80's Movies

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Yeah, I think we had some sort of discussion about that in my top 120 thread. Whoopi is great in that though. As is Oprah.

I've seen Repo Man, but probably not since I was a child. I think my mom has it on DVD though, so I might steal it and give it a shot.

If I were to submit a list right now, the first dozen or so would be movies I genuinely love, but the rest would be nostalgic favorites like Funny Farm, Herbie Goes Bananas, and Overboard.

I've seen Overboard, which I liked, but I haven't seen the others. I'll have to check them out. I remember seeing The Toy when I was a kid and thinking it was hilarious. I should re-watch that.

Well I can't say I even recommend Herbie Goes Bananas. It's my least favorite of the series (not counting the made for TV one with Bruce Campbell or the stupid Lindsay Lohan one). If I voted for it, I would only do so as a way of representing the entire series, since the first three don't qualify.

Oh yeah, Lohan was in one. I forgot about that. I can vaguely recall seeing a little bit of a Herbie movie, but I don't remember it at all.

They're Disney kids movies about a sentient VW Beetle who races. At one point the car even falls in love with another racecar. They're cheesy and ridiculous and if I'd watched them for the first time as an adult, I'd probably hate them, but for the little kid that I was when I first watched them (and for the little kid that's still there inside me) they're great.

The 1980's were the greatest age in the history of cinema. Why? Compared to the 1990's: only two Miyazaki movies! The 1970's? One Miyazaki movie. But in the 1980's we have FOUR Miyazaki movies!

Besides that fact, the 1980's were the golden age of science fiction movies. Films like E.T., The Empire Strikes Back, Back to the Future, The Terminator, are classics and among the best science fiction movies ever made. David Lynch's Dune also stands as a historical achievement as one of the worst movies ever made, greater achievement in fact that Battlefield Earth.

Finally, the 1980's saw the last gasp of great films by the great directors of the 20th century: the last two Tarkovsky films, Bergman's Fanny and Alexander, Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket and Kurosawa's Ran are among some great 1980's movies.

My top 25 of the 1980's will be very hard to make. The 1990's top 25 was rather easy since I couldn't find many 1990's movies that I loved at the time to make the list so I didn't have to cut anything I could call a great movie out of the list.

I am not a fan of any decade as such... But 40's and 50's rule for me. Other than that, I like movies from all decades. 80's did have some good stuff in it.

Killing Fields, Full Metal Jacket, Gandhi, The Verdict, Children of a Lesser God, Mississippi Burning, Goodfellas, Terminators and Aliens are one of my favorites. There are many others. But don't feel like typing.

I am not a fan of any decade as such... But 40's and 50's rule for me. Other than that, I like movies from all decades. 80's did have some good stuff in it.

Killing Fields, Full Metal Jacket, Gandhi, The Verdict, Children of a Lesser God, Mississippi Burning, Goodfellas, Terminators and Aliens are one of my favorites. There are many others. But don't feel like typing.
Goodfellas is from the 90s and will most likely be top 3 in the 90s countdown.

Goodfellas is from the 90s and will most likely be top 3 in the 90s countdown.
While typing the name, i thought someone who say something about it. 81-90 is a decade. 80-89 is not.

There is no year, 0 AD. The calender starts from 1AD. So from 1AD count 10 years (a decade). It would be 10 AD. And then sequence it till the 1990's from there. Its easy. Decade ending with 9's is a very very common misconception. So is the millennium starting at 2000!

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
There is no year, 0 AD. The calender starts from 1AD. So from 1AD count 10 years (a decade). It would be 10 AD. And then sequence it till the 1990's from there. Its easy. Decade ending with 9's is a very very common misconception. So is the millennium starting at 2000!
As i said elsewhere and earlier at the site, you and The Rodent are mixing apples and oranges. What you say is true for centuries (the 20th) or millenia (the 1000s). We label them a different way. For example. tne 20th century started in 1901 and ended in 2000. The 1900s (4he decade) started in 1900 and ended in 1909. The 1980s are from 1980-1989. Find one reliable source that says otherwise. Always has been and always will be.

As i said elsewhere and earlier at the site, you and The Rodent are mixing apples and oranges. What you say is true for centuries (the 20th) or millenia (the 1000s). We label them a different way. For example. tne 20th century started in 1901 and ended in 2000. The 1900s (4he decade) started in 1900 and ended in 1909. The 1980s are from 1980-1989. Find one reliable source that says otherwise. Always has been and always will be.
I understand where you are coming from. It popular culture to mention 80's or 60's as all the years 8's and 6's. But when i think of a decade, it more towards the stricter definition of a "decade". So for me, when you say 80's, I would always go by the "decade" of the 80's, which is 81-90.

I understand where you are coming from. It popular culture to mention 80's or 60's as all the years 8's and 6's. But when i think of a decade, it more towards the stricter definition of a "decade". So for me, when you say 80's, I would always go by the "decade" of the 80's, which is 81-90.
There is no such thing as the "decade of the '80s".

You would have to refer to '81 - '90 as the ninth decade of the twentieth century or something like that. It's not used in common language.

"The '80s" is a widely accepted term for the years '80 to '89.

Goodfellas is made in 1990, so it's considered a '90s movie.

When I say decade of 80's... i mean 198th decade. Hope this helps. To make it more accurate, the decade in which the years of 1980's fall into.