Global Warming

Tools    

Originally Posted by Golgot
Can't you cook 'em? They're like land shrimp

Sure chocolate covered is best , but the flying ones carry the West Nile virus and the cases have increased stedily over the years.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Bler. They do say that's liable to be an increasing GW prob in places like Europe and the US. Insect-bourne diseases extending their range.

Ah well. We'll have to stick to slugs (they're like, erm, land-cucumbers )

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Anomaly_X7
the way of the dinosaur.
Open the door
get on the floor
everybody walk the dinosaur.

You know what I mean by walk the dinosaur, right?

hehe....that's what I'm talking about...you got it...
everyone...uhhh...actually takes out their carnivorous or herbivorous Saurischia and Ornithischia out for a stroll.

Sorry.

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
Open the door
get on the floor
everybody walk the dinosaur.

You know what I mean by walk the dinosaur, right?

hehe....that's what I'm talking about...you got it...
everyone...uhhh...actually takes out their carnivorous or herbivorous Saurischia and Ornithischia out for a stroll.

Sorry.
Uh, I think your train of thought has jumped the tracks.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by 7thson
Uh, I think your train of thought has jumped the tracks.
Pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up! Back on the scene, Crispy and clean...

OK, back on track here...
I really want to be aware of Global Warming, but I'm afraid of giant apes attacking. Can you harmonize?

I'm afraid the giant apes are busy playing with themselves.

Surveillance is available if you're still worried tho.

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
Can you harmonize?
Will this do?

From what I understand, unusually warm temperatures in the gulf fueled Hurricane Katrina… but there is really no way to determine if global warming was directly responsible for the warmer temperatures… IMO, if there is even the remotest of possibilities that there is a connection between hurricanes like Katrina and global warming, then we all need to educate ourselves and start trying to do whatever we can to either reverse or at least slow down the damage we have already caused…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
...if there is even the remotest of possibilities that there is a connection between hurricanes like Katrina and global warming, then we all need to educate ourselves and start trying to do whatever we can to either reverse or at least slow down the damage we have already caused…
There's definitely more than a remote possibility they're connected

As a US citizen one thing you could do is keep an eye on the voluntary "Asia-Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate" - and make sure it doesn't become just a tool for clean-coal technology exchange. (All the members have notable supplies of coal - and even the use of 'clean' coal doesn't bode well for making any meaningful changes over the coming decades).

It looks likely that the APPCDC is just another cop out - by some very foolish people.

The other thing would be to try and promote the adoption of Kyoto 'standards' in your State etc.

Kyoto's still not enough on its own - But it's something.

Well, that was a bit heavy (And i know your state has got other priorities at the mo Caity).

Time for some light relief methinks...

Originally Posted by Anomaly_X7
the way of the dinosaur.
(Can't believe i forgot about that one )

Oh deary me... it looks like the "Asia-Pacific Partnership on Clean Development and Climate" is full of hot air...

White House environmental expert James Connaughton had these two things to say about it recently: "This partnership is about implementation of a broad range of objectives and not just greenhouse gases," ...and... "Most of our pollution control in America will come through good old-fashioned Wall Street financing,"

That suggests the emphasis is on pollution, not greenhouse gases. Which, you'd think, would be alright. But, it wouldn't be...

Pollution has been shown to have a dampening effect on global warming. Therefore, if you target pollution alone, and treat greenhouse gases as a minor issue, you basically remove an [ugly] buffer to climate change - IE you actually reduce the window of time we have to repair the damage caused.

Here's a brief introduction to the nasty global-warming 'twist' that is global dimming. Check it out - and then be very wary of people who target pollution alone.

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
From what I understand, unusually warm temperatures in the gulf fueled Hurricane Katrina… but there is really no way to determine if global warming was directly responsible for the warmer temperatures… IMO, if there is even the remotest of possibilities that there is a connection between hurricanes like Katrina and global warming, then we all need to educate ourselves and start trying to do whatever we can to either reverse or at least slow down the damage we have already caused…
BTW, Michael Crichton's latest novel State of Fear addresses the issue of global warming from a pretty interesting point of view. I think he claims that global warming is being used by politicians to provoke mass hysteria and widespread panic for political reasons. But that's just Michael Crichton, the author, speaking, and it's only a work of fiction, after all. Not to seem insensitive to victims of natural disasters like Katrina.

Yes well, he's guilty of a lot of 'cherry picking' on the science front (and of assuming that reading a few old publications, and ignoring the collated findings of the IPCC, somehow qualifies him as an expert).

The story's not supposed to be up to much either

Yes well, he's guilty of a lot of 'cherry picking' on the science front (and of assuming that reading a few old publications, and ignoring the collated findings of the IPCC, somehow qualifies him as an expert).

The story's not supposed to be up to much either
Maybe so, but he still makes a valid (and interesting) point about how issues like global warming (along with terrorism, etc.) are exploited by unscrupulous politicians to provoke mass hysteria in an attempt to promote their political agendas. Global warming may well be a valid issue (like terrorism), but that doesn't negate the fact that it is being exploited by politicians (like terrorism).

Well, Crichton, and you it seems, are suggesting GW fears are being abused to further an ulterior motive. What is this ulterior motive? Do you think Kyoto-governments want to operate at an economic disadvantage?

Well, Crichton, and you it seems, are suggesting GW fears are being abused to further an ulterior motive. What is this ulterior motive? Do you think Kyoto-governments want to operate at an economic disadvantage?
No comment on the specifics!

Erm, so you have no reason to believe this "valid" hypothesis you're putting forward then.

Apply it to 'Terror', by all means. Just don't apply it to GW. You'd struggle to find a situation where a politican has secretly worked in another agenda under the cover of GW fears.

Erm, so you have no reason to believe this "valid" hypothesis you're putting forward then.

Apply it to 'Terror', by all means. Just don't apply it to GW. You'd struggle to find a situation where a politican has secretly worked in another agenda under the cover of GW fears.
You're putting words in my mouth. I was referring to a book by Michael Crichton!

I mean, come on! If, e.g., I posted a comment about Jurassic Park, would that mean I necessarily believed in dinosaur cloning?

I didn't put words in your mouth - i quoted the bit where you said:

Originally Posted by dark horse
but he still makes a valid (and interesting) point about how issues like global warming (along with terrorism, etc.) are exploited by unscrupulous politicians to provoke mass hysteria in an attempt to promote their political agendas.
You're the one who was saying the book had a valid point that was reflected in the real world. I asked you to back up that assertion, on the GW front. You couldn't.

Simple as that.

I'm not putting words in your mouth - i quoted the bit where you said:

You're the one who was saying the book had a valid point that was reflected in the real world. I asked you to back up that assertion, on the GW front. You couldn't.

Simple as that.
Okay, then, I stand by what I said, in that case. I do think there is an element of fear-mongering when it comes to environmental issues like global warming, simply because the problem is not half as great as it is hyped up to be by the media and by left-wing political interests. It's exactly the same with terrorism--we do have a problem with terrorism, but the right-wing media tends to hype it up to a level which simply is not necessarily justified by the facts. It's all about sensationalism and media marketing--about selling newsprint and TV ratings! And about promoting partisan political agendas. Simple as that.

Originally Posted by dark horse
Okay, then, I stand by what I said, in that case.
Ok, so finally you're standing by what you've said. But you still haven't presented an ulterior political motive that is lurking behind the reporting of GW phenomenon. Come on. What are these conspiratorial Lefties trying to achieve? How are they abusing the fear-factor inherent in Global Warming?

Secondly, although the media does sensationalise and mis-report the GW phenomenon to get ratings/fill up airspace etc, the scientific community produces plenty of alarming (and factually-accurate) statments on their own. Are you saying the Leftist-conspirators are re-writing the science too? [coz i think you'll find the only evidence that exists in that direction is of Republican incumbants trying to water down official declarations by their own scientists ]