THE DARK KNIGHT (Nolan's BATMAN sequel)

Tools    

Yeah, I gotta say...I've mostly disagreed with the idea that Ledger's death has been spurring the excitement, and I still don't think it's the primary factor...but I don't think it's an insignificant factor any more, either.

A lot of people are confessing that it enhances their excitement. I still think the tremendous promotion, early word-of-mouth, quality of Batman Begins and the character of the Joker are most of the reason, to be sure. But I'm starting to think that Ledger's death has given the excitement an extra edge it might not have had otherwise.

Sorry, double-post!

I'm curious about the effect the viral marketing has had. It's been going on for about a year now, hasn't it? Has anyone here been significantly involved in it?

I gotta say, though, the more I think about this, the more I think the actual character of the Joker is the single biggest driving force of the excitement. I think many factors have contributed to the hype, but I'd have to single that one out as a bit bigger than the others.

It's funny to think that the marketing campaign for The Dark Knight effectively began the moment that playing card showed up on screen in Batman Begins. Intentionally or not, that started the ball rolling even before the film was a certainty, implicitly building hype for what was to come.

A lot of people are confessing that it enhances their excitement. I still think the tremendous promotion, early word-of-mouth, quality of Batman Begins and the character of the Joker are most of the reason, to be sure. But I'm starting to think that Ledger's death has given the excitement an extra edge it might not have had otherwise.
I agree with you about all of that. I have a friend who is OBSESSED with Batman. When news broke about Heath's death in January, he was the first person whose reaction I wanted to know. He just laughed about that and now he says he's totally over Heath's death.

There is something chilling about the fact that Heath Ledger died before The Dark Knight came out. It's an action movie, a very dark one, which I assume will be filled with death and risky things. I'm hoping The Joker dies in the end... I have no idea if he does or not. He did in the 1989 Batman movie. I hope he does so that there isn't the chance someone else will play The Joker again... at least, not in another Nolan/Batman movie.

A system of cells interlinked
Meanwhile, my local theater has ambiguous information up regarding their midnight showing. The listing says:

Thurs - 12:01 AM

But that can't be right, can it? That would be a day early. It seems they would post the midnight showing as:

Friday - 12:01 AM

Right? I mean...the film opens on Friday, so how could I see it tonight?

They won't answer the phone over there, and the auto-menu doesn't list ANY midnight show on any day...

I just know they're coming to kill me.
I'm curious about the effect the viral marketing has had. It's been going on for about a year now, hasn't it? Has anyone here been significantly involved in it?
I was, Chris.

Check out the link for it here.

They say those of us who were loyal to the viral will get much more out of the film. I certainly hope so. Got my midnight tickets sealed in an envelope, and I'm avoiding all rumors/spoliers/reviews trailers to the best of my ability.

Meanwhile, my local theater has ambiguous information up regarding their midnight showing. The listing says:

Thurs - 12:01 AM

But that can't be right, can it? That would be a day early. It seems they would post the midnight showing as:

Friday - 12:01 AM

Right? I mean...the film opens on Friday, so how could I see it tonight?
I'm seeing it tonight... at 12:01, just like you. All of the (major) theatres around here are showing it at 12:01 tonight. And if you wanna see it tonight, BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW. My closest theatre has already sold out so I have to go to another one.

OK, After work I am heading over to see if i can score the tix...]

UPDATE - McClane just got back from his theater, who has it listed the same way (albeit in VA), and they told him they meant Thurs Night/Friday morning at 12:01 and NOT tonight. You may want to call the theater, SC.

I just read the New Yorker review, and man, do I hate that guy. Instead of reviewing the film, he compares it to Burton's film for most of the review, and then tries to get all self righteous stating:

“The Dark Knight” has been made in a time of terror, but it’s not fighting terror; it’s embracing and unleashing it—while making sure, with proper calculation, to set up the next installment of the corporate franchise. - Some idiot - New Yorker Magazine

Fighting Terror? You have got to be kidding...

Yeah, my theater usually lists it the same way. Confusing as it is, I think it'd probably be just as confusing (if not moreso) the other way. The tickets themselves usually say "Thu Eve" or somesuch on them, though it'd be more helpful if the time listings had that notation as well.

I was, Chris.

Check out the link for it here.

They say those of us who were loyal to the viral will get much more out of the film. I certainly hope so. Got my midnight tickets sealed in an envelope, and I'm avoiding all rumors/spoliers/reviews trailers to the best of my ability.
Ah yes, I forgot about that thread! Thanks for the link; I'm checking it out now.

You'll definitely have to let us know what we missed out on if and when it does end up "enhancing" your viewing of the film.

Originally Posted by Sedai
UPDATE - McClane just got back from his theater, who has it listed the same way (albeit in VA), and they told him they meant Thurs Night/Friday morning at 12:01 and NOT tonight. You may want to call the theater, SC.
I really hope you're wrong... I just spoke with my partner, who bought the tix, and he confirmed that it says "07/17/2008, 12:01am, auditorium 16, Regal".

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
When it's a midnight showing it's the night before....morning of.

So Thursday 12:00 AM is the Friday, I'm sure.

So not today, not tonight.....but Thursday night.

If I am wrong and you see it tonight....I am jealous.

Suspect's Reviews

You ready? You look ready.
I really hope you're wrong... I just spoke with my partner, who bought the tix, and he confirmed that it says "07/17/2008, 12:01am, auditorium 16, Regal".
Where do you live again, SC?

"Friday, July 18, 2008 (EDT), in North America[109] — with "Special Pre-Opening Thursday Midnight Shows" on July 17, 2008"

If you're in a huge city than yes, your showing is most likely tonight. As for me, my ticket says "12:01 Fri 07/18/08."
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

So I really might be seeing The Dark Knight tonight afterall???

I live in Arlington, VA, right outside Washington D.C. I guess Washington D.C. is considered a big city (doesn't seem so big to me).

Don't you live in Virginia too? Maybe you should move up here.

My tickets say "Thu Eve." If I had to guess, I'd say your showing is tomorrow, if only because anything before then is an advance screening. You really ought to just call the theater, though. I'm sure you won't be the first person to ask.

Well, according to my ticket, it's 07/17/08, 12:01am. That's only a few hours from now. If it's legit and I'm watching it tonight, there will be a new post in Sexy Cineplexy tomorrow morning.

You ready? You look ready.

So I really might be seeing The Dark Knight tonight afterall???

I live in Arlington, VA, right outside Washington D.C. I guess Washington D.C. is considered a big city (doesn't seem so big to me).

Don't you live in Virginia too? Maybe you should move up here.
Yea, you're seeing it tonight.

No thanks, I may not get anything cool where I live (yes, I live in Virginia too), but I make do. As for D.C., it's definitely a large city.

Yea, you're seeing it tonight.
Hot damn!

What does one wear to a Dark Knight sneak peak? Something black and rubbery?

I'm surprised you're so sure, John. Are you basing that on anything other than the way your tickets are printed? Because I've seen examples to the contrary, and it's clearly not done the same everywhere.

I was poking around Fandango and found a list of showtimes for the Regal Ballston Common 12 in Arlington; it has two 12:01 AM shows listed for Thursday, July 17th. It doesn't have any 12:00 or 12:01 AM shows for Friday, July 18th, which means the ones on the 17th must be tomorrow, and not tonight.

I don't know if that's Jason's theater, of course, but it can't be far. Either way, I'd keep calling, Jason, to make sure.

I just called and it was confirmed that the showing is indeed tomorrow night.

Sigh...