Arthouse Mafia

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Look out for a cameo appearance by one of the United States' finest film critics, Jonathan Rosenbaum, in the movie!

You're in, Zotis!

Now it's time for your initiation. Tear your clothes apart and bow before the Arthouse Gods! It's time to embrace the power of film!
I never liked my clothes anyway. They're so restricting. But now I'm cold because I'm in Canada...

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look out for a cameo appearance by one of the United States' finest film critics, Jonathan Rosenbaum, in the movie!
Cool trivia.
I never liked my clothes anyway. They're so restricting. But now I'm cold because I'm in Canada...
It's kinda cold in Poland, too. Rubbing your body helps it to keep warm! It's pretty kinky, too!
I'll watch that movie too.
As you wish.

It's okay, I'm indoors now with heating. But it sure was awkward riding the subway with everyone staring at me.

I'm really looking forward to Four Nights of a Dreamer. I've been wanting to watch Bresson. All his films look so amazing.

Does anyone know where I can find this film to stream? I tried Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix..

Be a freak, like me too
I think I've got it, I can send it by wetransfer.

The torrent available publicly is a weak VHS rip. There's no other source, but I think there's a better looking RIP on private torrents.

I think I've got it, I can send it by wetransfer.
No clue what this is...

and I am not going to torrent.... Google Fiber catches your a$$ easily.

Based on Dostoyevsky's short story White Nights, the movie struck me profoundly and is, I believe, the greatest work of Robert Bresson. I still have to see his other Dostoyevsky adaptation A Gentle Woman as well as his pre-Diary of a Country Priest works, but if any of these turn out better than this, I'd be really surprised. I rewatched Diary of a Country Priest just a week ago and seeing Four Nights of a Dreamer now I can tell these films feel very different. It for sure is not Bresson known for Mouchette, Baltazar or Pickpocket. Out of his works I've seen, this film resembles The Devil, Probably the most, which interestingly enough used to be my favourite Bresson until I've seen Four Night of a Dreamer,

I am a total troglodyte when it comes to reading and the only Dostoyevsky book I've read was Crime and Punishment (which is probably the only reading I really liked in high school), so it should be quite obvious I don't know the story portrayed in the film, which should help the movie make me experience it for the first time, but the tricky part is that even though I may be ignorant of books, I am quite experienced with films and I happened to watch a film with the same story in it. No, it's not Visconti's film, which I've yet to see. It's a Korean 4-hour long masterful work Cafe Noir. Back then, when I was watching that Asian film, I thought that story was only inspired by Dostoyevsky, not stolen (well, adapted, but there's more happening in the film than just that) from him. Well, the point is, I knew what is going to happen. More or less, that is, because it's more about feelings, that story is, for me. When the film started resembling the Korean film I'd already known Bresson's movie is based on Dostoyevky's short story and I started rememembering the story itself, from the Korean film and at the same time watching it again adapted by Bresson. From this moment on I was hit with a very weird feeling of nostalgia (even though I watched Cafe Noir only half a year ago) and since I knew what is going to happen story-wise (what a great story, though, I don't know why I love it so much) I especially focused on the way Bresson tells it. But let's get back a little bit.

The copy of the movie available publicly is of terrible quality. The hard-coded subtitles are at times impossible to read. I started watching this version on my 40'' TV and gave up after 15 minutes. I had to 'obtain' a better quality version not available publicly. After I did it (and in the mean-time I watched Pink Narcissus - a total eye-candy, though at times very dirty, i.e. with a scene of a penis shooting sperm straight into the screen, as if it wanted to make the viewer pregnant. It's gay, too. Anyway, back to what I was going to say...) I started from the point I left off and with a better quality print I could enjoy the film (at least could read those subtitles).

The movie has some comedy elements in the first half. Well, it's not your average laugh-out-loud comedy, but certain things are funny, as in, almost farcical. For example, the scene with an art school collegue of the main protagonist, who keeps rambling some pseudo-intellectual nonsense about art and then shows his 'work of art'. Or the elevator scene. Or the scene with the protagonist following a girl only to see another, hotter one, and start following her instead. However, after that no comedy is found anymore (or maybe it's my poor sense of humour) and there's only sadness. There of course is a moment of happiness, but then it is brutally destroyed by even more sadness.

Above all, the film is a great portrayal of loneliness and search for the true, platonic love. It's almost as if Jacques, the protagonist, became a prisoner of love. I love how both this love and sadness are portrayed by the scenes with him recording his own voice and then playing it over and over. The scene in the park is very eloquent, too (and without words!). The story aside, the mood that Bresson creates in those scenes with the two walking down by the river is impeccable. It's kinda hard to put into words why exactly this film is so great (I have it with every second arthouse film, really, but huuuuushhhh), but it simply is. I think I may even break my Troglodyte Oath of Stupidness and read the short story, it's only 50 pages, anyway.

And that conludes my insights about the movie,or more like waffling about it - hmmmm i like me some waffles.

(and in the mean-time I watched Pink Narcissus - a total eye-candy, though at times very dirty, i.e. with a scene of a penis shooting sperm straight into the screen, as if it wanted to make the viewer pregnant).
so now we know what movie Gaspar Noe ripped off for that scene in Love

Four Nights of a Dreamer (1971)

An adaptation of Dostoyevsky's White Nights, Robert Bresson's 1971 film is an exploration of romantic love, of a couple's chance encounter and the advance of their parallel obsessions over four successive nights. Bresson reveals an unexpected sense of humor, deeply felt and poignant meditation on love, loss and the human condition. A very beautiful and essential film with great soundtracks

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Be a freak, like me too
Hey! I'm here to repent my sins

Nickname : Senso_68
Reason : I'm the Godmother of this Mafia since a very long time (but it's a secret).
About : You already know all my life of film buff and my tastes, Minio
Boolean : Mmmhhh... Yes
If : Both. I am cerebral and I like intellectual pleasures!

Reason : I'm the Godmother of this Mafia since a very long time (but it's a secret).
Kinky!

You're in! Take your oath!

There is a lot of people who have watched more than Kurosawa and Miayazaki from Japan here. I think that Sane has watched many hundreds of live action Japanese flms, although he is not posting anymore.