The MoFo Top 100 of the Nineties Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Magnolia's towering presence is omnipresent now, fending off magnificent films such as Unforgiven, Schindler's List, Silence of the Lambs and Heat.

T.J. Mackey would approve of the MoFo.

Yes, but that doesn't mean someone will feel it more. You can recognise how tragic and awful something is without feeling it or without feeling it in the way might with something else or even the same thing presented in the different way.

Well, the saddest he's seen. In time, that'll almost certainly change simply because he will. It's the same for all of us.

#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Yes, but that doesn't mean someone will feel it more. You can recognise how tragic and awful something is without feeling it or without feeling it in the way might with something else or even the same thing presented in the different way.
Indeed. A novel can make you sad even though it's only ink on paper.

The music analogy I have taken over the dialogue of Tarkovsky's Stalker. The writer observed that music has absolutely no relation with anything real but it can move us deeply.

Well, the saddest he's seen. In time, that'll almost certainly change simply because he will. It's the same for all of us.
Not only because I will change but also because I will watch other stuff and someday, something will top it.

My ranking of saddest films is partially as follows:

1 - PMMM the movie parts 1 & 2
2 - GofT, Bicycle Thieves, Tokyo Story, Ikiru
3 - The Elephant Man, Schindler's List, Late Spring
4 - Paths of Glory, The Pianist, Plague Dogs

I should also note that I read on reviews and several different people commented in the internet that they never ever cried in any other work of fiction before they watched PMMM. It's indeed very powerful stuff since it is fundamentally a film about suicidal depression and clinging on the last possibilities for hope amidst a world of despair. It's a true tragedy film that tortures psychologically innocent little girls for nearly 4 hours and is an astonishingly cruel work of fiction. It's similar to GofT in intensity but instead of lasting 90 minutes it last 240 minutes.

While it's possible that I may find Shoah to be even sadder, I still think PMMM would remain forever one of the saddest works of fiction I ever experienced.

And Magical Princess Creampuff's Adventures is saddest of all...
I know you are trolling but I feel badass by saying that a movie on the same genre as Cardcaptor Sakura is the saddest thing I ever watched. It's like Hamlet but with more pink!

Saying that an holocaust movie is the saddest is almost a boring cliche.

I'd recommend it. It's actually pretty comedic throughout, so it's not a totally depressing movie. But it definitely gets nightmarish through to the end, as you might expect.
Both Shoah and Life is Beautiful are on my watchlist.

I should also note that I read on reviews and several different people commented in the internet that they never ever cried in any other work of fiction before they watched PMMM. It's indeed very powerful stuff since it is fundamentally a film about suicidal depression and clinging on the last possibilities for hope amidst a world of despair. It's a true tragedy film that tortures psychologically innocent little girls for nearly 4 hours and is an astonishingly cruel work of fiction. It's similar to GofT in intensity but instead of lasting 90 minutes it last 240 minutes.
Did the witches get her?

I know you are trolling but I feel badass by saying that a movie on the same genre as Cardcaptor Sakura is the saddest thing I ever watched. It's like Hamlet but with more pink!

Saying that an holocaust movie is the saddest is almost a boring cliche.
Nah, I was so devastated by Trigun that I retreated into my bedroom closet for four months, nibbling crackers and peeing into a bottle.

Nah, I was so devastated by Trigun that I retreated into my bedroom closet for four months, nibbling crackers and peeing into a bottle.
Man, you are so badass!

I am actually losing my sensibility to movies since I have watched so many powerful films over the past 30 months that films that impacted me greatly now appear to be quite weak. It's like when you use cocaine and it's effects become weaker with time. That applies to any type of emotion: happiness, fear, sadness. For instance, I am quite sensitive to horror films but when I watched Videodrome a few weeks ago, one of the best horror films ever made, I didn't have a powerful reaction as I would have a few years ago.

As we are practically certain of the last 9 entries of the list, it is maybe time to point out my top 3 favorite '90s films that didn't make it.

For me:

1. Bullets Over Broadway (1994)

One of Allen's funniest, most wicked and interesting films! It's also beautifully filmed and it works very well as a period piece too. I didn't really expect that it would make it, but it certainly made my list.

2. Out of Sight (1998)

I actually expected this to make it in the beginning, but it seems that it isn't that popular around these parts. For me, it's still one of the most entertaining and stylishly made crime/romance films I've ever seen. Despite all the style, it also had a very sweet core, which I really appreciated personally.

3. Carlito's Way (1993)

This is probably the best and most complete film Brian DePalma ever made for me, besides perhaps Blow Out. It's stylish, it's full of awesomeness, but opposed to a lot of De Palma's other films I also thought it had a certain gravitas.
Yes, it is about a gangster who tries to retire, but has to do that one last job, and it sounds very cliché, but I think this film tells it extremely well. Sean Penn's performance in this is also AWESOME! Great film.

Now that you mention it I'm surprised Carlito's Way didn't make it. Three I expected to see (but didn't vote for) would be In The Name of the Father, Hearts of Darkness and Night on Earth.

My favourites that didn't make it - Satantango (would have been number 10 on my list if seen in time), The Road Home (would have been at 14) and A Taste of Cherry (would have been at 18). Wish I had seen those movies in time but I think only Satantango may have made it with my votes.