What war movie will discourage anyone from joining the military?

Tools    

None. My dad was in Vietnam and he used to make me watch Vietnam and other war movies. My favorites were the anti-war films like Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Hamburger Hill, and Apocalypse Now that made war look like hell. They just made me want to join the military more. I joined the National Guard when I was 18 but was discharged a year later for medical reasons. So yeah, no film will ever make anyone not want to join the military who has their mind set on it. The only time you realize you've made a mistake is your first week of boot camp, or when your using your helmet to hold your intestines in.

I was going to post some of my dad Vietnam pictures but I need at least 25 posts.
I think it's probably true that, especially for boys, a steady diet of Hollywood war films, regardless of which ones, will actually encourage them to go to war.

Once a boy/man is 16 or so and set on joining the military I can't think of much that would dissuade him, including the documentaries I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread.

However, if parents are dead-set against their sons (or daughters) joining the military, they could forbid all Hollywood movies and commercial TV, and from the time they are very young, only show their kids documentaries like those. That might do the trick, although a fascistic domicile like that might be hard to rule for 18 years.

Perhaps a documentary against the military? A documentary stating: "if you go to the military, besides the health risks involved if you sent to the battlefields, you will be underpaid by the time you hit your 40's if compared to a private sector jobs".
Join at 18 and you are retired before that once you hit your twenty year mark.

But a documentary is the better choice as opposed to a film because it is reality. However the DS's showed us Restrepo to us in basic and that didn't work either. And as for an anti military documentary, I bet someone who wants to join the military will either brush it off and ignore the message, or turn it off when he gets sick of it.

If you are dead sent on joining the military ain't nothing or nobody stopping you.

Source Code...

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Paths of glory, since it not only focuses on war but on the overall military structure and hierarchy.
Great pick.

probably Platoon

Full Metal Jacket and Apocalypse Now were great films but criticised for not being as accurate.

Come and See is a amazing russian war films acclaimed for having the best accurate depiction of war by men who were in WW2 themselves.

That films is up there with Apocalypse Now I highly reccomend it.

I think Platoon was really eye-opening for its time. I watched it last year and still found it very powerful.

Full Metal Jacket only!

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Fires on the Plain is one of the most harrowing, bleak and grim war films of all time. Come and See is also incredibly honest in its depiction of war, and Paths of Glory is, perhaps, one of the greatest political anti-war films of all time, as I see it more of a critique of the military, as an institution, than anything else.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Platoon was a fantastic film full of horrible imagery, but like a post before this said, if you want to join the military, no war film is going to dissuade you.

Reviews