2009 Academy Award Nominees

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm upset about Springsteen. He wins Golden Globe and doesn't even get nominated. Worse, they only nominate 3 songs.

Suspect's Reviews

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
And you forgot to mention that 2 of those songs are from the same movie....

Yeah, and I think Ledger's the odds-on favorite to win, too.

Definitely more frustrated as I reflect on the nominations. If films like Jurassic Park and The Dark Knight don't merit nominations, isn't that the same as saything that almost no action or comic book film ever does? What is inherent in character studies and pure dramas that are almost invariably deemed better than thrillers or adventure films? Why are the emotions those films create more objectively valuable?

And since when is a film which depicts a moving event the same thing as a moving film? Are films about the Holocaust great, or is the event itself so staggering that the strength of the emotional reaction is built into the topic?

Yes, I know there are exceptions. I know the LOTR films were nominated. I know The Silence of the Lambs won. But I also know that these are exceptions to the rule.

It wasn't always like this, I don't think. From 1975 to 1977 we saw Jaws and Star Wars receive nominations, and we saw Rocky win. It's hard to imagine a similar outbreak of populism these days.

Ledger should really get the nod as best supporting actor as know one else really sticks out from the past year. As for The Dark Knight not getting nom for best pic, I mean it was never gonna triumph in that category anyway, not with the likes of Slumdog Millionaire and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Will be interseting to see which one of them takes it though..