Review by Tacitus...

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Well, it turns out that this is going to be on Australian TV tonight (11:40pm local time) so I'll try and give it a watch.

EDIT: Okay, so it just finished a few minutes ago. I thought it was a decent watch, probably worth about
, maybe
. Not too sure exactly how good I reckon the film is, but I reckon it was an interesting watch. Quite amused at the fact that they actually had to subtitle a large chunk of the English dialogue in it.

Random observation - also reminded me a lot of Gummo (the movie, not the MoFo) for some reason. They both have a similar feel about them, but I guess all these zero-budget realistic-as-hell movies feel the same. I don't know.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Nice one.

Interesting about the subtitles too (my DVD has English subs, but they're the normal 100% 'hard of hearing' selectible ones), did you find yourself needing to use them?

I find that happens quite a lot on TV over here with English speakers who have a strong accent - Jamacia, India, possibly even Indegenous Australians (I say 'possibly' because I'm sure I saw a recent(ish) documentary which had subs when the Aboriginal folk were speaking but not the white Aussies). Personally I find it bloody annoying and not a little patronising...

Then again, I'm pretty sure that The Committments was shown in some areas partly subtitled and the language in that was nowhere near as dense as in Pavee Lackeen.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, I needed subtitles for The Commitments. Probably wouldn't need them if I watched it now, though.

During the first third of the film I actually thought they were seguing into a different language cos I couldn't understand it. Didn't happen so much later on, maybe because I'd gotten used to it after the first 30 minutes.