Quote of the Day

Tools    

"The worst thing about television is that everybody you see on television is doing something better than what you're doing. You never see anybody on TV just sliding off the front of the sofa, with potato chip crumbs all over their shirt."

~ Jerry Seinfeld

It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip 'em the bird.

Behind every successful man is a surprised woman. - Maryon Pearson

Son, if you really want something in this life, you have to work for it. Now quiet! They're about to announce the lottery numbers. - Homer Simpson
I don't know.
Is it Captain Howdy?

I told the doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to quit going to those places. - Henny Youngman

Welcome to the human race...
It takes 72 muscles to frown, 14 muscles to smile...and absolutely none to be apathetic.

I am half agony, half hope.
"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

~Tom Snyder

Johann von Goethe

It's always difficult to keep personal prejudice out of a thing like this.
And wherever you run into it, prejudice always obscures the truth.
I don't really know what the truth is. I don't suppose anybody will
ever really know. Nine of us now seem to feel that the defendant
is innocent, but we're just gambling on probabilities - we may be
wrong. We may be trying to let a guilty man go free, I don't know.
Nobody really can. But we have a reasonable doubt, and that's
something that's very valuable in our system. No jury can declare
a man guilty unless it's SURE. We nine can't understand how you
three are still so sure. Maybe you can tell us.

~ Juror #8 (Henry Fonda) ~
12 Angry Men

I'll be all around in the dark - I'll be everywhere.
Wherever you can look - wherever there's a fight,
so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever
there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be
in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in
the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they
know supper's ready, and when the people are
eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the
houses they build - I'll be there, too.

~ Tom Joad (Henry Fonda) ~
The Grapes of Wrath

For me, college wasn't a breeze. I had 8 o'clock classes,
I worked from 3 to 11 at the Settlement House. On
weekends, if Northwestern Bell needed me, I'd
troubleshoot for them, and I had a steady girl.
God!

I've been close to Bette Davis for thirty-eight years -
and I have the cigarette burns to prove it.

Henry Fonda
(b. 16 May 1905)

Happy Birthday

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I can't even find someone for a platonic relationship, much less the kind where someone wants to see me naked.

Gilbert Gottfried

Dachshunds Fear Me
"I want, of course, peace, grace, and beauty. How do you do that? You work for it."

"I always love to quote Albert Einstein because nobody dares contradict him."

"People are ready to say, 'Yes, we are ready for single-payer health insurance.' We are the only industrialized country in the world that does not have national health insurance. We are the richest in wealth and the poorest in health of all the industrial nations."

"That's what we're missing. We're missing argument. We're missing debate. We're missing colloquy. We're missing all sorts of things. Instead, we're accepting."

"We use the word 'hope' perhaps more often than any other word in the vocabulary: 'I hope it's a nice day.' 'Hopefully, you're doing well.' 'So how are things going along? Pretty good. Going to be good tomorrow? Hope so.'"

Studs Terkel, b. May 16, 1912

George: Arthur.

"Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and try to follow where they lead."

~Louisa May Alcott

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants. A. Whitney Brown

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Welcome to the human race...
I wish I loved the human race,
I wish I loved its silly face,
I wish I loved the way it walks,
I wish I loved the way it talks,
And when I'm introduced to one,
I wish I though "What jolly fun!"

- Sir Walter Raleigh

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
How calmly does the olive branch
observe the sky begin to blanch:
without a cry, without a prayer;
with no betrayal of despair.

Sometime while light obscures the tree,
the zenith of its life will be:
gone, past, forever.
And from thence, a second history will commence:

a chronicle no longer gold,
of bargaining with mist and mold;
and finally the broken stem,
the plummeting to earth, and then

An intercourse not well designed
for beings of a golden kind
whose native green must arch above
the Earth's obscene, corrupting love.

And still the ripe fruit and the branch
observe the sky begin to blanch:
without a cry, without a prayer;
with no betrayal of despair.

Oh, courage! Could you not as well
select a second place to dwell?
Not only in that golden tree
but in the frightened heart of me?

- Tennessee Williams, The Night of the Iguana, spoken by Nonno

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.

Sir Winston Churchill

"a good deal of effort is usually follwed by a healthy amount of smugness."

...uh the post is up there...

Colour out of Time
A man famous for boxing a Cat

Erwin Rudolf Josef Alexander Schrödinger
12th August 1887 - 4th January 1961
Austrian/Irish Theoretical Physicist in the field of Quantum Mechanics
1933 Nobel Prize for Physics
Wiki
Erwin Rudolf Josef Alexander Schrödinger was an Austrian - Irish physicist who achieved fame for his contributions to quantum mechanics, especially the Schrödinger equation, for which he received the Nobel Prize in 1933. In 1935, he proposed the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment.

The Paradox of Schrödinger's Cat.

Schrodinger asked us to imagine a cat in a box. Completely at random - in Schrodinger's version, when a nucleus of a radioactive isotope decays - poisonous gas is released into the box that kills the cat. We cannot see inside, and we cannot know if the gas has been released. We do not if the cat, at any specific moment, is alive or dead. In the quantum world, the cat is both alive and dead simultaneously - but only while we can't see it. As soon as we remove the lid of the box and observe the cat, the superposition of probabilities collapses into a single reality, and the cat is found to alive or dead.

"Nirvana is a state of pure blissful knowledge... It has nothing to do with the individual. The ego or its separation is an illusion. Indeed in a certain sense two "I"'s are identical namely when one disregards all special contents — their Karma. The goal of man is to preserve his Karma and to develop it further... when man dies his Karma lives and creates for itself another carrier."

"No self is of itself alone. It has a long chain of intellectual ancestors. The "I" is chained to ancestry by many factors ... This is not mere allegory, but an eternal memory."

"Consciousness is never experienced in the plural, only in the singular. Not only has none of us ever experienced more than one consciousness, but there is also no trace of circumstantial evidence of this ever happening anywhere in the world. If I say that there cannot be more than one consciousness in the same mind, this seems a blunt tautology — we are quite unable to imagine the contrary..."

"Again, the mystics of many centuries, independently, yet in perfect harmony with each other (somewhat like the particles in an ideal gas) have described, each of them, the unique experience of his or her life in terms that can be condensed in the phrase: DEUS FACTUS SUM (I have become God)."

"Science cannot tell us a word about why music delights us, of why and how an old song can move us to tears."

"To Western ideology, the thought has remained a stranger... in spite of those true lovers who, as they look into each other's eyes, become aware that their thought and their joy are numerically one, not merely similar or identical..."

"Thus you can throw yourself flat on the ground, stretched out upon Mother Earth, with certain conviction that you are one with her and she with you ... For eternally and always there is only now, one and the same now; the present is the only thing that has no end."

"Matter and energy seem granular in structure, and so does 'life', but not so mind."

"Nature has no reverence towards life. Nature treats life as though it were the most valueless thing in the world.... Nature does not act by purposes."

"I am born into an environment — I know not whence I came nor whither I go nor who I am. This is my situation as yours, every single one of you. The fact that everyone always was in this same situation, and always will be, tells me nothing. Our burning question as to the whence and whither — all we can ourselves observe about it is the present environment. That is why we are eager to find out about it as much as we can. That is science, learning, knowledge; it is the true source of every spiritual endeavour of man. We try to find out as much as we can about the spatial and temporal surroundings of the place in which we find ourselves put by birth…"

"I consider it extremely doubtful whether the happiness of the human race has been enhanced by the technical and industrial developments that followed in the wake of rapidly progressing natural science."

"For a solitary animal egoism is a virtue that tends to preserve and improve the species: in any kind of community it becomes a destructive vice."

"Quantum physics thus reveals a basic oneness of the universe."

"The scientist only imposes two things, namely truth and sincerity, imposes them upon himself and upon other scientists."

"What we observe as material bodies and forces are nothing but shapes and variations in the structure of space."

"If you cannot - in the long run - tell everyone what you have been doing, your doing has been worthless."

"Every man's world picture is and always remains a construct of his mind and cannot be proved to have any other existence."

"The idea of the continuum seems simple to us. We have somehow lost sight of the difficulties it implies...We are told such a number as square root of 2 worried Pythagoras and his school almost to exhaustion. Being used to such queer numbers from early childhood, we must be careful not to form a low idea of the mathematical intuition of these ancient sages, their worry was highly credible."

"The task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what no one has yet thought, about that which everybody sees."

“This life of yours, which you are living, is not merely a piece of this entire existence, but in a certain sense the ‘whole’; only this whole is not so constituted that it can be surveyed in one single glance."

The same stream of life
that runs through my veins
runs through the world
and dances in rhythmic measure.

It is the same life that shoots in joy
through the dust of the earth
into numberless blades of grass
and breaks into tumultuous waves
of leaves and flowers.

It is the same life
that is rocked in the ocean
cradle of birth and death
in ebb and flow.

I feel my limbs are made glorious
by the touch of this world of life
and my pride is from the life throb of ages
dancing in my blood this moment.

~ Rabindranath Tagore ~

The love of wilderness is more
than a hunger for what is always beyond reach;
it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth ...
the only home we shall ever know,
the only paradise we ever need --
if only we had the eyes to see.

~ Edward Abbey ~