Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I Take This Woman (Marion Gering, 1931)
+
Men, eh .... you can't live with them...

deadpool 2, 9/10

Solo

They probably could have made a decent trilogy with the idea's, character and story. But they just sort of rushed and crammed everything into it, it felt like a check list sort of film. You had these five big set pieces where it would have been better to just have 1. They really could have done something special with this one, made it into a Bladerunner style noir and held off on Lando, Millenium Falcon, etc. Just tell the story of a guy trapped on an Alien planet during a war and attempting to get off it. In place we got a series of cheap deaths, dumb action sequences and wasted potential.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)

Solo

They probably could have made a decent trilogy with the idea's, character and story. But they just sort of rushed and crammed everything into it, it felt like a check list sort of film. You had these five big set pieces where it would have been better to just have 1. They really could have done something special with this one, made it into a Bladerunner style noir and held off on Lando, Millenium Falcon, etc. Just tell the story of a guy trapped on an Alien planet during a war and attempting to get off it. In place we got a series of cheap deaths, dumb action sequences and wasted potential.
Sounds like it’s the type of movie that should have cast The Rock

Welcome to the human race...

Solo

I think if you drop the setpieces and whatnot then it stops being either a Han Solo movie or a Star Wars movie - Solo isn't a soldier in the OT so it makes no sense to centre an entire war-themed movie around him (though that's not a bad idea for a different standalone), and even on the noir front this already plays like a "wrong man" noir as opposed to the "detective" noir of Blade Runner (which, again, wouldn't make sense for Solo). Won't argue about the wasted potential, though.

It leaves no hope.
WARNING: "." spoilers below
Eh, the family gets saved by the knight's actions so it's not completely hopeless, much less evil. Might as well say that Blade Runner has no hope.

Last movie I watched...

O Lucky Man! -

Good(?) Lord

I think if you drop the setpieces and whatnot then it stops being either a Han Solo movie or a Star Wars movie - Solo isn't a soldier in the OT so it makes no sense to centre an entire war-themed movie around him (though that's not a bad idea for a different standalone), and even on the noir front this already plays like a "wrong man" noir as opposed to the "detective" noir of Blade Runner (which, again, wouldn't make sense for Solo). Won't argue about the wasted potential, though.
Ideally, if I was in charge of Han Solo

Part 1 - The Third Man
It should have been Han on the planet trying to get off of it. Have him run from the Empire, hook up with Chewy, introduce Beckett/Rio Durant/Val and tell the story of Qi'ra. End the film with him getting off the planet and use this as an intro Dryden Vos etc.

Part 2 - Casablanca
Should have been a love story, you get Lando at this point, maybe you do the train heist at the end for another reason. Though you have to wonder why they use trains in the future when you have space ships.

Part 3 - Wages of Fear
Kesel Run, the big showdown with Dryden Vos and then all the other things that happened at the end.

What we ended up with was same old same they took no time to tell a distinct or particularly interesting story. Chances are I'm going to completely forget about this two years from now.

WARNING: "." spoilers below
Eh, the family gets saved by the knight's actions so it's not completely hopeless, much less evil. Might as well say that Blade Runner has no hope.

Last movie I watched...

O Lucky Man! -

Good(?) Lord
It ridiculises everything. Including itslef. Ingmar was alost soul, and such can't have much hope. You have to know what you want, have a goal, distinguish between good and evil. This movie is lost for me. A main theme is silence of God. Can't be much hope there. I'm a Christian. I don't get it how it gets saved. Death comes for them. Even the woman says it's finished. It leaves no hope.

Ideally, if I was in charge of Han Solo

Part 1 - The Third Man
It should have been Han on the planet trying to get off of it. Have him run from the Empire, hook up with Chewy, introduce Beckett/Rio Durant/Val and tell the story of Qi'ra. End the film with him getting off the planet and use this as an intro Dryden Vos etc.

Part 2 - Casablanca
Should have been a love story, you get Lando at this point, maybe you do the train heist at the end for another reason. Though you have to wonder why they use trains in the future when you have space ships.

Part 3 - Wages of Fear
Kesel Run, the big showdown with Dryden Vos and then all the other things that happened at the end.

What we ended up with was same old same they took no time to tell a distinct or particularly interesting story. Chances are I'm going to completely forget about this two years from now.
I reckon that the train is better for transporting explosives because a fixed rail system with limited room for movement is more controlled than the free-range movements of ships.

Given where the story goes, I am still thinking whether or not it's ultimately better for Qi'ra to be a childhood friend than just a random encounter. Maybe better, though. Not sure that changing the order of the setpieces will do that much good, though, especially if it's just one after the other in a way that messes with the overall pacing.

It ridiculises everything. Including itslef. Ingmar was alost soul, and such can't have much hope. You have to know what you want, have a goal, distinguish between good and evil. This movie is lost for me. A main theme is silence of God. Can't be much hope there. I'm a Christian. I don't get it how it gets saved. Death comes for them. Even the woman says it's finished. It leaves no hope.
Maintaining one's sense of hope and/or faith can be a struggle sometimes and it's not "evil" to suggest that that struggle can be hard (if not impossible) for some people or that one easy way to maintain faith is to pervert it into hypocrisy and persecution, especially since it's the struggle to be good that makes it worthwhile (and that informs the knight's goal as he ultimately plays Death's chess game to save the family, which is in itself a selfless/ostensibly Christian act). It's a theme that he's dealt with many times in his films from various angles, but I'm hesitant to actually recommend any of these titles to you.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Man on fire. Denzel never disappoints me in this, either does the very young Dakota. I wonder how many child actors the producers saw before choosing her. I thought she was excellent. And I think it was the first time I saw Radha.

Man on fire. Denzel never disappoints me in this, either does the very young Dakota. I wonder how many child actors the producers saw before choosing her. I thought she was excellent. And I think it was the first time I saw Radha.
He was great in that. It was the first film where I saw him properly and understood his reputation. Then when The Equalizer came along it just added even more to my interest. Actually I haven't seen Man on Fire for a while but thinking back his character's even more brutal than McCall.

And Radha Mitchell – yes please . Actually I always thought she would have been good as Grace Kelly.

Last movie I watched...

O Lucky Man! -

Good(?) Lord
That's brilliant .

One of the best things in it to my mind is Arthur Lowe as the – black – Dr. Munda . So funny, as well as unexpected. I suppose like Robert Downey Jr. in Tropic Thunder it's a good argument for the idea that white actors playing black characters isn't always intrinsically racist.

This might just do nobody any good.
RDJ got some backlash for that recently, didn't he? He has a lot of goodwill right now so he's okay but there's no way something like it happens so out in the open as it did again. I've honestly avoided a revisit.

I think it got backlash when it was first released anyway - having satirical intent can only get you so far and it's not hard to understand why people would have zero tolerance regardless of whether or not it's being genuinely satirical.

Un flic -

in case you ever wanted to see Colonel Trautman pull off a lengthy train heist

In your opinion!
For Joel, Rocky II is a better film. For me Rocky III is even better than Rocky II. It's a matter of opinion and taste.
Sure you could have your own opinion and taste, similar to some people think the Earth is flat. That's fine.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
He was great in that. It was the first film where I saw him properly and understood his reputation. Then when The Equalizer came along it just added even more to my interest. Actually I haven't seen Man on Fire for a while but thinking back his character's even more brutal than McCall.

And Radha Mitchell – yes please . Actually I always thought she would have been good as Grace Kelly.
Yes he does play a really brutal character. The final half hour or so is quite a gut wrencher. As far as Radha is concerned, she's just so understated. None of the Hollywood pouting for the camera with the ridulous toes pointed inward. What on earth is that! Just really down to earth from what I've seen. She seems free of Hollywood fakery.

I've always thought that of Denzel as well, unless I missed Hollywood fake news. And isn't there a lot of that lately!

Cell (Tod Williams, 2016)

I'd rather have been locked in one without a telly for just over an hour and a half tbh