Movie Tab II

Tools    

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
my faves are:

Dr T and the Women (2000)
Take that one to the "Guilty Pleasures" thread.

Million Dollar Baby
I really liked this movie and I can safely say I like Clint Eastwood as an actor and a director. I liked the pacing mainly and the way I felt caught off gaurd without being left saying, "What the fck? Where the hell did that come from?" Because feeling like that is whack, whack fo' sho'.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Deep Blue..... what a mixed bag! Interesting historical setting (LA in the days leading up to the Rodney King verdict), mostly interesting characters, mostly lame acting and a spotty script... and distractingly terrible music.

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
my faves are:
Dr T and the Women (2000)
It's not that Dr. T and the Women is one of Bob Altman's worst, it is flat out THE worst movie of his entire career. Altman is a genius and takes chances, but when he doesn't succeed the stink that will stay on you after a viewing will last longer than a skunk's.

It is a horrible, horrible movie.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Grizzly Man
Grizzly Man

Werner Herzog is one of my favorite directors, so when I heard he was coming out with a new documentary about a guy who’s devoured by the very bears he’s sworn to protect, I just had to see it.

Boy, am I glad I did.

There are parts of the film that are funny, and some that are strange. Scenes come along that are incredibly intense, then all of a sudden the screen is full of beauty. Some parts of the film are very sad…but then there’s also the near madness of the entire scenario. Treadwell wasn’t a normal guy. He wasn’t even a normal eco-guy. He was obsessed to the point that if he could’ve survived in the wilderness wearing nothing but a bearskin loincloth, he would’ve done it. Yet, regardless of his ever increasing slippage from society, and the quiet madness within…he was a decent man with a heart that nearly burst with love for the animals he swore to protect. If that was what he actually did. Perhaps because of this film, those grizzlies will have even more of a chance to survive without human interference. Timothy mused whether his death would do more good than his life. I guess we’ll see.

There is one part of the film that makes me laugh whenever I think of it…Herzog and his brain…Jeezum…He’s talking about what he thinks nature is really all about and says, “Nature is full of chaos, destruction, and murder".

It may not sound that funny, but if you know his voice, and even partially, the way he thinks…then this scene will be gold, Jerry. Gold!

The Constant gardener
The Constant Gardener

Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz star in a Fernando Meirelles (City of God) film that is one intelligent and often tense thriller. Think big pharmaceutical corporations, murder, politics, Africa, and cover-ups, and you’ll barely be scratching the surface. Don’t expect any action, because there’s barely any in it, but with a film like this, you don’t miss it. Everything is in the plot, dialogue, and the strength of the actors…who ALL give exceptional performances.

Unfortunately, this was a press screening in a packed auditorium, so there was plenty of distraction around us. Two chattering women behind…and one smart mouthed jerk who I wanted to sock right in the mouth. I actually need to see it again because I missed bits and pieces because of this.

Don’t even bother bringing the kids. They probably wouldn’t be able to follow the complicated plot, let alone get excited with the dialogue…which fuels the entire story.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Dr. T and the Women is flat out THE worst movie of his entire career.
okay then, if Holden says so, and so does Sinny too, let's make it one of my guilty pleasures?
i still prefer it to Gosford Park, yep!, so i take it my soul's damned, and i'll be a forever despised member among the MoFos...

A system of cells interlinked
The Fisher King (Gilliam, 1991) - WITH the fantastic Terry Gilliam commentary, which I hadn't been able to enjoy until now, as it isn't available on the DVD....

I love this film...even more so now! It was cool to see some of my analysis of the film was spot on, while some of it wasn't...

Clerks, over and over and over and over again >,>

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Gods_third_leg
37 TIMES?

Lmfao, damn straight

Really? Decent film, by a sometimes creative writer/director. I just don't see many depths to plumb with a film like this, no subtle philosophy, interesting photography or anything that would keep me coming back for more. I like his dialogue, though. Still, as a director, he just isn't very good/creative IMO, and he should just rely on his writing and hand the reigns over to a more skilled helmsman. Also, pop culture references can only go so far, and I think he has covered that by now. It's sort of a one trick pony, maybe two.

Anony....37? Is that all? I have seen some films over 1oo times, and a couple might be over 200....

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Sedai

Anony....37? Is that all?

37 ...in a row?

Sedai he was making a joke to the fact Dante's girlfriend sucked 37 dicks =p

And yea I can understand a lot of your points but when something you can relate to comes along it's nice to view

I watched Dawn of the dead more times than this and maybe over and over again was a slight exaggeration ^,^

The People's Republic of Clogher
Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe (1980, Les Blank)

Not really a movie so I'm not gonna rate it, an interesting little curio nonetheless - though not as interesting as the grainy shots of Herzog's Dwarves (which I've never seen) who make a brief appearance.

Crucified monkeys, indeed...

I am having a nervous breakdance
The Matrix Revolutions (2003 - The Wachowski Bros.)

A lot better than The Matrix Reloaded which I thought was so bad that I waited this long to see the Revolutions. Still, I don't think any of the sequels were on par with The Matrix.

The Outsiders (1983 - Francis Ford Coppola)

First time for me. I didn't think it was that good actually. It was fun to see all these young actors together in the same film but the film never grabbed hold of me. Matt Dillon was good though, only 19 years old.

Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004 - Quentin Tarantino)

I enjoyed it quite a bit. I liked the fact that it was more talking and less fighting in this one compared to Vol. 1. It's a cool film, visually as well as the characters, and I can live with the fact that Tarantino's robbed the vaults of kung fu and spagettie western movies of every penny and then spiced it up with RZA's stolen 70s goods. Impossible to identify with (or?) but damn fine entertainment.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Sedai he was making a joke to the fact Dante's girlfriend sucked 37 dicks =p

And yea I can understand a lot of your points but when something you can relate to comes along it's nice to view

I watched Dawn of the dead more times than this and maybe over and over again was a slight exaggeration ^,^

Heh, apparently I DO need to see it again!

I urge you to!

< Jooiin usss >

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Layer Cake - Pretty clever british gangster film. I recommend it.

Oldboy - WTF was this?!? insane Korean revenge thriller. This is a film Quentin Tarantino wishes he'd made. Look for him to remake it sometime, I'm sure. lol. Hint to American casting? think Nicholas Cage or Clive Owen. lol

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
Layer Cake - Pretty clever british gangster film. I recommend it.
Me too. I didn't have high hopes after the slew of Mockney Gangster films cluttering up the video stores since Lock Stock... was released.

But Layer Cake is, as you say, smart. And played straight. And stylishly directed. And Colm Meaney's in it.

I was thinking about watching layer cake, worth it?