Jacob's Strive For 100 Favorites

→ in
Tools    

Okay, whatever. I don't recall needing anyone's condoning for my taste.
Tell him to go to Hell.

Tell him to go to Hell.
That's a good idea, but I'm just waiting for him to tell me to my face that my taste is ****, and I'll know the kind of person he is.
“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what." - Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005

Well, he can't see your face, so basically he already did that.

Well, he can't see your face, so basically he already did that.
I mean posting the exact quote, "Well, you have a **** taste."

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Back to the Future and Jurassic Park are two of my favorite movies too.

I also love Terminator 2: Judgment Day. It's easily the best of the Terminator series.

Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 are both great movies, but I still think the first Toy Story is the best of the series.

I like The Dark Knight, but mostly for Heath Ledger's performance as The Joker. The story is okay, but without Heath Ledger, I doubt the movie would be the classic that it's become.

#12 - V For Vendetta

Directed by James McTeigue
Written by The Wachowski Brothers
Released on March 17, 2006
Starring Hugo Weaving as "V" and Natalie Portman as "Evey Hammond"

I was 16 years old when I came across my second movie based on an Alan Moore work (the first was "From Hell", but I didn't like that movie much). Back then, I didn't know who Moore was, but years from then, I'd come to appreciate his stories very much.

I could never get into the graphic novel of this movie though, as it was too dry for me, considering it's a political thriller. This was one of the few cases where I'd prefer the adaptation over the source material, even if I do agree that the actual movie is a shallow 'flash and bang' compared to the novel, perhaps even more so than Watchmen. V For Vendetta carries a great concept of freedom and authoritarianism, but it never really felt like an art piece resonating whatever message the graphic novel had; instead, it merely felt like a really great action movie.

Not that I've got a problem with that. The quotes are great, the message is true, and it rarely had a boring moment for me.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
V For Vendetta gets a little love around here. I was very indifferent to it but have not seen it since the theater.

#13 - Fight Club

Directed by David Fincher
Released on October 15, 1999
Starring Edward Norton as "The Narrator" and Brad Pitt as "Tyler Durden"

If you ask me, what is the movie I've rewatched the most, I'd either name you The Incredibles (which I've rewatched over 50 times in the theater when it was released), or Fight Club.

Funny story about Fight Club is that... it related to me, a lot. Kind of. See, I had to deal with existential nihilism a handful of times in the past few years, and whenever I was in that mood, I'd watch Fight Club and reminded myself that life would be okay even if it's pointless.

Of course, the whole point Tyler Durden was trying to make was for people to be free without reliance on social norms, which was kinda contradictory of me back then to rely on the movie to guide me - and boy, did it become my guide, for a while. It almost became religious in a way. But that's what happens when people have an existential crisis... I guess.

Anyway, it was a fun movie to rewatch. The message it holds rings especially true in the modern world, where consumerism is higher than ever, and that made it even more fun to rewatch just to see the irony of it.

#14 - The Incredibles

Directed by Brad Bird
First Released on October 27, 2004 (London Film Festival)
Starring
- Craig T. Nelson as "Bob Parr / Mr. Incredible"
- Holly Hunter as "Helen Parr / Elastigirl"
- Sarah Vowell as "Violet Parr"
- Spencer Fox as "Dashiell Robert "Dash" Parr / The Dash"
- Jason Lee as "Buddy Pine / Syndrome"

I think I remember The Incredibles' script by heart. Everytime I rewatched it, I'd start spitting out the lines before the characters do.

Of course, when I rewatched it 50 times in the theater, it was all just to get another glance at Violet Parr... Come on, I was 14 when the movie was released. It was perfectly normal to have an infatuation on an animated character at my age.

I remember writing a lot of fan fiction revolving round this movie, even years after my initial viewings. Boy, before Toy Story 3 came along, The Incredibles was something really special to me. And it probably still is.

It’s A Classic Rope-A-Dope
Hard for me to believe someone watched something in the theater 50 times. That being said The Incredibles is fine.

I really hope people don't actually go to the movies to see something 50 times. That could cost hundreds of dollars and I just don't think it's worth it.......

#15 - Liar Liar

Directed by Tom Shadyac
Released on March 21, 1997
Starring Jim Carrey as Fletcher Reede

I'll admit, it's pretty difficult for some people to enjoy Jim Carrey's sense of humor. It's slapstick, which means a number of people might find it stupid. But damn, did this movie make me laugh.

In fact, most of Jim Carrey movies just didn't seem all that great to me. The Mask was okay, Yes Man was Yes-Meh, and Ace Ventura was horrible as far as the critics knew. But Liar Liar just seems to be the only one that made me laugh, most probably due to the slapstick style of comedy, as I did enjoy the Mr. Bean TV series a lot as well.

I really hope people don't actually go to the movies to see something 50 times. That could cost hundreds of dollars and I just don't think it's worth it.......
I had a fortune for a while back then. I liked Pixar a lot, and I felt, "Why not? I'll support it."

I agree with you about Jim Carrey and Liar Liar. Most of his movies don't do much for me either, but Liar Liar is the best of his movies.

If you haven't seen it, you should give Bruce Almighty a try. That's another Jim Carrey movie that's pretty funny.

If you haven't seen it, you should give Bruce Almighty a try. That's another Jim Carrey movie that's pretty funny.
Yep. I've seen it. But the second-half of the movie felt kinda dragged on, so it won't end up on my favorites.

I have to admit, it's a pretty damn fun movie though.

Okay, whatever. I don't recall needing anyone's condoning for my taste.
I'm just trying to say I don't like those movies with a bit of tongue in cheek.

I condone Watchmen and V for Vendetta though.

I'm just trying to say I don't like those movies with a bit of tongue in cheek.
Heh... Sorry for my overreaction then. I just tend to be on my guard a lot with movies I enjoy because I know a lot of them aren't necessarily AFI material, and people might pick on that.

#16 - Die Hard
"Yippee-ki-yay, motherf***er."

Directed by John McTiernan
Released on July 15, 1988
Starring Bruce Willis as "John McClane" and Alan Rickman as "Hans Gruber"

Poor McTiernan. After his last movie, Basic, back in 2003 (which was a critical failure), he seemed to disappear from filmmaking. In fact, I'd rarely hear of his name unless it's associated with either Die Hard or Predator, two movies with such a clever scripting that left me wanting more from him... until I found out that he didn't write the script for either of those. Ah well.

The director aside, Die Hard is such a fun movie like Aliens and Back to the Future. It has quite a number of elements that made it fairly interesting, including Theo, whose lines, though few, were so much fun.

Theo: "So Kareem rebounds, right? Feeds Worthy on the break, over to A.C., to Magic, then back to Worthy! Right?"
[Karl shoots and kills the desk guard with a perfectly timed aim]
Theo: "BOOM! Two points!"

And of course, there were the one-liners from Bruce Willis that could beat Arnold's catch-phrases, the remorseful cop sub-plot with Al Powell, and the excellently portrayed main antagonist, Gruber himself, probably one of the most memorable antagonists of mainstream cinema. Just these little things that make it a fun overall experience for two hour and 12 minutes.

Yep. I've seen it. But the second-half of the movie felt kinda dragged on, so it won't end up on my favorites.

I have to admit, it's a pretty damn fun movie though.

Yeah, Bruce Almighty is not as good as Liar Liar, but it's one of Jim Carrey's better movies. I think the first half is better than the second half because the second half becomes more of a "message" movie, but in the first half, he's still trying to figure out what's happening.

I love the scene when he holds his hand behind his back and asks Morgan Freeman how many fingers he's holding up.

I think the first half is better than the second half because the second half becomes more of a "message" movie
Yeah, I kinda got the message, but I felt it didn't work with the movie, especially with a Jim Carrey comedy movie. The Truman Show, on the other hand, worked beautifully with the message because the message flowed fluently, but the message in Bruce Almighty just felt kinda forced. And preachy.

I love the scene when he holds his hand behind his back and asks Morgan Freeman how many fingers he's holding up.
Oh yeah, that was a lot of fun. But I think my favorite scene was when he split his soup into half. God, I laughed my ass out of that one.