Uncensored video of Will Smith and Chris Rock at the Oscars

Tools    

There’s coming to your defense and then there’s having a temper tantrum/public meltdown. They are mutually exclusive.
They are not mutually exclusive. They are not one and the same, obviously. One is better without the other, yes, but I can understand a man having a meltdown because his wife is hurt and he may have inadvertently had something to do with that (as per comments above).

There’s coming to your defense and then there’s having a temper tantrum/public meltdown. They are mutually exclusive.
Entirely depends on the circumstances. Not saying it was appropriate here in the way it was done, but definitely not “mutually exclusive”. Women through the ages have been verbally & physically abused or worse. If someone comes to their defense kudos to him.

You ready? You look ready.
I really don’t feel like getting into this argument because Will and Jada are like the absolute worst example you could possibly use for this discussion. There hasn’t been any respect there in years. On either side. But damn did it make some great television

I really don’t feel like getting into this argument because Will and Jada are like the absolute worst example you could possibly use for this discussion. There hasn’t been any respect there in years. On either side. But damn did it make some great television
Yup, agreed on that.

“I mean, I’m very serious with my kids about them comprehending the intricacies of global finance.” – Will Smith

Shoulda thought of that sooner.

See, it's things like this that kinda make me support a public slapping. He did it for the lulz
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I've studied martial arts and there is a code that words should NEVER be met with physical force.
How about all those “non-descrimination” codes “progressive” societies have (enshrined in law, no less) that it is NEVER appropriate to make fun of physical differences, limitations, deformities? This is ultimately no different than openly making fun of overweight, or deaf, or autistic people. “Oh my GOD, look, she’s BALD!”.

Revolting.

Given the context of the setting (the Oscars being about movies) and their placement (Smiths being in the front row, and one of them up for an Oscar) the joke was tame. I tell you what wasn't tame and that's the jokes we didn't get to hear because Rock is a freaking professional. I mean, look at his face post-slap...he was fighting back them words.

"I'm at the Oscars. Gotta be cool. Can't make this man cry."

“So if you stay ready, you ain’t gotta get ready, and that is how I run my life.” – Will Smith

Given the context of the setting (the Oscars being about movies) and their placement (Smiths being in the front row, and one of them up for an Oscar) the joke was tame. I tell you what wasn't tame and that's the jokes we didn't get to hear because Rock is a freaking professional. I mean, look at his face post-slap...he was fighting back them words.

"I'm at the Oscars. Gotta be cool. Can't make this man cry."
I admit I am probably viewing this situation far too personally, but I think this is disgusting. Even the tone of the above. If it had been someone other than Smith, we could probably get some excellent freestyle slapping down Rock, but, alas, bad luck.

My usual disclaimer in that none of the points above are intended as personal/outside the debate etc etc.

How about all those “non-descrimibation” codes “progressive” societies have (enshrined in law, no less) that it is NEVER appropriate to make fun of physical differences, limitations, deformities? This is ultimately no different than openly making fun of overweight, or deaf, or autistic people. “Oh my GOD, look, she’s BALD!”.

Revolting.

Where is anyone applauding someone getting on stage and slapping any comedian?

If Marlee Matlin went up on stage and slapped Rock after he (hypothetically) made a deaf joke, it would still be wrong. And if some in the deaf community said it was justified, they would be just as wrong as anyone who thinks this situation was okay.

Hitting someone over a joke, even if it is in a situation which would be somewhat sympathetic (ie. Captain Terror making mention of the child he knows who wears a wig), it would be wrong. Even if we can empathize with the anger that caused the violence, it's wrong. Flat out. And it is just all the more glaringly so when it is Will Smith at a ****ing awards ceremony. And who then gets to proceed to sit in an audience to collect his award and not even be asked to leave.

How about all those “non-descrimibation” codes “progressive” societies have (enshrined in law, no less) that it is NEVER appropriate to make fun of physical differences, limitations, deformities? This is ultimately no different than openly making fun of overweight, or deaf, or autistic people. “Oh my GOD, look, she’s BALD!”.

Revolting.
As far as the law - it is illegal to assault someone over words. Banning speech (or saying it's acceptable to defend against inappropriate speech by using physical aggression) is NOT enshrined in law - just the opposite.

You can SAY anything back to those that offend you verbally even if it's considered as socially heinous as what they said to you, but once you get physical you've crossed the line between social mores and the law.

Words deemed socially inappropriate are still protected under the law - the first amendment.

Martial arts codes that say you never respond with physical aggression to words also happens to be a code that is compliant with the law.

To be clear, members the Academy and users of Movie Forums do NOT condone the use of violence.

If Marlee Matlin went up on stage and slapped Rock after he (hypothetically) made a deaf joke, it would still be wrong. And if some in the deaf community said it was justified, they would be just as wrong as anyone who thinks this situation was okay.

Hitting someone over a joke, even if it is in a situation which would be somewhat sympathetic (ie. Captain Terror making mention of the child he knows who wears a wig), it would be wrong. Even if we can empathize with the anger that caused the violence, it's wrong. Flat out. And it is just all the more glaringly so when it is Will Smith at a ****ing awards ceremony. And who then gets to proceed to sit in an audience to collect his award and not even be asked to leave.
That’s your view, fine, well, I respectfully disagree. Not to mention that it seems a bit haughty to use terms such as “right” or “wrong” here with such absolutism. Little is inherently right or wrong imo outside murder etc. Anyway, I understand we are not going to agree on this and that nothing much can be done to convince each other. I’ve re-read your post above, and to me, in this context, “wrong” doesn’t even mean much. It is entirely relative and certainly none more “wrong” than the joke itself.