Films you watch when you're down?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm quoting someone else from a social media film site...

"Does anyone else have a film they turn to when it is time to bear with unbearable sorrow?"

I wish I could say "comedy" films, but most in that genre are not good. I've never laughed at a comedy film (I have with docs), it's usually a tragic film with a sprinkle of humor.

I like sentimental films, and if I want a guarantee film, I usually watch a favorite movie of mine. Harry and Tonto, La Strada - I certainly wouldn't watch "They Shoot Horses, Don't They", but I don't mind watching a sad movie, some have hope, or enough humanity to make me smile or at least appreciate being able to watch a film physically as I am not blind or deaf, and enough mental capacity to understand. There are a lot of people I know who say they can't watch a film and don't, saying they can't stand still. THAT'S sad...

The good thing with something I already love is that I know what's going to happen, no surprises, it's guaranteed joy, and sometimes you discover something new. I also love to re-evaluate films as I feel I change a tiny bit with every film I watch.

There are a lot of "feel-good" emotional movies out there that provide the feelings that you described. A personal favorite of mine is Forrest Gump, because the story is undeniably charming and seeing the lead character succeed even though he has his own limitations is something that I always like to watch and appreciate.

If I'm looking to drastically change my mood from sadness to joy however, even though it is not a film, watching any episode of Two and a Half Men with Charlie Sheen in it makes my day. Maybe it's just the fact that I have personal memories with this show, as I used to watch it with my father when I was a bit younger, but I find it to be hilarious and these episodes really make my day.

Well you say you don't feel that way with Comedies, i think that is the only type of film that i can think of personally would work for me, if not pure Comedies then at least Comedy-Drama films for me. My Cousin Vinny, The Burbs, Midnight Run, Team America, etc, are films that never fail to cheer me up. I remember after i broke up with a girl i'd been with for slightly over a year (still my longest relationship) when i was 17 i watched My Cousin Vinny twice in a row, it definitely got me up and it is a big reason why it is one of my favourite films.

In this instance i personally feel TV Shows are better since you stay with the characters through more. My personal go-to would be Arrested Development since it is like a joke a second and i love all of the characters.

Also hope this is just a general question and you aren't actually feeling down right now

When I'm feeling down I usually watch one of my Pro Wrestling tapes, usually one that I attended live. I don't really know why but that seems to work for me...

When it comes to movies though, I like to watch one that is a laid back, care free, feel good movie that I can get lost in for awhile. Ones that are like that for me are Office Space, My Neighbor Totoro, and The Princess Bride. Also the LotR trilogy.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm not feeling down, but thanks! I mentioned in the first post I read it on a "classic film" group online. So I stole her question out of curiosity.

Some people consider "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" funny, but it won't be considered a comedy. Nor would "Mikey and Nicky" or "Harry and Tonto". My main love of comedy is standup.

I don't turn to movies when I'm down.
Alcohol works much faster and better.

Blissfully Oblivious
Almost as good as cocaine

EDIT: But seriously, a good action or comedy usually gets me out of a rut. Love Actually is one of my favorites.

Almost as good as cocaine

EDIT: But seriously, a good action or comedy usually gets me out of a rut. Love Actually is one of my favorites.
Love actually is also one of my favourites.

EDIT: But seriously I'd rather have the cocaine.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'd watch something fun, that I didn't have to work too hard to enjoy. Something with action or romance. Last time I was feeling under the weather I watched Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and that cheered me up.

Thank godess for Coupling on BBC! Watching it is what I do ... when I'm feeling blue. The woman on the left is Sally Harper, played by the very lovely Kate Isitt. She's absolutely adorable with her insecurity and easily my favorite character on the show.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
If I'm feeling down I usually don't watch any movie. Just listen to the the loudest heavy metal possible, it usually works!

I don't know if I go for anything in particular. However, there is something very comforting about watching The Good Life sometimes and the Christmas episode is a must at some point in the days coming up to Christmas.

A Mel Brooks movie will always cheer me up as well Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy and This is Spinal Tap. As for television, a rerun of Roseanne, Will & Grace, or Seinfeld will always put a smile on my face.

All is lost

Even though this is kind of a depressing movie for some, the ending really lifts up, since it means: "whatever you may have lost now, there is always a way to get out of it and you can and will always get help" the question is: will you grab the saving hand, or let yourself drown since you've lost it all?