Most Boring Movie

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Ah, I see. Then the answer is "no" then, is it, Fonzie?

And thanks, for calling me "friend".
Like I said, it all depend on you. We should change the name of this thread to "The Battle of Pike and McClane."
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Originally Posted by John McClane
Like I said, it all depend on you. We should change the name of this thread to "The Battle of Pike and McClane."
Uh, yeah.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah! You go, Girl! Ha, that sure put him in his place!
I don't understand your comment. Do you disagree that likes and dislikes are subjective? Do you believe that art is absolute, that there is an absolute way to judge art? If so, can you scientifically proove that this is so? Since admiration or disadmiration of art is based on the human brain, and the human brain is the product of evolution, how do you derrive an absolutist stance from this? Do you understand the principles of Evolutionary Psychology, Behavioral Genetics, and Psychometrics to understand the origins of human likes and dislikes, the way to measure these inclinations, and how these inclinations manifest itself into societal gains and regressions, which is debatable?

Regards.

Originally Posted by Sedai
I am absolutely stunned at this comment. This is an incredibly complex, layered film dealing with fear, dreams and reality, love, murder, and this film is also a showcase of symbolism:

-The green/red reality vs Ethereal.

-Scottie always spiraling down somehow, be it with his vertigo, driving (always downhill), or falling, this depicts his mental breakdown throughout the film.

-Vertigo also showcases co-dependancy at it's worst, as Madeleine and her husband use scottie as part of thier scheme, Scottie also becomes absolutely dependant on Madeleine for his delusional fantasy. In the second act, after the apparent death of Madeleine, Scottie uses Judy (who is actually Madie) as his fantastical artists pallate, as he tries to remake Judy into the image of his lost obsession (while in reality it is really her!!). This mechanic is ingenius, showing us Hitchcock at his peak.

The opening scene bears mention as well, as it sets up the mental state of our character perfectly. This is a man barely clutching his sanity. He has lost his dream to become chief of police, directly due to his being diagnosed with vertigo. The fact that he is left hanging on the ledge at the beginning of the film also subtly states that he has a long way down to go yet, and we will be along for the ride.

Hitchcock's use of filters in this film was also spectacular, in my mind. The fog filters used in the graveyard scene and the hotel scene is used perfectly to give the impression of a dreamlike state. The use of green lighting (see screenshot posted in cinematography thread) also adds to the ethereal feel of some scenes. Contrasting this is the use of red in the film, for instance after Mady plunges into the ocean, and is rescued by Scottie, Hitchcock shoots the scene where Scottie undresses Mady in a very deliberate way, symbolising a stripping down of the dreamlike apparition he has been tailing. When she emerges from the bedroom after waking up, she is clothed in a red (reality) robe, and seems a much more normal, down to earth person, for the first time in the film.

Eventually Scottie becomes obsessed with Madie, and at the end of the first act, watches as the only meaning he had left in his life comes crashing down on a rooftop. But alas, it's all an illusion. We come to find Scottie has been manipulated. After reading about "That thing in the paper", Scotties "old friend" had concocted a murder scheme to kill his wife, and wanted to fake the death of his wife (she was unaware of this until the first girl drops), so that when he actually killed her, it would go unnoticed. Quite an intricate plan, and Scottie was the perfect fall guy.

But wait!! The film is only HALF over. Here lies the biggest complaint I have heard about Vertigo, the murder is solved half way through! Clearly, Hitchcock's film is about something else, not just a mundane whodunnit!

I could go on for paragraphs about this, one of my favorite films of all time. But I would rather people watch it again (almost required) before passing judgement. This film is about the characters mostly, but also dreams, reality, perception, death, fear, obsession and so much more that transcends an average murder flick.

A beautiful and intricate work of art, as far as I am concerned.
i'm sorry if anyone took offence of my comment but it was just my opinion and that movie really did put me to sleep and after watching the whole thing, i still didn't know what it was on about. but you can all say what you want, so cheers!

Oh, then you've read most of the 5,000-some posts I've made here? Thanks!
You're a little full of yourself.

You're a little full of yourself.
Moi? You're the one who made a generalization about my posts, so I assumed you had read enough to make such a statement. That flatters me, that after such a brief time here you've already made a study of my writing (which, BTW, I heartily recommend).

And you're just little. Hello, down there!

Ok.....Anyways what's the topic of this thread again? O wait it's about boring movies. I was a little too busy with Holden Pike to talk about this. I'd have to say another boring movie would be The Wild Bunch.

Ok.....Anyways what's the topic of this thread again? O wait it's about boring movies. I was a little too busy with Holden Pike to talk about this. I'd have to say another boring movie would be The Wild Bunch.
That doesn't surprise me at all. I'll go out on a limb and say that anybody who thinks The Punisher (2004) is worthy of a four-out-of-four star rating (BTW, if the highest rating possible isn't reserved for masterpieces, what, pray tell, is it there for - in your obviously strained rating system?) would almost certainly find Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch (1969) very boring. Indeed.

Yep I thought you were the one who liked The Wild Bunch. Anyways I haven't seen it, as hinted by the . So don't get your panties in a bunch. By the way I don't have a 4 out of 4 star rating it's 5 out of 5. Another thing I saw The Punisher again and thought it should be a 4 out of 5 so, I'm rewriting the review so I can test out my new writing style. Thanks a bunch.

This thread has turned hilarious. Thanks Holden, I was pretty bored and needed a good yuk or two.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I browsed through this thread in about 10 seconds and here is what I picked up...

A) Someone actually said something to the effect that Vertigo sucked.

It took all my strength, but I managed to keep going.

B) Holden and John McClain started arguing, and the latter actually thought he had a chance arguing with someone named Holden, when he himself is named after a Die Hard star.

Did I miss anything?