Promotion For MovieForums Top 100 Horror Films

Tools    

Or I am remaining steady on the genre that the List is about.

It shouldn't be a game of, "I don't like Horror movies, so let's see how many not really Horror movies I can get on this."
I think your input should only come into play if something isn't listed as horror but is borderline.

Again, if other people don't consider a particular movie as horror, despite it being listed as such by other sources, then they can choose to not vote for it. This isn't a list of the top horror movies as decided by the horror fans on MoFo, this is the top horror movies as decided by all of MoFo.

Instead of quibbling over genre I think it would be better to frame horror in aged periods of time (and this is good for all genre)

Classic (1920-1959)
Golden (1960-1990)
Modern (1991-2018)

Because really knocking out

Gremlins
Aliens
Silence of the Lambs
Seven
Psycho
Sixth Sense
etc.
Just seems silly to me
We're not counting Psycho?
Based purely on the IMDb tags, here's how the on-the-edge films mentioned so far in here shake out:

Horror:
Tucker and Dale vs Evil
Shaun of the Dead
Kill List
Alien
The Thing
Psycho
Army of Darkness
Bubba Ho-Tep
Sleepy Hollow
G̶r̶e̶m̶l̶i̶n̶s̶
Fido
The Fly
Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Not Horror:
A̶l̶i̶e̶n̶s̶
T̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶i̶x̶t̶h̶ ̶S̶e̶n̶s̶e̶
G̶h̶o̶s̶t̶b̶u̶s̶t̶e̶r̶s̶
J̶a̶w̶s̶
T̶h̶e̶ ̶S̶i̶l̶e̶n̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶L̶a̶m̶b̶s̶
Pyscho was not excluded.

Let me state it again, all an exercise in protecting credibility for a more sincere Final product.

Need some suggestions tbh... my Horror taste tends to lean toward sci-fi horror, comedy horror, and psychological horror.
Any new suggestions?

So far I've got... in alphabetical order:
A Quiet Place (2018)
Alien (1979)
The Babadook (2014)
The Cabin In The Woods (2012)
Candyman (1992)
Carrie (1976)
The Exorcist (1973)
The Fly (1986)
The Grey (2011) - Eligible?
Hellraiser (1987)
Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (1978)
Misery (1990)
The Mist (2007)
Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
Poltergeist (1982)
Psycho (1960)
Slither (2006)
The Shining (1980)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
They Live (1988) - Eligible?
The Thing (1982)
Tremors (1990)
Wolf Creek (2005)
Zombieland (2009)
These might interest you...

The Signal
Triangle
Honeymoon
Resolution
The Wild Hunt
Housebound
Tucker & Dale vs Evil
The Final Girls
They Look Like People
The Similars

I'm trying to mix mine up a bit and vote for stuff I don't normally talk about like The Thing, The Fly, Alien and The Shining.

Still probably going to ending up heavy on the Classics though.

The truth is in here
Jaws
Tough but for me it's a no. It's a big shark, a monster, but Kong is a monster too.
Most shark movies are flat-out comedies! It's a dangerous shark on the loose, people get killed (including the fairly creepy opening scene), there's horror esque music and there's blood. It's definitely a horror movie, even tame horror movies count.

Jaws is more horror than Psycho as well, which you counted.

My ballot's going to be non-existent if its content is dictated by one person's notion of "credibility."

I'm still waiting on a clear definition of the difference between the "horror" movie Fido and the "non-horror" movie Gremlins.

The truth is in here
Gremlins is family horror. Not too scary and something a wider audience can enjoy, but still employs the classic horror comedy elements.

Gremlins is family horror. Not too scary and something a wider audience can enjoy, but still employs the classic horror comedy elements.
I agree, but our chosen host Nostromo does not. If he bars movies that are listed as horror by other sources I will not be participating.

I think we do need to go by what has been tagged and labelled on IMDb and Wiki tbh.
If it's got the tag, then it's eligible.

I'd love to see Jaws make the list, and Gremlins too.
If they don't make it through lack of votes, then ok... but not making the list because they're deemed as not eligible, it'd be pretty sad.

Jaws and Gremlins made the old horror list.

I think your input should only come into play if something isn't listed as horror but is borderline.

Again, if other people don't consider a particular movie as horror, despite it being listed as such by other sources, then they can choose to not vote for it. This isn't a list of the top horror movies as decided by the horror fans on MoFo, this is the top horror movies as decided by all of MoFo.
This is what the conference/discussion will come down to, between horror fans and more general movie fans. And striking a balance between the two. I don't want to shut out movie fans who want to participate, and I also want to honor the genre the right way too.

I will have to get back to it, heading to work now.

The current film in question as to whether or not it is horror is Gremlins (1984).

Most shark movies are flat-out comedies! It's a dangerous shark on the loose, people get killed (including the fairly creepy opening scene), there's horror esque music and there's blood. It's definitely a horror movie, even tame horror movies count.

Jaws is more horror than Psycho as well, which you counted.
I understand the argument for Jaws, but if it were definitely horror, wouldn't IMDb or Wiki at least list it as part horror?

I think we do need to go by what has been tagged and labelled on IMDb and Wiki tbh.
If it's got the tag, then it's eligible.

I'd love to see Jaws make the list, and Gremlins too.
If they don't make it through lack of votes, then ok... but not making the list because they're deemed as not eligible, it'd be pretty sad.

Jaws and Gremlins made the old horror list.

Quoting myself so I can add something:

I'd love to vote for The Grey... but, in IMDb and Wiki, it's not classed under Horror. It's drama, adventure, survival and action.

So, going by IMDb and Wiki, I would actually be discrediting one of my own choices, and I'd be happy to do this based on established sources.

But dis-counting any movies that are tagged as Horror isn't the way to go.

This is what the conference/discussion will come down to, between horror fans and more general movie fans.
So are we going to have to discuss every movie that isn't tagged solely as horror? That's ridiculous.

Gremlins is horror. Disagree? Don't vote for it.

For me, the difference between Gremlins and those other horror comedies is tone and style, very important in horror IMO.
So what is the difference between the tone and style of Gremlins vs. that of Fido?

This is not a clear definition. You can use vague terms like that for compiling your personal list, but it doesn't work for a collaborative process.

The truth is in here
Yeah, I don't think debating how scary a movie is or isn't will solve anything. Then I might as well say Feardotcom doesn't count. It's not the least bit scary and it sucks, but it's still categorically horror.

Gremlins is definitely horror.
It's even tagged as horror.

At time of release, Gremlins also caused the MPAA to create the PG13 age rating because of its content... and multiple press outlets, and the studio themselves, were issuing warnings not to take children to see it.