Reading Tab

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Just read Regeneration by Pat Barker, about a doctor treating shell shocked patients in WWI. Harrowing stuff, yes, but compelling reading, I definitely recommend it. I liked it so much I went out and bought the whole trilogy.

Adi - if you are still looking for good gay literature this (well the second one especially, which I'm part way through) may well fit the bill

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Emperor: The Gates of Rome by Conn Igguldden was very interesting. It's tells a fictional account of Julius Ceaser and Brutus from childhood on to young adulthood. It's before they did the historical things we all know about but more books are planned.

*rubs hands together gleefully, chuckling*

I could not find an image. Ah well.

Hi I just discovered this tab. I did a search for "Arthur" but didn't find what I wanted. Does anyone know of any epic novels about King Arthur? I've been a fan of Arthurian legends since the 90's. I read some book by Stephen R. Lawhead if that rings a bell.

I especially like good versus evil content. Please let me know if you hear of/find something that sounds read-worthy. Thanks!

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Wow, I didn't know this thread existed. I'm going to have to go back and look through it. I often don't know what I want to read and want to see what others have to say.

I just finished The Last Dickens by the same author of The Dante Club. It was an average suspense tale but made a bit more fun because it was about Dickens' last book, The Mystery of Edwin Drood, which was unfinished due to his death.

I also just read The Lovely Bones and wow, what a beautiful and haunting book.

I'm reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I love this style of writing -- a mix of reality and fantasy (metafiction). This is my favorite genre. I'm a 1/3 through. I've been playing around with films lately and hanging here. I need to get back to reading it...

I'm also reading A Lion Among Men, the third book in the Wicked series. I'm having serious problems with this one... I decided to come back to it later. I love the first two books MacGuire wrote about Oz but I'm struggling with this one.

MovieForums Extra
Hi I just discovered this tab. I did a search for "Arthur" but didn't find what I wanted. Does anyone know of any epic novels about King Arthur? I've been a fan of Arthurian legends since the 90's. I read some book by Stephen R. Lawhead if that rings a bell.

I especially like good versus evil content. Please let me know if you hear of/find something that sounds read-worthy. Thanks!

I've been working (slaving) in a bookstore for the last 12 years. The books I would recommend are:

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. She has a whole series which are written from the perspective of the female characters. This is one of the first books we always recommend. (There was a mini series done by TNT in 2001 starring Angelica Huston and Julianna Margulies.)

Knight of the Sacred Lake by Rosalind Miles. I believe there are also several books that are primarliy about Guenevere. This one has received great reviews from our customers.

The Once and Future King by T.H. White. He is the author of The Sword in the Stone which was written in the 1930's. Its been on required summer reading lists forever. He also wrote The Book of Merlyn which is the conclusion to The Once and Future King.

Bernard Cornwell does a really nice series that covers all aspects of King Arthur and the knights of the Round Table called The Warlord Chronicles.

The last author I would recommend is Nancy McKenzie. Her books, Queen of Camelot and Grail Prince are easy to read and were a big hit with people 15 to 25 when they were first published in 2002. She has two others about Guenevere, The Child Queen and High Queen. You may have a more difficult time finding those as they were published in the 90's. I would recommend going on line and picking them up for a song. I use Barnes & Noble, but of course, I am somewhat biased.

This is a particular favorite reading interest of mine, (one of three).

The books mentioned above are good but my favs by far are by Mary Stewart and begin with The Crystal Cave. Beware however, these books turn the Arthurian Legend around in much the same way as Piers Anthony did for Death in Pale Horse. I found the result quite delicious but I read them long ago too . . .

i am reading 2 books at one time.. one is Last Child by John Hart and just got into the Sookie Stackhouse books too.
I really love those Sookie Stackhouse books. I eat em up like cotton candy!

The Human Condition by Hannah Arendt

and

Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville

Well, I am attempting.

Welcome to the human race...

American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Am about halfway through it at the moment - so far I rate it
. Absolutely brilliant book with everything I could really ask for.

MovieForums Extra

I just finished reading this book and I think its wonderful. The title was what caught my eye....stories with "film" in them usually grabs my attention. I can't say enough about it, so I am adding a review from Publisher's Weekly.

Publishers Weekly

In this poignant and witty memoir, Canadian novelist Gilmour (A Perfect Night to Go to China) grapples with his decision to allow his teenage son, Jesse, to leave school in the 10th grade provided he promises to watch three movies a week with his father. Determined not to force a formal education on his son, former film critic and television host Gilmour begins the film club with Truffaut's The 400 Blows-with Basic Instinct for "dessert." There are no lectures preceding the films, no quizzes on content or form: just a father and son watching movies together. Expertly tracing the trials and tribulations of teenage crushes and heartbreak, Gilmour explores not only his choice of films but also Jesse's struggles with his girlfriends and burgeoning music career. There are "units" on everything from undiscovered talent (Audrey Hepburn's Oscar-winning debut in Roman Holiday) to stillness, exemplified by Gary Cooper's ability in High Noonto steal a scene without moving a muscle. Gilmour expertly tackles the nostalgia not only of film but also that of parents, watching as their children grow and develop separate lives. With his unique blend of film history and personal memoir, Gilmour's latest offering will deservedly win him new American fans.

I think this book should be required reading for all dads, especially ones who enjoy film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Film Club is a cool book. Holden gave it to me. It somewhat coincides with my life with my daughter Sarah, although she didn't quit school. However, we have watched at least three films a week for over two years now and she is going to the USC School of Cinematic Arts starting in August.

The Human Condition by Hannah Arendt

and

Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville

Well, I am attempting.
Really, really refreshing to see other people reading non-fiction. It seems to be increasingly rare, often ditched in favor of fantasy and potboilers and what not. To each their own, but I've always associated reading with learning more than mere entertainment.

Speaking of which...

Satan's Circus

Interesting book about corruption in Tammany Hall in New York around the turn of the (last) century. A little longer than it has to be, but meticulously detailed. When it gets past the sometimes repetitious task of detailing yet more graft, it actually has an interesting narrative. A little too involved for me to wholeheartedly recommend, but if real-life crime interests you, you can do a lot worse.

EDIT: forgot to mention that it makes an awfully compelling case that Charley Becker, who was the defendent in the "Trial of the Century" that the book is based around, was actually innocent of the murder he was executed for. This is complicated by the fact that he was definitely breaking the law in other ways and using his status on the force for his own benefit, but the book makes a very strong case to this effect, and I believe I've heard that some other books on the same topic do, as well.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
The Film Club is a cool book. Holden gave it to me. It somewhat coincides with my life with my daughter Sarah, although she didn't quit school. However, we have watched at least three films a week for over two years now and she is going to the USC School of Cinematic Arts starting in August.
A teacher gave that to me as a gift and I left it at school.

I forgot all about it until I read your post. I can get it back on Tuesday -- is it really worth reading?

That is so cool that your daughter is going there.

MovieForums Extra

Mark, this may sound weird but I was thinking of you when I was reading this book. (Not a stalker....I swear.) I thought, this is the kind of insightful material that markf could create. Honest. I almost added it to my post, but I didn't want you to think I was a nutjob.

I've always seen reading as a form of education but also, and very importantly, as a much needed a form of escapism. Books, films and movies gave me safe worlds to retreat to as a child (although for a long time I was only allowed biographies of presidents, first ladies, text books, reference materials or religious things to read), when I discovered fiction it was just brilliant to me!

In one of our encyclopedias which was for children, child craft I believe, it taught me about roman myths. I was quite fascinated. I couldn't read these myths often enough. I was the kind of child that would read the dictionary. LOL.

I was also sheltered from TV and movies for quite some time. These too became delicious playgrounds for me. Safe places that no one was trying to hurt me in were greatly valued then and though I no longer worry for my personal safety at my former caregivers hands, now.

Best of all is when I can share my love of a book, movie or tv show with others and not be slapped down for the things I enjoy. This is why I often run movie lovers, or book groups for libraries and other venues.

I remember all too well when I brought my first novel home from the public library. My Dad threw a fit because it was "godless". The book btw, was Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.

Long ago I read tons of self help books to enable me to deal with the difficult people in my life or the difficult times. I happily don't need those anymore.

Here I record some of the novels I read and a few non fiction that were particularly good. I also read a great deal for my work and for homeschooling, but I'm not now, nor have I ever been an intellectual snob about what people "should" be reading. I guess it reminds me too negatively of people trying to control me and my access.

I've belonged to quite a few book clubs that chose books they really didn't want to read but thought they should. Maybe they thought they should be seen reading such books too? Those were generally miserable groups more interested in comparing, homes, rings, husbands and children than in reading at all. I couldn't stand them, or the book selections and had to stop going to those kinds of groups.

As a former librarian and a homeschooling parent I tell people all the time, let people and especially kids, read what interests them if you want good readers. This seems to be a difficult concept for many to understand. They want the kids and others to read what they "should" read.

Each to their own, I know what makes people enjoy reading and I provide it in my groups and anywhere else I can. Just reading can help in so many areas even if it's what some would dissapprove of, you still generally increase your vocabulary and understanding of quite a few things. If you are a thoughtful person, you might even look up some of the "facts" in what you are reading to see if they really are accurate or not and learn even more.

Anyway, I just had to say, yes, I read a great deal for fun and for many other reasons.

Sorry to hear that you were subjected to that sort of thing. Doesn't sound like a very pleasant way to be introduced to reading.

I didn't realize you homeschooled...? Quite cool. I was homeschooled most of my life, save for one year in 5th grade.

That's probably why I approach books the way I do, actually. I don't have a very formal education, so I tend to think of reading as a great equalizer. I know that I can compensate, and even surpass people with formal educations if I simply read more than them. All the knowledge and insight in the world is just sitting there, usually for free, for anyone who cares to find it. I find that so amazing and fantastic that anything that isn't teaching me something always feels like a missed opportunity. I can never shake the feeling that, for every book I read to pass the time, I will inevitably have to read one less great book, or learn one less thing, or be exposed to one less new idea.

It's a fine line, of course, because nobody wants all their reading to feel like work, but if you enjoy a subject enough I find it doesn't have to. I do read some fiction, though I usually only enjoy it if it has interesting themes or parallels that can be applied to real life. There are some notable exceptions, though they're almost always people that I feel will help make me a better writer. That's just the way I'm wired, I suppose.

It's so true that reading can do great things for one's education.

Yes, we homeschool, it was my kids idea, not mine. At first I was very into them having the "normal" childhood and going to school with the same group of kids all the way through that I didn't have. It's been great for our family and our kids.

I graduated one this year. She was the valedictorian of her umbrella school, has a full four year scholarship and will be in the honors program at the college she chose.

My other teen will be a junior this year in high school and hopes for an athletic scholarship and to play NCAA sports in college.

Demian - Hermann Hesse.

I'm a big Hesse fan, of the books I have read so far of his he has never dissapointed and this book is exactly the same. I dont know how to put those popcorn rating things up yet but from what I've read so far I would give it 4/5. It really is excellent.