Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I thought the writing was pretty great. That's what set it apart for me. Between this and Nice Guys for funniest movie I have seen this year. No coincidence they are my two favorite thus far. Been a pretty shallow pool of good movies in my opinion.
The humor was a nice surprise, and I liked some of the dialogue, although I think it was some one-liners and asides more than anything meaningful about the story. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the good stuff was ad-libbed.

I've read that the director's cut is superior, but it's 4 1/2 hours.
It is more coherent. I agree that the second half drags it down a bit, but it's still one of my favorites.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
God's Country - 8/10

A little too much time spent on the work. There's nothing wrong learning about tractors, etc., but I loved knowing their life outside of work, or the struggles as a result...

I loved that Malle started this in the late 70's, and then revisited the people 6 years later in the mid-1980s. This time around, everyone was older, and though the wives were working, they worked harder for less, and more supply (cow's milk) drove down prices... They were all Republicans, but they felt that Reagan was an imbecile, but that as an actor, he was able to fool the people. The lawyer (and actor) said the greed would kill America.

He was right.

Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

I've never seen an episode of the TV show, although I have seen a couple of the earlier movies. Someone I was with must have wanted to see them. This movie was ok to watch during breakfast. There's nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell. It's just not very interesting to me.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Gone Girl
+

Vintage Fincher. Overwrought, perhaps a bit too smug for its own good, but damn entertaining overall.

great movie loved the animation clay lookin things and very emotional movie. better then finding dory but slightly less entertaining then zootopia for me

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Star Trek: First Contact (1996)

I've never seen an episode of the TV show, although I have seen a couple of the earlier movies. Someone I was with must have wanted to see them. This movie was ok to watch during breakfast. There's nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell. It's just not very interesting to me.

Maybe you have to be a Trekkie to really appreciate this movie? I think it's one of the best Star Trek movies, and I rarely hear any bad reviews of it.

Welcome to the human race...
One of my best friends is a Trekkie who doesn't like First Contact because it forgoes the TNG crew's typically cerebral adventures in favour of a high-concept action swashbuckler story (which was arguably done with much more conciseness in season 6's "Starship Mine" episode). I like it, but what do I know.

The Light Between Oceans -

About what I expected.

One of my best friends is a Trekkie who doesn't like First Contact because it forgoes the TNG crew's typically cerebral adventures in favour of a high-concept action swashbuckler story (which was arguably done with much more conciseness in season 6's "Starship Mine" episode). I like it, but what do I know.

I said "rarely". I didn't say "never".

Maybe you have to be a Trekkie to really appreciate this movie? I think it's one of the best Star Trek movies, and I rarely hear any bad reviews of it.
Think that is it. I felt the same as Cricket after Generations, which i know isn't thought of as one of the best but i'm pretty sure it isn't thought of as one of the worst either. I have seen some episodes of Star Trek but i'm not a fan so the movie didn't do much for me. It was fine otherwise.

Think that is it. I felt the same as Cricket after Generations, which i know isn't thought of as one of the best but i'm pretty sure it isn't thought of as one of the worst either. I have seen some episodes of Star Trek but i'm not a fan so the movie didn't do much for me. It was fine otherwise.

I think Generations is a very underrated movie. It's not quite as good as Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan or First Contact, but I'd put it up as high as Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home or Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Man of Steel (2013)

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
I Am Wrath (2016)

Nothing to write home about. The good guys had some limited acting skills and wit on their side, while the bad guys didn't. I'm just moving on from this experience...

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Labyrinth (1986)
+

Excellent! Just a great classic fantasy movie with no CGI. It was a pleasure to sit through this imaginative film.

Metropolis (1927)

I watched the 148 minute restored version, and I knew right from the start it was going to be great. It's grand in scale, has plenty of excitement, and I liked the story. Despite all the positives, it didn't reach the level of personal favorite, at least not after my first watch.