The Wire

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I second Carnivale. It's old, but great weirdness. And I will double-down on what Austruck said re: the last 5-minute ending. Once you get near the end, and something happens that feels like closure? Just hit the stop button and pretend there's not an addition 3-7 minutes of runtime. You will never thank us for this, because if you correctly heed our warnings, you will never know why you should. I can live with that knowing your experience will have been with closure, whereas AU, me, and perhaps millions of other viewers still to this day live in anxiety having only been teased of another season doorway that we were never allowed passage through.

I'm really not joking.
NO, HE IS NOT JOKING. If I could take back that last few minutes of viewing, I totally would. TOTALLY.

At least now ynwtf and I know you're not the least bit curious or tempted, right?

I've always looked at that scene as being humor or something that someone in the ghetto might say out of being lost for words.
It never struck me as something I'd be likely to hear anyone on the street ever say... more like something a writer wrote in order to make a statement, regardless of whether it fit the scene or not.
I understand your point, but apparently the story was based on a real story that David Simon heard during his times riding with cops around Baltimore.

Who Shot Snot?
Yes, and the scene where
WARNING: spoilers below
Omar survived jumping off a fourth story balcony was based on the true story of a guy surviving a sixth story jump,
but the writers still toned that down because they were afraid the audience would find that too implausible in the show, which is an implicit admission that you can't put something in a work of fiction just because it happened in real life... it has to fit into the world you're creating as well. And I agree with their decision to tone it down, too... I just wish they had done the same with the "This is America" line, and resisted the temptation to try to force such a statement into the first scene of the show, since they were able to resist it so often otherwise.

Not sure if you've seen it, but he was great in Generation Kill.
LOVE Generation Kill. Seen it many times. He was brilliant in it. Then he was in Treme, but his rôle was nothing special. Must look up what he’s done lately.

Oh crap. Now I'm wanting to rewatch Carnivale, but I have so much other stuff to watch. I remember being really pissed about HBO canceling that one.
Never could get into this show. Might not have even finished the pilot. Can’t remember.

Never could get into this show. Might not have even finished the pilot. Can’t remember.
Compared to the rest of this series' two seasons, that pilot was nothing to write home about. It does set up a lot of what follows, though, and so has its own importance as things progress.

Also, back to the original topic: I'm nearing the halfway point of season 2. Doesn't feel disjointed anymore, and I LOVED the scene that played back and forth between Daniels having told his wife about getting back in the game and Greggs telling her girlfriend the same thing. Nothing is said--the two scenes of them eating dinner and giving each other THE LOOK says it all. I burst out laughing as they kept going back and forth between the two couples.

Compared to the rest of this series' two seasons, that pilot was nothing to write home about. It does set up a lot of what follows, though, and so has its own importance as things progress.
My problem is if the pilot doesn’t grab me, adios! Unless I give it another shot which, fortunately, I did with The Shield and Gomorrah. Phew, almost lucked out on those too.

My problem is if the pilot doesn’t grab me, adios! Unless I give it another shot which, fortunately, I did with The Shield and Gomorrah. Phew, almost lucked out on those too.
Some of my now-favorite series did not grab me in the pilot... or even a few episodes after that. It was only due to people hounding me (mostly here at MoFo!) to keep going that led me to finally seeing the light.

I suspect this is what is finally happening with me and The Wire. I'm at that stage where I now find ways to squeeze in another episode or two each day, even when I should be working.

Duplicate Account (locked)
It never struck me as something I'd be likely to hear anyone on the street ever say... more like something a writer wrote in order to make a statement, regardless of whether it fit the scene or not.Yes, and the scene where
WARNING: spoilers below
Omar survived jumping off a fourth story balcony was based on the true story of a guy surviving a sixth story jump,
but the writers still toned that down because they were afraid the audience would find that too implausible in the show, which is an implicit admission that you can't put something in a work of fiction just because it happened in real life... it has to fit into the world you're creating as well. And I agree with their decision to tone it down, too... I just wish they had done the same with the "This is America" line, and resisted the temptation to try to force such a statement into the first scene of the show, since they were able to resist it so often otherwise.

I always felt the intro sequence was funny and enjoyable...I don't even know what "nolan-esque" means.

I always felt the intro sequence was funny and enjoyable...I don't even know what "nolan-esque" means.
It means that line reminds me of Christopher Nolan's writing style.

I didn't realize that actor Michael K. Williams (Omar) had died of an overdose back in September. I wasn't watching The Wire back then. So this news story this week was the first I'd heard of it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...cid=uxbndlbing

I didn't realize that actor Michael K. Williams (Omar) had died of an overdose back in September. I wasn't watching The Wire back then. So this news story this week was the first I'd heard of it.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...cid=uxbndlbing
IIRC, they just nabbed this week the 3 guys who sold him heroin/fentanyl. A neighbor of mine with whom I was friendly (though she was wacky) died this way. On her toilet.

IIRC, they just nabbed this week the 3 guys who sold him heroin/fentanyl. A neighbor of mine with whom I was friendly (though she was wacky) died this way. On her toilet.
Yeah, my link was to a recent article this week about the guys they arrested.

Ha ha haaaa!

Season 3, episode 10: That quick shot of...

WARNING: "S3 E10 spoiler" spoilers below
...Rawls in the gay bar! I snorted.

Question: I just finished season 3. It really felt as if they positioned the storylines in such a way that the entire series could have ended right there.

But there are two more seasons.

A lot of the storylines I was most invested in seem to have now come to logical conclusions. Will I remain invested in the remaining characters and storylines? No spoilery stuff, but for those of you who've seen all five seasons, did you have a similar reaction at the end of season 3? That it felt like a worthy ending? (Heck, I've watched too many series finales of other shows that weren't HALF as tidily wrapped up as season 3 of this show. )

Duplicate Account (locked)
Question: I just finished season 3. It really felt as if they positioned the storylines in such a way that the entire series could have ended right there.

A lot of the storylines I was most invested in seem to have now come to logical conclusions. Will I remain invested in the remaining characters and storylines? No spoilery stuff, but for those of you who've seen all five seasons, did you have a similar reaction at the end of season 3? That it felt like a worthy ending? (Heck, I've watched too many series finales of other shows that weren't HALF as tidily wrapped up as season 3 of this show. )

No I just wanted more and was kinda disappointed it ended at 5, but I realize it ended there for the best.

Season 3 was the one with school, correct?

No I just wanted more and was kinda disappointed it ended at 5, but I realize it ended there for the best.

Season 3 was the one with school, correct?
No, that's season 4, where I am now.

Season 3 involved Stringer trying to be a big real estate developer and the fallout between him and Barksdale. That season seemed to end most/all of the Barksdale story, with McNulty going back to beat work and Colvin leaving after the blowup over his street legalization. And it started the political campaign story of Carcetti.

And it's, arguably, the best one. Season 5 on the other hand....
I'm a few episodes into season 4. So far it doesn't feel like it'll be my favorite. I really liked the characters of Stringer Bell, and the Barksdales. But we'll see...

The show is great through & including the final season.

And it's, arguably, the best one. Season 5 on the other hand....
I loved season 5. My favorite season along with season 2.

But I loved the entire 5 seasons.