AFI

Tools    

How can one hate on Billy? Damn
Hate is such a harsh word...But I'm an uncompromising person, and say what I really mean. Especially since Stirchley and many others were attacking me. If you have yopur issues, frustrations,problems, it's not fair to demonstrate it here picking on me. If you remember I was very nice to everybody to that point when it became hypocrisy. But it was all a lie anyway. this is my true self.

Billy was a genius. But he's just not my cupof tea.
I think he was better at comedic stuff. Have you seen The apartment?

I think he was better at comedic stuff. Have you seen The apartment?
Yes. I liked it a lot, but was abit disappointed in Jack-Shirley relationship, since it's also a romance. They just seem the wrong match. But I love Jack, and Shirley is such a beautiful woman, underrated. But you're right, it's the comedy that shines here.

I said I had no family. I didn't say my apartment is empty.

My fave is Sunset Bouleverd, so I agree with AFI for once.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm not a big The Apartment guy but it needs to be seen again.

Some like it Hot remains the favorite with Double Indemnity right there.

Yeah, some of those picks seem a little baffling when it comes to picking the "likeliest" candidates. It's one thing to like them but if I was going to guess what films from the last 20 years would be most likely to make a list of objective-as-possible classics from an official body like the AFI then I'm definitely not going to think of The Ring.

I was thinking...okay they aren't all going to be dramas...

what was the biggest comedy - probably Anchorman or they'll go Apatow
what was the biggest horror - The Ring(maybe Get Out)

what was the biggest chick flick - Devil Wears Prada

what filmmakers would have to make the cut - Nolan (Dark Knight), Jonze (Her), Scorsese (Departed), Chazelle (Whiplash)

And what really has defined the last twenty years...Disney/Pixar

Frozen, Moana, Finding Nemo, Toy Story 3, How to Train Your Dragon, Inside Out, Up, WallE, Coco, Incredibles

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm not a big The Apartment guy but it needs to be seen again.

Some like it Hot remains the favorite with Double Indemnity right there.

For me, those aren't even my Top 3 Billy Wilder (which is also to his credit).. I love Ace In The Hole, Sunset Boulevard, and The Lost Weekend the most.

I should mention im not big on a lot of the dated snappy dialogue in Wilders noir stuff. Actually the 40s and 50s arent my favorite years for american films.

Nor am I. I hate 40s 50s. Of course it all depends on people, there were good and bad in a decade. But I don't like them as decades, I can say that now even film-wise since ive been on a towering inferno of watching. 40s were Hepburn and Tracy, Bacall and Bogart, all of whom I like only Tracy. His companion is the most beatiful woman I've seen, after Uma tho. But there were also Guinness and Lean, Chaplin, Gable, Keaton, Hitchcock, etc all of whom i love.

I absolutely love those two decades. 60s not so much. Hitchcock, Kurosawa etc were really nailing it those decades! American movies were also great in those days.

I love the 40s and 50s for movies, 30s too...of course. I could be happy watching nothing but old B&W classics. I think I'll trade in my big screen TV for a 1958 Screen Master Deluxe 14 inch tube TV with rabbit ears and any color you want...as long as it's glorious black, white or a shade of gray

I love the 40s and 50s for movies, 30s too...of course. I could be happy watching nothing but old B&W classics. I think I'll trade in my big screen TV for a 1958 Screen Master Deluxe 14 inch tube TV with rabbit ears and any color you want...as long as it's glorious black, white or a shade of gray
haha yeaah ok, it's the same with me and vinyl vs cd. I love BR, but it's just like CD too synthetic, inhuman. Cinema is cinema, just as LP is LP. Going to the movies isn't just the film. It's the entire experience. I'm excited that day. I dress up. Get out of house. Go with a tram or even preferably on foot, taking a long walk of 1-2 hrs to the city center. Maybe buy a math book or a vinyl re-issue. Buy gummy bears, there's an expensive Treasure Candy store, but it's worth it! Wait in the lobby. Hell, i once spent an entire evening at my fave cinema, up on the hills and in the woods bf Return of the king. From 5 pm till midnight. There's a moll.

I absolutely love those two decades. 60s not so much. Hitchcock, Kurosawa etc were really nailing it those decades! American movies were also great in those days.
See you brought up Kurosawa who is my hero. I love a lot foriegn cinema from those time. Also funny because most of my favorites come from the 60s. I dont know if its my favorite decade overall though.

I like them for movies but im more european and asian cinema from that time. Thats not to say i dont like anything american from that time that would be a big lie. Certain types of acting back then turned me off though like in The Maltese Falcon the female lead really killed that film for me.

It would be hard to quantify a decade. That is a tough thing to do. Now I say 60s is something i dont like, but there are so many great movies in the 60s as well. Just too many westerns, a generic plot of good vs evil. A genre which is fun at times. But really overdone. But 1931-1960, those three decades are just brilliant in my opinion. In those days, there weren't too many women oriented movies. Just what the time was back then. That's is why All About Eve is so great. The movie's story is not only brilliant, but Bette Davies... well what can i say about her! Legend. James Stewart also was active in 40s and 50s. almost 70 years on, and he is still one of my fav actors.

To be honest, this decade can be dumped in the garbage. Absolute sh*te.

Welcome to the human race...
I was thinking...okay they aren't all going to be dramas...

what was the biggest comedy - probably Anchorman or they'll go Apatow
what was the biggest horror - The Ring(maybe Get Out)

what was the biggest chick flick - Devil Wears Prada

what filmmakers would have to make the cut - Nolan (Dark Knight), Jonze (Her), Scorsese (Departed), Chazelle (Whiplash)

And what really has defined the last twenty years...Disney/Pixar

Frozen, Moana, Finding Nemo, Toy Story 3, How to Train Your Dragon, Inside Out, Up, WallE, Coco, Incredibles
Get Out makes more sense since it effectively became an instant classic with Academy-level prestige and is shaping up to be one of those films that will define the entire decade. It's interesting how the list as is has only one actual Disney film (Snow White) and one Pixar (Toy Story) as if those are meant to represent both studios as a whole so maybe one wouldn't expect them to add more of those films anyway. The Dark Knight seems like a reasonable pick that also covers another angle (2000s-defining high-brow blockbuster), as does The Departed for being both a Best Picture winner and a Scorsese film.

I mean, that's the thing about trying to pick just a hundred titles that represent the entire history of film stretching all the way back to the silent age - in that context, how much of the list could seriously be devoted to films from just the last 15-20 years? I'd say maybe a handful of titles, plus it's clear from the existing picks that the AFI has a certain kind of film in mind when making this list anyway so those picks would have to be a lot more precise than just whatever above-average Disney films have come out lately.

It would be hard to quantify a decade. That is a tough thing to do. Now I say 60s is something i dont like, but there are so many great movies in the 60s as well. Just too many westerns, a generic plot of good vs evil. A genre which is fun at times. But really overdone. But 1931-1960, those three decades are just brilliant in my opinion. In those days, there weren't too many women oriented movies. Just what the time was back then. That's is why All About Eve is so great. The movie's story is not only brilliant, but Bette Davies... well what can i say about her! Legend. James Stewart also was active in 40s and 50s. almost 70 years on, and he is still one of my fav actors.

I absolutely agree on Bette. She was the highest rated actress when we did actors countdown once. I think it was no.11. But I don't know who's the best actress out there. For example, Katharine Hepburn and Meryl Streep annoy the living hell out of me which isn't to say they can't act tho. I think Juliette Lewis is pretty good, but I have a crush on Daryl Hannah especially after seeing Roxanne again lately. And I know I'm not the only one. She was terrific in Blade Runner, too. I think she was a gymnast which shows there and in another film I can't remember.

All of them would fill my top 5 female actresses! Along with Liz Taylor. Katherine is probably one American actress who pulled off the British accent with ease in Lion in Winter. That has got to count for something!!! Now Audrey, that is someone i do not like that much.

Saying that, do the Brits produce better actors? I always feel somehow it is true!

All of them would fill my top 5 female actresses! Along with Liz Taylor. Katherine is probably one American actress who pulled off the British accent with ease in Lion in Winter. That has got to count for something!!! Now Audrey, that is someone i do not like that much.

Saying that, do the Brits produce better actors? I always feel somehow it is true!
Both Hepburns are gorgeous tho. Kate is only behind Uma Thurman beauty-wise imho.

Me too. Alec Guinness is my fave and in my opinion in the universe of his own as an actor. I'd even go so far and say he's the only true actor who ever lived. The French are great too. Belmondo. I also love Brigitte Bardot. I don't know how good an actress she is, but who cares?

I actually havent seen that many westerns. Personally I think the 90s wasnt a very good decade and things havent exactly gotten better.

31. The Maltese Falcon. Very intriguing plot. It's where it should be.
32. The Godfather Part II. I prefer it to the original, but I like Marlon better than any actor here.
33. One Flew Over The Cockoo's Nest. Difficult movie, not a fave.
34. Snowhite And The Seven Dwarfs. A classic animation. Loved it in a theatre as a kid. A bit lower.
35. Annie Hall. A favorite. Agree with AFI.
36. The Bridge On The River Kwai. A huge favorite. Hella lot higher.
37. The Best Years Of Our Lives. Great. Agree.
38. The Treasure Of Sierra Madre. Don't like it.
39. Dr. Strangelove. A favorite, but lower.
40. The Sound Of Music. A favorite, but lower.

The Treasure Of Sierra Madre, i loved it a lot. Greed, in its raw form, i haven't seen many movies portray it so well. But yes, 38 or something is little bit too high. It can probably be taken off the list or just put in the rear. Or if the list was 150 movies long.

I also haven't seen too many westerns, only the ones that appeared in IMDB top 250 list.

Another one i see, if i ask who is the next Spielberg or Copolla, I really cant name a director that comes to mind. All of them are just from Europe or somewhere else. All the great ones are still white haired 60+ men.