Memento

→ in
Tools    

I've said my bit.
I think it was a normal story told in an interesting way, well told, but alas, basically a same-old-same-old story with a gimmick. But I did enjoy it, and I loved the atmosphere, the performance of Pearce and the closing line. I feel I should like it more. I want to love it. I want to hate it. It's grating at me. I should see it again.

PS:
Spudly, I changed my post so it makes more sense. I'm not sure if you think I was talking to you or not....

Female assassin extraordinaire.
what's the closing line? it's been so long i can't even remember.

"Now. Where was I?"

They way it's delivered, and the cut after it are simply brilliant.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
I preferred L'Apartment's use of structure.

Was Teddy really a cop? If yes, then Leonard is nutcase. If no, then Leonard is OK. If he is a rotten cop, moebius strip.

Yes, Teddy is a cop.

Basically everything Teddy says at the end, his explanation to Leonard, is the truth. Faced with that realization, Leonard opts to keep a mystery to solve by writing down Teddy's license plate as a John G. "fact" to add to his tattoo collection. This is why Lenny kills Teddy in the 'beginning' of Memento.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The death of John G. is Leonard's escape. But of course, he's already killed John G. he just doesn't remember it. He knows that he will soon forget everything that Teddy has told him, and he makes a choice -- Teddy will be his release. He will write down some stuff that points to Teddy, but not what Teddy has told him, and then he will kill him, and take a picture.

Rock God
it's been so so so SO long since i've visited this thread, and i don't have the time or energy to read what i've missed. (natural born slacker that i am ) but i really just wanted to post and see how you guys felt about the best screenplay award.

do you think it has a chance? the writing and editing were two of my favorite things about this movie, and i wanna see it get it's props. i'm guessing it WON'T win the much deserved best picture, though, because it wasn't nominated.

Firstly, I doubt it'd be getting the best picture award if it was nominated -- because it wasn't the best picture of the year...

However, I'm not sure it'll win the Best Screenplay award either. Perhaps it should, but at the same time, it's not that well written. It a linear story, that has been told backwards, and I mean that's cool, but after all the un-chronological films that have been thrown at us during the nineties, does it make it that special anymore?

I don't know. It may win it, but it may not.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
It should win for screenplay. If you have the DVD you can read the entire short story. Very twisted story as was the movie.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Rock God
i don't know why people make a big deal out of this movie being hard to understand. it's really not at all if you pay careful attention and rewatch it. it stands up well to repeat viewings, i think.

about the best screenplay: it would win if i had my way. this movie tried something drastically different and it worked real well. it changes the way you think about timing, plot structure, and rhythm. most people even take rhythm for granted when they watch movies. anything that makes you stop what you're doing and think should be given fair credit.

Well I kinda skimmed through this thread and didn't see what I was looking for.

The only question I've been carrying with me all this time is:

What is the significance of the scenes that are shot in black and white?

What do you mean exactly?

How are the black and white scenes in the present?

It's simple: the scenes in color have already happened. The ones in black and white are just happening at that moment...but that's irrelevant anyway. The black and white scenes are just to help us understand the "color story."

You obviously didn't watch the movie very well did you?

The Black and White scenes are moving forward like they should, while the Color scenes are going backwards.

WARNING: "Memento" spoilers below
Notice at the end, when he pulls up in his truck that he has on the clothes he was wearing in the Black and White scenes, when he kills the John G, the picture comes into color.

Does that make sense?

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by spudracer
You obviously didn't watch the movie very well did you?

Kent, I'm surprised at you...
That wasn't nice. I understood the movie...but this is the first time I've heard this "Black and White/Color" theory...and of course, you probably got the idea off the DVD. Some of us haven't seen the DVD yet. I saw it twice at the theaters...but just haven't gotten around to all the goodies, like you have.

I know, but it's practically a gimme, some people concentrate so hard on not missing something that they go right over the obvious things.

Besides, people have been that snub with me before on such matters, why should this be any different.

OK. Right. That was one of my original theories, but it's been so long since I've seen the movie or thought about it that I forgot that I *did* develop that as an explanation. It does seem to make perfect sense.