Concert Tab

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Went to see Queensryche recently... They totally kicked ass.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Pogues are coming here in a few months. I will get tickets. Oh yes, I will get tickets.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by billdozer
Bad Religion was a wonderful ending to an amazing night.
Lucky you. I can't wait till they release their new album and go back on tour. Because I am so going to go see them!!
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Well, I said months ago that there are really only two bands I'd make a specific point to see in concert, and that I'd seen one of them in December. Well, tonight the other one's performing (for free, no less) at CMU. Needless to say, I'll be there.

Well, I came, I saw, and I Spooned.

Spoon was great, and the weather was fantastic. A little on the chilly side around the end of the night, but still comfortable. Great outdoor concert weather.

I got frontman Britt Daniel's autograph...didn't bring one of their albums with me, so my girlfriend ripped a page out of an art book she had with her. In short: three feet to my left, I have an autographed copy of Van Gogh's Portrait of Dr. Gachet.

They performed three songs from their new album, due out in July. I've uploaded one of them: give it a listen (right click and Save-as). It's live, and therefore a bit rough, but insanely catchy.

Bumping, because I want people to hear the file I posted.

Related: a friend of mine saw the lead singer in a bar about an hour after the show and shared some chips with him. Consequently, I hate her.

Related: a friend of mine saw the lead singer in a bar about an hour after the show and shared some chips with him. Consequently, I hate her.
You be careful envy can turn you green

interesting music

I am having a nervous breakdance
Built to Spill (KB - Malmö, Sweden)

Great gig!! The Iron Maiden of indie rock..... When a band plays 10 minutes songs with guitar masturbation divided on three guitars - and you're actually enjoying it - then they must be doing something right. The new songs were really good live.... Now I can't wait until I'm seeing Dinosaur Jr this summer. Long live the underground guitar heroes!!!

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

The Lemonheads (The Malmö Festival, Malmö, Sweden)

It instantly becomes pretty obvious that Even Dando doesn't give a rat's ass about this gig. He sings and plays sloppy, his voice sounds like he hasn't been singing for years and his guitar solos are close to embarrassing. He seems to be more interesting in his hair than the audience. Still, there's something moving about him, this 90's indie icon. And the songs are still wonderful gems which, if nothing else, bring back great memories. Because they (he) play them all: "The Great Big No", "Confetti", "Down About It", "It's a Shame About Ray", "Buddy", Hospital", "Ride With Me", "If I Could Talk I'd Tell You"... and more. And they play a couple of new songs and suddenly it seems like Evan and his two backup guys actually enjoy being on stage. And although Dando appears to be half asleep the audience is really enthusiastic and the man actually shapes up after a while. And the closing number of the original set, "Rudderless", is nothing less than amazing. Energic, electric, desperate. Then Dando comes back and performs a couple of songs on his own and now he really connects with the audience and it sounds great; the singing especially. And then when he plays the last track for the evening, "Outdoor Type", it finally arrives; the magic. With the hair on the back of my neck standing straight I think to myself: "Everything is forgiven, Evan..... You are a great singer songwriter...."

Was all set to see The Comas on the 20th, but after an address mixup and walking a few blocks in some light rain, I found out the show had been cancelled. D'oh.
Isn't it sweet when that happens.....

Hellmarch-a local band who does tributes of Disturbed,Drowning Pool and Deftones and they have a few song of their self,and they are friends of mine

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Reading Festival on Sunday, I saw:

Billy Talent - Canada's second best band. Pretty good. You would have thought they had been around for much longer than they have. Every one a good tune. In marked contrast with:

Fall Out Boy - lots of people don't like them anyway because they're emo, but by any standards this was a poor show. They came on ten minutes late, left ten minutes early, played 3 covers, one of which they didn't know the words to, and thought a fat bloke breaking a bottle over his head and then dancing around was quality entertainment. Lame.

Lost Prophets - I'm not so keen on their new stuff, but I saw them at Reading in 2004 and they do know how to get the crowd going with banter and encouraging people to jump and mosh to some tunes that deserve to be jumped to! Last Summer and Last Train were the stand outs from their set.

Nine Inch Nails - Understandably played a lot of new stuff, which does occasionally cross over into 'weird electronic noise' territory. I couldn't help thinking how amazing it would have been to see them when they were touring The Fragile in 2000. They didn't play anything from the Fragile, but did close with Head Like a Hole followed by Hurt, which was just amazing. Probably my second favourite live music moment after seeing Morrissey perform There Is a Light That Never Goes Out.

The Smashing Pumpkins - a nice blend of rock and more mellow moments, accompanied by the usual headliner light show. Did occasionally go a bit prog-rock, but mostly a good mix of the excellent new album with crowd favourites like Tonite, Tonite.

Away from the main stage I also saw Pull Tiger Tail who were good, and Sunshine Underground, who I've decided are not really my cup of tea after all. Sorry to have missed Gallows, but they clashed with NIN so there was no contest...

Put me in your pocket...
Keiko Matsui
I saw her last night at the RamsHead. I love, love, love her to pieces and it was great to see her in that atmosphere (more of an intimate dinner club than a huge stage). She was faaaabulous...as was the band. The crowd talked her into an encore that turned into two more songs.

After the show I got her autograph. I was like a star struck little kid. OMG...I talked to Keiko...she smiled her beautiful smile at me. I was so excited. She's aborable as well as talented and beautiful. It was a great evening.

METALLICA-there are no words to describe it amazing or unique won't be enough but it's my first time and we totally exploded I had so much energy in me as if I had a six pack of Red Bull,maybe it's because it's my first major concert trapped with so many people on that stadium and Metallica playing for you my chest hurt from shouting and I have a sore throat.Some of you who had seen them would say I've seen them twice or more times but remember your first what you felt,that's how I felt like yesterday F*****g Awesome

Saw Cat Power the other night -- just amazing. Words can't really describe how incredible she was.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any pictures, as they don't allow cameras in The Apollo. She did come into the audience, which was cool; but as I took out my phone to take a picture, one of the employees told me to put it away.

Oh well.

Welcome to the human race...
There's a concert tab? Wow.

Anyway, the last couple of concerts I went to...

Well, first up there was Neil Young playing a couple of weeks ago. The set was largely electric (with a handful of acoustic numbers in the middle) and seemed to favour Young's tendency to play long, loud instrumentals. Not like I can argue with that as I like his electric stuff.

I also saw David Byrne a couple of nights ago, performing "The Songs of David Byrne and Brian Eno", which covers two or three Talking Heads albums (specifically, Fear of Music and Remain in Light) plus a lot of Byrne's solo work, especially his newest album Everything That Happens Will Happen Today. I'm still trying to work out if this was more fun than seeing Neil Young, and I'm leaning towards "yes" because Byrne's song choices are by and large incredibly funky and enjoyable (as evidenced by the dozens of crowd members jumping out of their seats and rushing to the front to dance).

All in all, two very great concerts from two of my favourite musicians.