Success is the only Earthly judge..
The question is what do YOU think it takes to make a good movie;
be it: SciFi, Horror, Comedy....I'm waiting on all ideas

there's a frog in my snake oil
Innovation?

Marketing?

Cats?

A system of cells interlinked
I think a good fiilm needs good chemistry amongst it's crew. Too many times have I seen directors claim that a film came out well because of great chemistry and artistic cooperation on the set. Obviously, directorial prowess ranks up there as well. It also seems that a director that works well with actors (see: Martin Scorsese) tends to make better films than those that cannot (see: George Lucas).

there's a frog in my snake oil
I ain't answering seriously til Opie solemnly promises that this isn't for a school project.

(Cool answer btw Seds )

Trust me it isn't for a school project...I SWEAR...I have honestly wanted to become a diector since I was like 5 so I am getting opinions...

I think:

1. Write brilliant and catchy dialogues, never use stereotipated phrases and don't underestimate the power of words. (and how they are spoken!)

2. Don't force yourself. If you can't have a brilliant idea for a politic movie, don't talk about politics in the movie.
If you want to make a movie about war just because everybody seems interested, don't do it unless you have something different to say.. well, don't do it!
(then, if your mind tells you something that could change people's take on things, try but, once again, don't force yourself)

3. Don't write with the intention of shocking, if there is something 'strange' like gay characters, perversion, adultery.. don't make it look like a sin or something to be afraid of.
Let it happen! Who gives a damn about fake moralism right now ? We are in 2006.

Thanks Tbj, that really does help I am currently in the middle of a screenplay, and now I am considering many revisions...anyway thanks again...

I think what makes a good film depends on the film your making
Special effects in movies that may be better without them.
I like movies that break cliches. They are rare though

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Monkeys. all good films have monkeys. King Kong, Planet of the Apes, Mighty Joe Young, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back...monkeys.

Can't go wrong with monkeys.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Hmm...how do you explain Ed then? Actually, how do you explain Ed anyways...

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Originally Posted by Golgot
holy sh|t golgot that cat image just made me pee my pants laughing so hard!!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally Posted by speedbump
Hmm...how do you explain Ed then? Actually, how do you explain Ed anyways...
That guy from Friends...he's comedy death. Not the monkey's fault.

Oh, and Any Which Way You Can with Clint Eastwood and that monkey. Comedy gold.

stranger then a drunken mime
Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
Monkeys. all good films have monkeys. King Kong, Planet of the Apes, Mighty Joe Young, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back...monkeys.

Can't go wrong with monkeys.

Your forgot MVP: Most Valuable Primate

It must be realistic. When the movie ends, and if you look back into it and realize it is possible, then it is a great movie. Of course there are other elements that one should focus on also.

Originally Posted by Aurovon
It must be realistic. When the movie ends, and if you look back into it and realize it is possible, then it is a great movie. Of course there are other elements that one should focus on also.
Bah. I have no interest in Reality. Everything should border on the fantastic, methinks. Thats what film is, to me, fantastic.

Escape, I mean from my life into that of another, what ever that maybe.

Originally Posted by nebbit
Escape, I mean from my life into that of another, what ever that maybe.
My favorite 'escape' movies just make me feel like a kid again. Others like a french gangster. Others like a cowboy. I like it when films can draw you utterly into themselves, so much so that it is impossibble to leave them behind after you leave the theater.

Randomly visiting for now
Originally Posted by Zeiken
My favorite 'escape' movies just make me feel like a kid again. Others like a french gangster. Others like a cowboy. I like it when films can draw you utterly into themselves, so much so that it is impossibble to leave them behind after you leave the theater.
yea films that impact you are always my favourites. One's that raise important questions, challenge your attitudes or just lift your soul. Wonderful music usually accompanies films such as these but not always.

Also if the movie makes you care about the characters then you end up wanting to see what happens, rather than just passively waiting to see what happens. You are never on the edge of your seat if you don't care what happens and in the same way you can never be really uplifted if you don't try to understand the characters and apply their experiences with your own. I can probably think of more things but I'll let others speak....

Clearly it doesnt take much. Look at the oscar winners.