2021 Film Challenge

Tools    

Should get the main challenge (5 completed) done. That Dogme and Sundance are dragging me though. Also need to find a good 80's coming of age and 70's apocalyptic movie. Nightmare? Not gonna come close. Have only completed 2 (Foreign and Horror) so far
Have you seen A Boy and His Dog? I ended up watching Idaho Transfer, and while it wasn't great, it was interesting and I'd recommend it.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
For Hitchcock I will also throw in Notorious, probably my favorite of his films behind Psycho. My third favorite of his is probably The 39 Steps. Shadow of a Doubt is excellent. I will also strongly second Lifeboat and The Lady Vanishes.
Yes, Notorious IS quite excellent! Grant and Bergman and OHHH that ending!!

The trick is not minding
The Omega Man for post apocalypse.

For coming of age 80’s, I’d mention the following, although it’s likely you’ve seen them already: Stand By Me, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Lucas and Say Anything.

Have you seen A Boy and His Dog? I ended up watching Idaho Transfer, and while it wasn't great, it was interesting and I'd recommend it.
A Boy and His Dog I have seen. Idaho Transfer looks interesting. If I can find it I'll give it a go.

The Omega Man for post apocalypse.

For coming of age 80’s, I’d mention the following, although it’s likely you’ve seen them already: Stand By Me, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink, Lucas and Say Anything.
Omega Man is the one I've been looking/waiting for but haven't been able to find it on any of my streaming stuff.

The others I have seen. That's why this one is so tough. The 80's were my movie watching decade. Cable tv and VCR's? Come on! Not much got past me especially stuff geared towards a younger audience (and...*cough* showtimeafterhours), which is why I may have to look for foreign films for this category.

A Boy and His Dog I have seen. Idaho Transfer looks interesting. If I can find it I'll give it a go.
Yeah, I was also hoping to watch Omega Man, but it's not streaming anywhere. I believe I watched Idaho Transfer on Tubi.

The coming of age thing is tricky.

For sort of a horror coming of age, have you seen Society?

I imagine you've seen River's Edge, Another Country, My Bodyguard, Suburbia.

The trick is not minding
Update! 10/5!
Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Omega Man is the one I've been looking/waiting for but haven't been able to find it on any of my streaming stuff.

The others I have seen. That's why this one is so tough. The 80's were my movie watching decade. Cable tv and VCR's? Come on! Not much got past me especially stuff geared towards a younger audience (and...*cough* showtimeafterhours), which is why I may have to look for foreign films for this category.
That's exactly what I had to do to locate this one. Haven't watched it yet, but it looks really good.
4. 1980s Coming-of-age film The Year My Voice Broke (1987)
5. 1990s Courtroom Drama [url="https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107207/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1"]

I sent you a link in comments for Omega Man. I have Andromeda Strain for the Apocalyptic but after locating OM, I think I might go with that instead.

Great lists of films, Wylde! I'll probably post my full list tonight

The trick is not minding
Yah. This is so much fun. I decided to go with sub genres over genres, without breaking the spirit of the rule, and it’s been much more enjoyable.
Kaiju this year, Giallo planned for next year.
6 for normal mode, 21 for nightmare. Already looking forward to next years challenge

Here's where I'm at. Haven't started my chosen Director, Fritz Lang though I do have a large chunk of films lined up. The same goes with the very first challenge: Get Lost in the Movement. I have two completed Challenges in the Main Challenge and doing pretty well on the rest.

This has been a really Top Echelon of amazing films this year and this has added to that so beautifully.

Watchlist films
Viewed films

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  
[/quote]

Here’s looking at you, kid.
Updated: 10/6
Total: 137/162 (25 to go)
40/52
“Normal Mode”  

97/110
Nightmare Mode  

So I need a Horror->Gore film. One problem I'm having is I'm never 100% sure what qualifies? Like, I wouldn't consider Texas Chain Saw Massacre particularly gory. And I'm trying to find something new, so the Hostel movies (which I would definitely consider in the gore category (ho ho)) are out. And I'd like to watch something that's good or at least interestingly bad. So I'm welcoming recommendations, especially on Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, or Criterion. I'll consider Kino Cult but the second an ad shows up I'm out.

So I need a Horror->Gore film. One problem I'm having is I'm never 100% sure what qualifies? Like, I wouldn't consider Texas Chain Saw Massacre particularly gory. And I'm trying to find something new, so the Hostel movies (which I would definitely consider in the gore category (ho ho)) are out. And I'd like to watch something that's good or at least interestingly bad. So I'm welcoming recommendations, especially on Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix, or Criterion. I'll consider Kino Cult but the second an ad shows up I'm out.
Psycho Goreman?

Possessor on Hulu is pretty gross. Directed by Cronenberg Jr.

Psycho Goreman feels a little on the nose. Not that I have a problem with that. I'm not expecting subtlety here.

I do note that Possessor has Andrea Riseborough, which is always a plus. That's where I'm leaning atm but I welcome further suggestions.

Thanks, folks!

Psycho Goreman feels a little on the nose. Not that I have a problem with that. I'm not expecting subtlety here.

I do note that Possessor has Andrea Riseborough, which is always a plus. That's where I'm leaning atm but I welcome further suggestions.

Thanks, folks!
Possessor is the far superior film. Psycho Goreman is more actually "gory".

I can't weigh in on Possessor since I'm not watching it until the end of the month but I'm guessing that's your best bet. Martyrs is another movie I haven't seen but has the reputation of being good.
Other than that, IDK, assuming you've seen all the American classics I can think of (Cronenberg, The Thing), maybe one of Fulci's movies you haven't seen (Zombie, City of the Living Dead, The Beyond, House by the Cemetery), though they can be an acquired taste.

Actually, and maybe this is the sort of thing I shouldn't admit here, I've never seen a single Fulci film. But I should! And if they qualify for this category, so much the better. But the critical question is, are any of them conveniently streaming?