I'm Becoming a Fabulous Atheist

Tools    

Originally Posted by Yoda
I don't grant the premise that "most" atheists are the way you say, or that they "usually" got that way by studying religion. Some certainly have. Many have not. Frankly, I'm stunned by the shallowness of most of the arguments I hear. And, forgive me for being blunt, but this entire thread appears to exist because of romantic turbulance more than philosophical rigor.
Just so you know ~ I've got you. You're kind of saying that I'm a silly atheist who became that way because of romantic problems and not because I've studied religion or been all philosophical.

The truth is I've been studying and thinking philosophically for years and years. Now I can't tell you everything I've learned, but, PHILOSOPHICALLY... philosophically my conclusions came mostly from truths about the world.

I just don't really wanna go into them right now. It's hard for me to debate, I guess. I also have a headache. Plus, this thread is now even more absurd, thanks to me. Care to comment about James Randi's sex appeal?

Originally Posted by Iroquois
Sorry, I don't mean to frustrate the heterosexuals. Here's some cleavage to look at.

Welcome to the human race...
I thought it was more of a stunned look. It doesn't convey frustration to me. Frustration is more like .

Originally Posted by Iroquois
I thought it was more of a stunned look. It doesn't convey frustration to me. Frustration is more like .
That would make me think you'd want me to delete my post. That's anger to me.

Anyway, *ding dong*, it's Jennifer Tilly.

Welcome to the human race...
Well, smileys are complicated things I guess.

And pictures of Tilly aren't going to work on me for a number of reasons (tired, distracted, "frustrated", etc etc etc)

No, you got it all wrong. The point I'm making is that someone who doesn't believe thinks they have the right answer. The whole point in trying to convert someone isn't for their sake, but for the person who's doing the converting. There's no real motive other than belittling the person, or getting some satisfaction in "being right." Both sides are, IMO, a bit arrogant when it comes to the whole argument (claiming to have the right answer).
Now this I agree with. Problem with emails is that it's easy to misunderstand what one is reading without the facial and body expressions that communicate so well in real life.

You ready? You look ready.
Just so you know ~ I've got you. You're kind of saying that I'm a silly atheist who became that way because of romantic problems and not because I've studied religion or been all philosophical.

The truth is I've been studying and thinking philosophically for years and years. Now I can't tell you everything I've learned, but, PHILOSOPHICALLY... philosophically my conclusions came mostly from truths about the world.
Philosophically speaking, IMO anyways and I'm sure my teachers would agree, philosophy is not the thing that gets you to an end per se. The only point of it is to keep moving and presenting new ideas...radical ones sometimes. It's just the art of looking at problems, but that's just my opinion on the matter.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Sorry, I don't mean to frustrate the heterosexuals. Here's some cleavage to look at.

That would make me think you'd want me to delete my post. That's anger to me.

Anyway, *ding dong*, it's Jennifer Tilly.
From one hetrosexual to the sites premier homosexual, I say thank you for the pics.

I think "she" got "bust"ed for bringing crack aboard an airplane once.

I just don't really wanna go into them right now. It's hard for me to debate, I guess. I also have a headache. Plus, this thread is now even more absurd, thanks to me. Care to comment about James Randi's sex appeal?
I honestly wouldn't presume to guess as to how much you've thought about this or that. I don't think you're just a "silly atheist" and I have no trouble believing that you've been toying with the idea for awhile. I'm just saying that the impetus is clearly relationship troubles. You've had a hard time of it over the last year or so, and if that's coincided with an increase in skepticism towards faith, I think it's reasonable to wonder whether or not that's a coincidence.

I'll gladly take you at your word if you say there are deeping reasons behind it all. If you ever care to share them, I'll certainly listen. I'm just going off of what I have, which is, at the moment, a rationale about destiny that I think points in the opposite direction of the conclusion, and a thread announcing a shift in beliefs which coincides with the aforementioned difficulties. I certainly realize, though, that as is always the case with other people, I don't have the whole picture.

You ready? You look ready.
I honestly wouldn't presume to guess as to how much you've thought about this or that. I don't think you're just a "silly atheist" and I have no trouble believing that you've been toying with the idea for awhile. I'm just saying that the impetus is clearly relationship troubles. You've had a hard time of it over the last year or so, and if that's coincided with an increase in skepticism towards faith, I think it's reasonable to wonder whether or not that's a coincidence.

I'll gladly take you at your word if you say there are deeping reasons behind it all. If you ever care to share them, I'll certainly listen. I'm just going off of what I have, which is, at the moment, a rationale about destiny that I think points in the opposite direction of the conclusion, and a thread announcing a shift in beliefs which coincides with the aforementioned difficulties. I certainly realize, though, that as is always the case with other people, I don't have the whole picture.
I'd be interested to see if he still feels the same way now.

Over the years, I've found myself in several tough spots and every single time they've affected my core beliefs. Mind you, I never just instantly changed my mind as I, personally, find that very practice to be shaky at best, if not entirely fake. However, I did find myself to be more influenced by material I read, listened to, and saw. It wasn't until a year ago that I realized this and decided to commit myself to a philosophy degree. I don't limit myself to what I read or might possibly believe now. Two years ago I did just that and I honestly do believe I took more steps backward than forward.

Originally Posted by John McClane
I'd be interested to see if he still feels the same way now.
I hope there is a God. I really do. Sometimes, I actually do believe in one. I used to feel a lot stronger in my belief of God.

There was a surprising "synchronicity" on August 6th in my life that definitely turned the tables on the whole atheist thing. I've always been interested in synchronicities, but they were getting rarer and rarer.

I'll be honest ~ this whole "fabulous atheist" thing was basically started in anger at the guy who dumped me. However, I did really feel like an atheist the day I made this thread. But, I had been plotting in my head - when I suspected he wasn't that into me - to tell this church boy that he made an atheist out of me, just because I thought it might f**k with his head (I know, I'm terrible at revenge). I said nothing when we actually spoke on the phone and he said it was over between us - but the next day, I came here, made this thread, changed my religion to "atheist" on Facebook (for him to see), etc.

I just... I can't deal talking about God and religion with everyone, especially firm believers in heaven / hell / Satan / Jesus / that kind of thing. I don't know what's out there. I don't know what comes after, if anything. I am open minded to the possibility of it being something unexpected. Because there are so many cultures in the world -- and also, because there are so many PLANETS in the universe -- billions and billions, undiscovered -- Jesus probably isn't everywhere. Beliefs must be different all over. I think that Christianity is okay if you wanna believe in it, but I personally feel limited by that stuff.

I don't fear hell. I don't think about the possibility of going to hell. I'm certainly not ever going to believe that you go to hell by being gay. But I'm open to the possibility of darkness and evil spirits, or whatever it is.

Yet at the same time, I'm confused because a lot of simple things on Earth can seem "evil". Is murder always evil? What if it's done to have food to eat, as with animals? There are other examples - I just can't think of them all now.

I fear that when I die, everything's over, forever. That's my greatest fear. All I can really say is that I'm hopeful that it isn't true. Although, the afterworld better be a hell of a lot better than life. When Yoda and I are dead, and we both make it to heaven, and he makes a Movie Forums up there, there better not be any need for me to remake "The MoFo Support Group".

My idea of heaven is Nebbit gets the biggest pair of boobs instead of wings.

Hello, my lovelies.

I have an announcement to make. I've decided that I am now an anteater.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The problem is that you have to eat a crapload to get filled up. I know; I've been an Anteater since 1973.

Originally Posted by zedlen
Hello, my lovelies.

I have an announcement to make. I've decided that I am now an anteater.
This made me laugh for real.

I am no longer a fabulous atheist.

This thread is null and void. Obsolete.

I have a stronger faith in God now. This I cannot lie about.

I will always understand atheism, but I feel like going on record here and saying... there is a God.

And an afterlife, too!

Is god's first name Jake by any chance?

I tell ya, if God made Jake Gyllenhaal in his own image, I won't be needing Zelda Rubinstein's encouragement to go into The Light.