The best "female" horror movie

Tools    

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Were any of the above mentioned movies actually written by females?
Oh, is that what we were going on about?

Oopsie. I just thought females in the main role...

Originally Posted by Chef Brian
Me too

Oh, is that what we were going on about?

Originally Posted by nebbit
Me too
Could be… but Stew said "from a woman's perspective" … and IMO, unless a female wrote the above mentioned movies, then technically they would just be the male authors notions on a woman's perception of horror…

But don't mind me… I just had a little bit of a problem with the self-proclaimed "World's Horniest Scotsman" telling me (a female) what "many of the deepest and darkest horrors that would affect a woman" were…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Could be… but Stew said "from a woman's perspective" … and IMO, unless a female wrote the above mentioned movies, then technically they would just be the male authors notions on a woman's perception of horror…

But don't mind me… I just had a little bit of a problem with the self-proclaimed "World's Horniest Scotsman" telling me (a female) what "many of the deepest and darkest horrors that would affect a woman" were…
Those are some very good points, Cait. Good post!

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Well, then, in that case would "Interview with a Vampire" and "Queen Of The Damned" count considering that they were originally books written by Anne Rice? Even though the main characters in both films were guys? I wouldn't consider the films to be horror, more like Dramas with vampires...

I am having a nervous breakdance
Well, then, in that case would "Interview with a Vampire" and "Queen Of The Damned" count considering that they were originally books written by Anne Rice? Even though the main characters in both films were guys? I wouldn't consider the films to be horror, more like Dramas with vampires...
I haven't seen Queen of the Damned but Interview with a Vampire isn't exactly your ordinary macho slasher flick (thinking about the homo-erotic sub-kontext). But, as you said, they don't really fit this genre we're talking about.

Within film studies the horror genre is probably one of the most analyzed and debated genre and especially feminist film critics and theorists have paid a lot of attention to it. The fact that historically the horror/slasher genre has been a lot about "the last chick" but still the majority of the audience are young men, that's something that is worth looking at.

What Cait is saying is true. Most horror flicks about women are made by men who are defining what women's fears are or should be and then make movies designed for men's perception of what women are afraid of.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
true they weren't very horrific vamp films, but i thought they were great nonetheless

I would've thought everyone would have said Halloween as only a few people did. and Scream i think, by the end of the trilogy i felt so bad for sydney after everything she'd been through she must have been totally fuc/ked up in the head. Especially from that scene in scream 3 in the set of her house with the killer.

Bruce Campbell Groupie
The Sleepaway Camp trilogy-Go Angela!

I am a glorified ape.
Originally Posted by OG-
Ginger Snaps just did so many things right during a time in which everyone thought everything had either already been done to the point it couldn't be redone or that no one could possibly come up with anything new worth being new. Then Ginger Snaps came out of nowhere and proved everyone wrong.
Um. What did Ginger Snaps do that was so revolutionary?

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Another female horror film worth checking out is The Hunger.

Movie is most noted for a sex scene between Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon.

My favorite part is when Bauhaus does "Bela Lugosi is Dead."

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally Posted by kevinkelly
Um. What did Ginger Snaps do that was so revolutionary?
When was the last time you saw a werewolf movie that was original? When was the last time you saw a horror movie that was made in North America that was original? Those two answers alone should indicate how strong of a debut Ginger Snaps was, though I never called it revolutionary and never would call it revolutionary.

But if you want more, just take a look at the actual characters in the movie. It was a movie about teens that wasn't even geared towards teens. It didn't let the marketing of the film bleed into the actual production of the film and contaminate the whole thing. This is probably because it was Canadian, but regardless it still holds true in the horror market place as of late.

Oh, and I'll go out on a limb right now and stake the claim that Cursed is going to have a lot of similarities as Ginger Snaps. It'd be cool if it didn't, but that's just a hunch...

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Originally Posted by Loner
Movie is most noted for a sex scene between Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon.
Originally Posted by nebbit
I love the Hunger.

Homosexuality is assuredly no advantage, but it is nothing to be ashamed of, no vice, no degradation, it cannot be classified as an illness; we consider it to be a variation of the sexual function, produced by a certain arrest of the sexual development. It is a great injustice to persecute homosexuality as a crime—and a cruelty too.

Sigmund Freud
Are you trying to say something nebbit?

I am a glorified ape.
Originally Posted by OG-
When was the last time you saw a werewolf movie that was original? When was the last time you saw a horror movie that was made in North America that was original? Those two answers alone should indicate how strong of a debut Ginger Snaps was...
First of all, you asked me two questions. You did not provide two answers. Yes, you are INDICATING that Ginger Snaps was original, but you are not providing any evidence as to why. I don't remember anything very original in the film. Two girls are walking alone at night. One gets attacked by a wolf-like creature and begins to go through changes (a metaphor for puberty...like all werewolf films)...she discovers her sexuality, etc... Kinda reminds me of a little movie called An American Werewolf in London (and every other werewolf film made from the p.o.v. of the werewolf). So what's so original?

Originally Posted by OG-
...though I never called it revolutionary and never would call it revolutionary.
Originally Posted by OG-
Ginger Snaps just did so many things right during a time in which everyone thought everything had either already been done to the point it couldn't be redone or that no one could possibly come up with anything new worth being new. Then Ginger Snaps came out of nowhere and proved everyone wrong.
If you're not calling it revolutionary by saying that the film 'did SO MANY things right during a time in which EVERYONE thought EVERYTHING had already been done, etc'. What are you saying, exactly?

Originally Posted by OG-
But if you want more, just take a look at the actual characters in the movie. It was a movie about teens that wasn't even geared towards teens. It didn't let the marketing of the film bleed into the actual production of the film and contaminate the whole thing. This is probably because it was Canadian, but regardless it still holds true in the horror market place as of late.
So you're saying the film is original (albeit not revolutionary) because it had teenagers in the film, but wasn't marketed toward teens (even though Werewolves are metaphors for Human Puberty which is something of keen interest to teenagers)? I fail to see how that is relevant. However, let's just say that this is true. Wouldn't that make the marketing of the film original or at least functional, and not the film itself?

Originally Posted by Loner
Are you trying to say something nebbit?
Ummmmm Errrrrrrrr.............I am not frightened by Homosexuality........or I am a Lesbian................or nothing..............probably nothing.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
First of all, you asked me two questions. You did not provide two answers.
Notice how I asked the questions of YOU and not of myself? Hint, hint...

Yes, you are INDICATING that Ginger Snaps was original, but you are not providing any evidence as to why. I don't remember anything very original in the film. Two girls are walking alone at night. One gets attacked by a wolf-like creature and begins to go through changes (a metaphor for puberty...like all werewolf films)...she discovers her sexuality, etc... Kinda reminds me of a little movie called An American Werewolf in London (and every other werewolf film made from the p.o.v. of the werewolf). So what's so original?
If your experience with the horror genre as of late has to do with a movie made twenty years ago and then you want to come to a discussion about modern horror films and why some stand out, try not to point out that your frame of reference is that twenty year old film. I'm not saying that is a bad movie, John Landis in fact made a revolutionary film with that movie, but when I make a statement about how Ginger Snaps is a breathe of fresh air during a time in which the air was stale, An American Werewolf in London doesn't belong in the conversation. Change London to Paris and you're in the game. Talk about any of Kevin Williams pictures and you're in the game. Hell, talk about anything that was released by New Line or Dimension and you're in the game, but not with John Landis.

As for what is so original. Aside from the marketing, as I've pointed out and though you may feel the marketing is indepedent of the film itself, I think the two are very connected as the actual production process these days cannot be neglected when looking at the merits of a film. The sister relationship was fantastic, something that hasn't been seen in a horror film as of late. Yes, it was rather generic and adolescent, this isn't Shakespeare here, but it was more complex and more emotive than any single relationship in any teen horror film of the past half decade.

That alone is enough for me to call it what I did, but if you want more go look at the creature effects in the film or the actual level of acting, which is far above that of its peers.

If you're not calling it revolutionary by saying that the film 'did SO MANY things right during a time in which EVERYONE thought EVERYTHING had already been done, etc'. What are you saying, exactly?
I'm saying exactly what I said the first time around. Ginger Snaps is an original horror movie that was made during a time in which originality was cast way the hell out the window. It isn't that Ginger Snaps is actually some godlike horror movie, it is simply that it is a horror movie that barreled through a crowd of crap to say "hey".

Wouldn't that make the marketing of the film original or at least functional, and not the film itself?
See above.

In The Blair Witch Project, we see most of the film from the female point of view since she is the one holding the camera. At least that's what I thought as I first watched it at the movies. I mean, i'm sure there is a girl out there, who would act exactly as she did if put in a similar situation whereby they get lost and spooked in the woods.