Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

Do they speak english in 'What'!?
Citizen Kane and Titanic are overated in my opinion, along with Brokeback Mountain.

A system of cells interlinked
The Dark Knight, man I hated that movie
Care to list why?

is thouroughly embarrassed of this old username.
Care to list why?
Well, because everything that happened in the movie just felt silly to me but, considering it's a comic book movie, it should be justified. I don't think so, The Dark Knight didn't have the comic book atmosphere required to justify the overall silliness and predictability of the movie. Plus, I just plain didn't like any of the characters and yes that includes The Joker. I felt Ledger's performance was far below the hype because, to me it sounded like he was reading his lines right of the script but, covering it up with a silly voice and laugh. I thought most of the dialogue was way to over the top for this "realistic" movie. I'd say the best part of the movie way when they killed off Rachael only because she was horribly annoying. On top of that, the fight scenes were some of the worst I think I've seen. Plus, the movie was just all-around boring and dragged on and on. I'm usually not the impatient type considering my favourite movie last 2 hours and 40 minutes, but The Dark Knight just wouldn't end. I could go on.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Pulp Fiction, too -- I think that is entirely overrated.
Dude how can you say that?

Pulp Fiction is a master piece what were you thinking?

Besides the simple fact its derivative of Godard's Band of Outsiders? I'd like for Tarantino to be original just once, instead of constantly paying homage to older films.

Yeah, its overrated.

I'd say the best part of the movie way when they killed off Rachael only because she was horribly annoying.
Although I loved the movie, I hated her character, she has always been just high and mighty b!tch. I HATE Katie Holme's performance the most, but Gyllenhall's was just as flat and pointless. Although, I just may have been turned against the character because of my disdain for katie Holmes, I think her cutesie persona conflicted with it's dark themes. It's just too bad Holmes, wasn't in DK, it would have made her fate more satisfying.

...uh the post is up there...

Overrated films -
The Rules of the Game - an utterly boring french soap opera. Couldn't care less if it had anything to do with French aristocrats/middle-class. The movie was horrendous.

Citizen Kane -
Oh man, oh man. How the hell could this movie be rated so high? I fell asleep during it. The beginning of the movie I loved, and I loved the symbolism of Rosebud, and why he was muttering it at the beginning. I think the movie would be much better suited as a book, because IMO they didn't make it seem interesting enough in the movie.

The Dark Knight - I feel it was overrated. I love Batman and I loved it as a kid; I collected all the action figures, the films, etc, but this movie didn't do it for me. It was good of course, but to me it seemed like just another one of those basic hollywood films. I'm not one to like action, because it's so brainless. I enjoy learning about the characters and getting to know them more, and I felt that I didn't get in touch with the characters. The Joker was pretty decent, but he seemed like just another ordinary bad guy. The movie was just too fast paced, and I thought I didn't bond with the characters well enough. I guess I've just had it with the superhero movies; the plot is too predictable. I preferred Batman Begins than this; was much better.

And, lol @ Justin. Goodfellas and Shawshank Redemption were amazing movies. For both of them I never even budged a muscle because I was so attached to them. Pulp Fiction was also amazing, but not as great as Goodfellas and Shawshank Redemption in my opinion.

Never Rub Another Mans Rhubarb.
One of the most over rated movies of all time has to Escape From New York. How they based the Metal Gear Solid on this movie is beyond me.

And, lol @ Justin. Goodfellas and Shawshank Redemption were amazing movies. For both of them I never even budged a muscle because I was so attached to them. Pulp Fiction was also amazing, but not as great as Goodfellas and Shawshank Redemption in my opinion.
They were? All I saw were three films that tried too hard. I'd really like to hear what was so "amazing" about Shawshank, Goodfellas, and Pulp Fiction. See more films, then try and call those films "amazing" or "masterpieces".

Feel free to elaborate. And perhaps you should watch Rules of the Game again, you might find a lot more than a "soap opera".

They were? All I saw were three films that tried too hard. I'd really like to hear what was so "amazing" about Shawshank, Goodfellas, and Pulp Fiction. See more films, then try and call those films "amazing" or "masterpieces".

Feel free to elaborate. And perhaps you should watch Rules of the Game again, you might find a lot more than a "soap opera".
You didn't think that Shawshank or Goodfellas were great films? Maybe you should watch more films. See? It's a **** argument isn't it?

Whether you think they are overrated or not is a different issue, you implied that they weren't great films and that envy (or anyone else who thinks the same way) should see more films. If I'm honest, the only reason I said anything was because you told someone to see more films and used it as an argument and that just annoys me. But that's my own problem.

I would, however, be interested as to why you don't think that Goodfellas or The Shawshank Redemption are great or amazing films though.

Because Envy should see more films; I would state that if Envy had seen numerous, more important films than those, he/or she might not feel the same way anymore. I know I didn't, as well as others.

I seriously dislike Shawshank Redemption, mostly due to the cheap sentimentality in the film, as well as the theatrics, and cheap symbolism; there is absolutely nothing special about it -- nothing within the scoring, cinematography, the acting. It was a very typical film with nothing special to say.

Goodfellas is a little more respectable, because the film does have its merits in the technical department. It follows the same Hollywood conventions -- there are plenty better mobster films out there; specifically Scorsese's masterpiece Mean Streets. Other than that, Goodfellas is only above average. I don't see any real merits within the film that aren't within the technical aspects that haven't already been achieved by his predecessors (i.e. much influence from Godard).

I've already stated why I dislike Tarantino altogether, specifically Pulp Fiction. I hate archetypal, derivative films.

Goodfella’s, The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction are all strong movies. Maybe not in your chosen way of rating a film, but none the les they all have their own individual strengths. That’s not debatable.

On Pulp Fiction I’d have to say it’s incredibly well written and executed. Its also has heaped portions of "style" which I can see for some movie goers can be over sickly and lead to debates of style over substance if not cries of cries of over-rating. It also features a lot of dialogue which isn’t always pleasant so it’s not going to turn every one on.

On Goodfella’s I have little to say other than it’s a life story narrative. The point being it pumps out all the emotions you go through in reaching all those milestones that you can in a lifetime, hence it’s lovability. Add the fact that the characters are so strong they inturn become an entrenched part of the films appeal. I do find this a rare achievement in modern cinema. I guess the film is also violent, misogynistic and long.

The thing with Shawshank was that it never got the original the box office attention of the other two films. On that premise alone it’s surely a contender for “most underrated film”. Shawshank’s success was always in the video shop which is a testament to its fan based appeal. It also frequently tops greatest movies of all time lists, so depending on you look at it that either gives you a lot of rationale to shoot the film down or evidence of its lasting popularity which surely means it’s a top film. Personally I don’t think it’s overrated. I liked the film, but for me it never was going to be the type of film id call the greatest, so I think it would be unfair for me to slag it off in light of others acclaim…

.. go figure

Pulp Fiction is style over substance, but not Tarantino's style.

And why is that so special, concerning Goodfellas? Thousands of films have done the same exact thing, only much better. I have seen much stronger characters in other films, so I don't see your point.

How "popular" Shawshank was at the box office means nothing, nor how popular it is on IMDB or with critics. Most critics and most audiences are suckers for sentimentality and flimsy symbolism, wouldn't you say?

Pulp Fiction is style over substance, but not Tarantino's style.

And why is that so special, concerning Goodfellas? Thousands of films have done the same exact thing, only much better. I have seen much stronger characters in other films, so I don't see your point.

How "popular" Shawshank was at the box office means nothing, nor how popular it is on IMDB or with critics. Most critics and most audiences are suckers for sentimentality and flimsy symbolism, wouldn't you say?
It’s hard for me to defend these films as I’m not passionate about any of them. There is however simple objective aspects of them (which for me) highlight their appeal. That’s kind of clear.

With goodfella’s is more the combination and number of strong characters than a leading run away one. It’s a whole dysfunctional family. There also so much emotive emphasis on bonding, family, extended family that there’s almost an audience seduction of loyalty. I don’t doubt for a second that it may have been done better. Goodfella’s was certainly the grandest of my generation. The comparison with Mean Streets was that the character was always more the apathetic loner drunk who didn’t have anything else to do.

The point I was making about Shawshank wasn’t really focused on the detail of the film but more its reception. It’s simple; all I ask is if a film is loved so much and by so many in what way can it be overrated? It’s clearly achieving some thing…

Well of course I should see more films since you don't agree on my critique on movies. As I said, the movie to me felt like a "soap opera". I know it wasn't and I know how Renoir tried to explore corrupt French aristocracy prior to WWII, but it just didn't appeal to me. It could be something about the French, and my inability to connect with them like I would with corrupt American/Canadian government, or so. I don't know too much about France and how their government worked.. at all.

WARNING: "Plot" spoilers below
It was quite interesting to see how just a single flaw (breaking the "Rules") in this upper-class French society can easily cause a tragedy in the end. For example, Robert was having an affair on Christine, with Geneviève. Lisette does not like Schumacher much at all (you can tell throughout the movie). Some unfortunate things that happen cause André's death, due to Schumacher mistaking Christine for Lisette, etc etc etc Overrated imo. The upper-class are definitely not a group of people you want to mess around with though. Definitely not.

About Shaw/Pulp/Good //> I did not call these movies masterpieces, but that I enjoyed them a lot. A masterpiece is Some Like It Hot, or Sunset Boulevard, and of course, The Godfather. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and there is no need to start bashing someone else's because they didn't agree with you. I was just quite surprised that you didn't like them, tis' all, Don.

It’s hard for me to defend these films as I’m not passionate about any of them. There is however simple objective aspects of them (which for me) highlight their appeal. That’s kind of clear.

With goodfella’s is more the combination and number of strong characters than a leading run away one. It’s a whole dysfunctional family. There also so much emotive emphasis on bonding, family, extended family that there’s almost an audience seduction of loyalty. I don’t doubt for a second that it may have been done better. Goodfella’s was certainly the grandest of my generation. The comparison with Mean Streets was that the character was always more the apathetic loner drunk who didn’t have anything else to do.

The point I was making about Shawshank wasn’t really focused on the detail of the film but more its reception. It’s simple; all I ask is if a film is loved so much and by so many in what way can it be overrated? It’s clearly achieving some thing…
Then what is your point about Goodfellas? As I've previously stated, many films have done these concepts much more thoroughly. Their appeal is a shallow love, its absolutely nothing more. Most mob films have the same concepts -- sure they aren't all exactly the same, but they all touch on similar concepts. There is nothing new here.

Because something has a large audience does not mean its of high quality. Plenty of people like really crappy action films, but that doesn't make them good. My point is: no one can really explain why they love Shawshank, they "just do". There are hundreds of films that are ten times better, but being ignored.

I'd say most of these films sucker their audiences into caring for these characters with cheap sentimentality, or they simply use faux-deep symbolism thats ultimately too flimsy. And I really don't think you should take my comment about "..seeing more films..." that seriously...