemplative examination of fame and infamy"? The studio opposed, and Pitt, Ridley Scott, Dylan Tichenor, and Michael Kahn worked on different versions to please the studio.
  • Pitt had a clause in his contract that the studio couldn't change the film's title?
  • this is Pitt's personal favorite movie of his?

Hold on, isn't Everything Will Be OK a short? I thought this list was only for feature films.
Shorts were eligible. There's no rule against them.
Yep. I'm pretty sure somebody asked about it on the preliminary thread, but I don't remember.

I don't know why I haven't sought out this film. I think I thought in the back of my mind that it sounded pretentious.

But after reading your review, and also being a huge fan of Roger Deakins, I'll put it on my list for sure.
If I had one word only to describe The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford it would be...Honest. As in honest film making void of pretentiousness for pretentiousness sake. It's not an edge of your seat western, not a rip roaring fun movie. It's slow and pensive, reflectively and thoughtful. One would have to be in the right mindset, relaxed and not rushed to enjoy fully. And not a film to watch on a mobile phone!

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I was just talking to Meds the other day about Torino and hoping it would make it.

Everyone except Citizen, Meds, and Donnie can get off my lawn.

To be fair, you've been in a sour mood from 100 to 51
Yeah but this has me grumpier now.

I'm also kind of irritated by Beautiful Mind missing the cut, but I had kind of assumed that was the case. The Torino one is a bigger shock.

Watching what just missed out, there are now 10 (possibly 11) films on my ballot that I think will not make the countdown. A few of them make me really sad, but we'll have to wait and see. Hedwig placing gives me a little hope, as does Millenium Actress being a near miss.

I should have gave Torino a few more points to make the countdown
Beautiful Mind too. Could have booted Master and Commander and New World off the list.

So for the number nerds here, that raises the question: how many ballots were each of those near misses on?
As little as three (Everything Will Be OK and Still Walking) to as much as seven (The Aviator)

Haven't seen The Assassination of Jesse James...

Brokeback Mountain was my number 13. A quiet reflection of a Wyoming sheep herder and a rodeo cowboy who have a relationship lasting two decades after bonding over an assignment. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal play the love interests who are definitely men, but they also have feelings for each other that can be felt from the back seats. Because this is the 1960s, they have to both play the front that they're heterosexuals by getting married to women. But the relationship between the two of them continues. The fact this lost to Crash is a travesty that wasn't forgotten until Moonlight took the crown from La La Land multiple years later. It still stings among the worst decisions of all time, though.

My List:
6. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
9. Million Dollar Baby
11. Spider-Man 2
13. Brokeback Mountain
21. Chicago (104)
22. The Wrestler

Honorable Mentions:
Remember the Titans
Unbreakable